5/2019 Updated Escape Trailer Orientation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
5/2019 Updated Escape Trailer Orientation

FYI - I just received this from ETI regarding new procedure for Orientation.
Escape Trailer Education and Orientation
We are listening to our customers and re-evaluating our approach to the 2 hr orientation you receive when you pick up your trailer.
Feedback from those who have come before you is that the on-site orientations at Escape are information overload. There is no doubt that owning and using a trailer is educational. We would like to make that education easy. We want you to have the best possible experience when you take your Escape.
To that end, we have created a video series using our star presenter Reace Harmatuik. Our strategy is to have you educate yourself at your own pace and in advance of your physical orientation. This will give you the opportunity to focus on the items that are really important to you during your orientation at Escape.
We are also going to change the focus for orientations. Rather than take you through a detailed instruction on the operation of all items, we are planning to identify only the items in your trailer, and specifically focus on any questions you may have.
YouTube Video Series
We encourage you to visit our YouTube site or our Website and work your way through the videos. Your trailer may not have all the options covered in the videos, but you have the choice to skip to the next video.
The whole experience is a la carte, and the videos on YouTube also have closed captioning which is a nice feature.
Questions Questions Questions
You might have questions or things you simply don't understand without physically seeing or touching them. In an effort to be prepared in advance of your arrival, if there are areas that you specifically want us to focus on, please feel free to email us at info@escapetrailer.com
Finally
Sometimes emails get missed and life gets in the way of watching YouTube. So, if you have not had the opportunity to educate yourself in advance of your orientation we will have tablets and a computer available on the day of your orientation.
Thank you for your time, and we look forward to meeting with you at Escape.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I like it! Then the orientation can be focused the areas that a particular customer needs.

Frankly our orientation was a little frustrating. It turned into a 3 hour affair. The reason is they schedule 2 customers at a time, trying to align to trailer model. In our case, the other couple were quite the novices. They had never owned an RV before, never mind a 5.0 TA. Also they were buying a prior year model that had several differences from ours. So much of what was covered was beyond their experience or comprehension. Bottom line, they required a lot of attention. I applaud Escape for taking the time they required to have a safe, enjoyable experience.

In the mean time, we sat around a lot. We understood the situation so were patient but felt bad for Verna who basically worked through her lunch to make sure these folks were taken care of. None the less our paperwork was hung up as a result and we didn't get on the road to Sumas until almost Noon after an 8:30 AM orientation.

This new approach would have made it a lot easier to tailor the in-person orientation to the experience level of the customer. We could have just covered the differences between our old 19' and our new 5.0 in about an hour.

Verna was great by the way. It was just one of those situations where you roll with the punches and make the best of it.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: ?
We could not attend orientation but recently watched these videos. Just like being there.

Plus I just e-mail Dave with the occasional question and within 24 hours I get a reply.

What a great company to do business with.

Ed
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I got the same email. Hope the person who does our orientation understands that we've owned and used everything that's on the new trailer and really don't want to spend a long time there. Don't want to insult anyone but I don't have a lot of patience for standing there being told what I already know. It would be nice if there was an "opt out" choice.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Meandering Orientations

Wish I had recorded mine- it was frankly weird. "Am told you know everything about RV's". The good part was it only lasted 15 minutes.
Old 05-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Got my email tonight also. Orientation 11:30 June 24. I started watching the videos last week when they first showed up on YouTube. Big improvement over the old one. Personally, I'm into overkill. Rather for the briefer to assume I don't know squat than assume I do. From reading the forum it seems there are a fair number of folks that are very intelligent but this is their first rodeo when it comes to RVs. I've been there and I would have appreciated the type of program Escape has established. "Thank You Escape Folks"
Old 05-22-2019, 10:40 AM   #7

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Good for them! The only things I remember from my orientation 2.5 years ago is that the cushions weren't done properly (not a full wrap as we wanted) and the seam sealer stuff along the back edge of the kitchen counter was glossy so it looked like water. Nothing else said to me stuck in my mind and I was completely overwhelmed by it all. And, yes, it was our first RV of any kind. Dirk was half way across the world so he wasn't able to be there to help remember stuff I was forgetting (trailer was a month early and I didn't want to wait for him to come home in 3 weeks).
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Me, too. I think overkill is the best way for Escape to orient new owners, newbie or not. I intend to bring a list of everything I don't understand (a very long list now) to orientation. I've been on a steep learning curve for the past month, but my Build Sheet is due tomorrow. By the time of my orientation in late August, I will have more questions. (The EscapeForum is addictive right now. In my past, more formal, education, I have found the questions from naive persons to be informative. So I am willing to hear what I think I know repeated, so long as my questions can be answered.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:43 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
They may not give you the time to go over your list. I had a list of things and it was basically "don't have time to go over that with you" and they wanted to get folks moving out of there as they had others booked for later in the day. Plus, they wanted to get the trailer out of there so it could cross the border in a timely manner. I was told they had to cross with it before a certain time in the afternoon.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 11:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmgirl View Post
Me, too. I think overkill is the best way for Escape to orient new owners, newbie or not. I intend to bring a list of everything I don't understand (a very long list now) to orientation. I've been on a steep learning curve for the past month, but my Build Sheet is due tomorrow. By the time of my orientation in late August, I will have more questions. (The EscapeForum is addictive right now. In my past, more formal, education, I have found the questions from naive persons to be informative. So I am willing to hear what I think I know repeated, so long as my questions can be answered.
On the email they sent me, they indicated that I should email them a list of my questions before hand. info@escapetrailer.com The videos have answered most of my questions but I've been around RVs and stuff with fairly complex systems. As I mentioned someone that doesn't understand RV 12v/120v RV electrical systems especially plus the other stuff it can be a bit overwhelming. I can also appreciate why the Escape folks want to get us in and out in a timely fashion. Anyway, over the next two months you'll pick up a lot that seems a mystery now. I was certainly no expert but I had a good knowledge foundation and I have still learned a lot since I ordered my trailer January 29. Good luck
Old 05-23-2019, 08:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Farmgirl,
If you have a list of questions, I recommend that you try asking some of them here on the forum. Some very experienced Escape owners will provide thorough answers that you’ll have a chance to follow up on.
When we were just at the factory on Tuesday, we were told that on some days 5 or 6 trailers might be delivered. The person giving your orientation might not have the time or the background to give you a thorough explanation for your questions.
Following orientation, you’re flying solo, so I recommend putting your mind at ease with the answers you’ll get here.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
Thank you all for your information and assistance in answering my questions. Once I have formalized my build sheet today, I plan to take the weekend off before I resume climbing the learning curve!
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My first orientation in 2009 was a couple minutes, fortunately I went camping with Reace that weekend, but really had no much to ask. My second orientation was in 2017 which was about 30 minutes, mostly going over a few things new to me, and that was fine.

I would much rather deal with thins as they arise, and Escape has always been there to help when a couple things arose.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote