6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 12 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 AM   #221
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's intresting - do you have a photo? The Scamp website doesn't show the refrigerator side of the 16'. I realize that this forum is about Escape, not Scamp, but it could be a useful illustration.
No, but I'll take one when I get home after work tonight and get it posted.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:09 AM   #222

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
IADR... I my opinion this thread has become a JOKE!!!
Donna D, censor me if you like, but after three months & 6.4K miles our 6.7 is working just fine... We are now in Missoula, Mt heading for Port Angles & I challenge Klem to meet us at the KOA there to see first hand our experience... Would hate to see fact to get in the way of fiction!!!

Or is this forum all about pontification & no substance

You All Have a Great Day!!!

Larry
Larry, it is nice to know that not everyone is having problems with the fridge. It gives me hope. But I am curious to know what sort of temperatures you have been camping in. It is currently 39 in Missoula, with an expected high of 75. Have you been any where where the temps have been about 90?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 AM   #223

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Donna D, censor me if you like, but after three months & 6.4K miles our 6.7 is working just fine... We are now in Missoula, Mt heading for Port Angles & I challenge Klem to meet us at the KOA there to see first hand our experience... Would hate to see fact to get in the way of fiction!!!

Larry

By definition it's you that is pontificating but hey, lucky you. It does sound as though your ice machine is working. Fill 'er up!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #224

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:

Larry
Hey Larry, I've got some karma waiting for you down here in Anza Borrego!...
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #225

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
It does seem strange that the fridge saga does not seem to be consistant, what I am getting at is they all seem to perform a bit differently. There are those who have had satisfactory performace in really warm weather and there are those who have not in reasonably moderate temperatures. Just seems strange that they don't all behave the same.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #226

By the way, what does IADR mean?
Old 09-05-2014, 11:55 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
By the way, what does IADR mean?
I think it means, " I Am Drunk Right now"...
Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #228
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave macrae View Post
It does seem strange that the fridge saga does not seem to be consistant, what I am getting at is they all seem to perform a bit differently. There are those who have had satisfactory performace in really warm weather and there are those who have not in reasonably moderate temperatures. Just seems strange that they don't all behave the same.
Agreed. It does raise an interesting point though. Since it would appear that some fridges of the same model number have issues and others don't, the "fix" for each may not be the same. Dometic's failure rate for fridges has not been a historically good one either. Some of the units might just be bad from the factory.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:32 PM   #229

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
How many of you all have actually taken your Escape in for warranty fridge service? I have, with only limited success, but I'm at least on record as trying to use their system. Other than Reace sharing our postings, it would be pretty easy for Dometic to deny the problem while all the DIYers are trying all sorts of things. We're camped in Maine in very pleasant temps and our 6.7 is barely keeping up. Another 19 here with the 6.7 is doing less well. Another, older Escape here with the 5 cu ft fridge has never had a problem. Ours has had a fan added on the backside under the warranty service, but it's not really hot enough outside to use it. The Fridge Fix fan doesn't seem to do much, might even make it worse. I'm just waiting to see what happens next. Might even try another warranty service attempt just to keep pestering Dometic.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I think it means, " I Am Drunk Right now"...
Haha! Hey, if you find out it means I Am Drinking Rum let me know first because there's a lot of members that would love to pontificate with Larry! :
Old 09-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Haha! Hey, if you find out it means I Am Drinking Rum let me know first because there's a lot of members that would love to pontificate with Larry! :
I think you are right and I've got some good stuff from the island!...and I may just add that to my signature line...I love this forum!
Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #232

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Though I see it a bit differently, I don't totally disagree with Larry. I do understand the frustration of not having a properly working fridge, especially when it is expected from a company like Dometic. However, this thread (and the other regarding these fridges) seems to bounce all over the place, with no uniformity to the testing, findings, thoughts, or fixes. In fact, if I did not know the background to the problems, and found this thread through an internet search, it would totally confuse me.

There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue. I know it seems to be taking a long time though, and patience can run thin.

I would say to keep your chins up, and wait patiently for the final solution, and not worry too much over this.

If you think I am imperious to fridge problems with the 5.0 in my 19, you are wrong, as I need to replace the selector switch (I believe), as even in the 'off' position, and plugged in at my house, our fridge keeps on going. A couple weeks ago, Lisa plugged it in to do some cleaning, and the fridge doors were propped open a bit. Then earlier last week we went to turn in on, and found it already cold, with a huge block of ice forming on the fins and rear of the fridge.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #233

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Jim,

Maybe when you work on your 5.0 cu. ft. fridge, you could start a new thread on the 5.0
And maybe you could take pix and describe the process. That selector switch is in a stupid location where spills are likely. I've done my best to clean the selector without taking the panel apart. So, you first, Mikey.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:55 PM   #234

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:

Larry
Hi Larry,
I'm happy to hear your refrig is working great for you. And I believe it will work fine in Port Angeles too. You can consider yourself the winner of your challenge! : )

Mine is working in Port Angeles but my intuition, based of 64 years of camping, and 20+ years with Dometic refrigerators traveling for pleasure and work in Wa, OR, ID, MT, UT, & AZ is that this model is weak by comparison.

We plan long trips south in the coming years including to Key West (Florida) so I am very interested in modifying it so it will meet our needs without wasting food (which seems to be getting very expensive).

Sorry if my posts frustrate and anger you. I'd suggest just skipping them in the future.

Happy travels! Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:06 PM   #235

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jim,

Maybe when you work on your 5.0 cu. ft. fridge, you could start a new thread on the 5.0
And maybe you could take pix and describe the process. That selector switch is in a stupid location where spills are likely. I've done my best to clean the selector without taking the panel apart. So, you first, Mikey.
I will do that, I just gotta remember to take the pics. I get into doing something like that, and forget to document.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:14 PM   #236

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though I see it a bit differently, I don't totally disagree with Larry. I do understand the frustration of not having a properly working fridge, especially when it is expected from a company like Dometic. However, this thread (and the other regarding these fridges) seems to bounce all over the place, with no uniformity to the testing, findings, thoughts, or fixes. In fact, if I did not know the background to the problems, and found this thread through an internet search, it would totally confuse me.

There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue. I know it seems to be taking a long time though, and patience can run thin.

I would say to keep your chins up, and wait patiently for the final solution, and not worry too much over this.

If you think I am imperious to fridge problems with the 5.0 in my 19, you are wrong, as I need to replace the selector switch (I believe), as even in the 'off' position, and plugged in at my house, our fridge keeps on going. A couple weeks ago, Lisa plugged it in to do some cleaning, and the fridge doors were propped open a bit. Then earlier last week we went to turn in on, and found it already cold, with a huge block of ice forming on the fins and rear of the fridge.
I agree on many of your points Jim, This issue has certainly "taken off " so to speak. It seems many are having significant issues. The part of it all that I struggle with is that lots of us have had several if not many other trailers with fridges that would get too cold. So to me the problem is not with absorption fridges but with this model. It would be nice to be able to run these things on a middle setting and keep everything at proper temp. If I had to crank it up a notch or two when its 30-40 celcius out side thats fine with me. I know its possible because the previous 5 trailers I had did it. I am afraid that I can't agree with the folks who say oh well just use blocks of ice. There is no reason why we should have to do this. A absorption fridge is perfectly capable, it just needs to be built properly and thats Dometics responsibility. Hopefully they come through and do the right thing and either fix these ones properly or replace them.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #237

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue.
It is certainly fact that Reace is working diligently on the issue. An expectation that Dometic will find a solution, on the other hand, is only a prediction; we can only hope that it become fact at some point in the future.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #238
Site Team

I'm willing to wait. I respect Reace (ETI) enough to know he'll figure this out. Yeah, Dometic is the issue. But does anyone really think ETI would purposely put a crappy appliance in their build? I don't. And (to me) more importantly, I'm not second guessing the manufacturer.

It's not like it's a race where someone can stand up and say "I'VE FIGURED IT OUT." YMMV
Old 09-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #239

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm willing to wait. I respect Reace (ETI) enough to know he'll figure this out. Yeah, Dometic is the issue. But does anyone really think ETI would purposely put a crappy appliance in their build? I don't. And (to me) more importantly, I'm not second guessing the manufacturer.

It's not like it's a race where someone can stand up and say "I'VE FIGURED IT OUT." YMMV
No one has ever said anything negative about ETI or that ETI has installed anything but what they thought was first class equipment in these discussions that I can remember.

These fridges are supposed to be the best on the market.

Reace is fighting for his customers but the fix is not going to be something from him, it will be something he has convinced Dometic to do and it will only happen if and when Dometic decides there is a problem and what the proper fix might be. Reace is driving the bus and we are just passengers unless someone thinks they can take on Dometic alone and good luck with that.

In the meantime we might as well play with our little fixes and mods to get every little bit we can out of our fridges.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #240
Site Team

I realize no one is bad mothing ETI directly, but read back to the beginning... really folks? Give Reace (and Dometic) a chance to figure this out. STOP with some of the really bizarre solutions you THINK you've come up with.

And yeah, I can deal with a cooler and block ice. I camp with folks that spent 3x what I've spent on Ten Forward and they also take a cooler and ice. I don't feel like the red-headed step child...