6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 13 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #241

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I realize no one is bad mothing ETI directly, but read back to the beginning... really folks? Give Reace (and Dometic) a chance to figure this out. STOP with some of the really bizarre solutions you THINK you've come up with.

And yeah, I can deal with a cooler and block ice. I camp with folks that spent 3x what I've spent on Ten Forward and they also take a cooler and ice. I don't feel like the red-headed step child...
Why?? Because one member is getting twisted up about this? I think the discussion has been interesting and it is in many people's nature to try to make improvements...all the time. For example, I learned that some refrigerator's leak air when the MaxiFan is on because the doors sometimes aren't sealed well. I find that very interesting and also useful. Just where is the harm in this??
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #242
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
There's no harm Steve, I just worry about new owners.... some of us have been around the block a few times and follow more forums than just the Escape Forum.....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:07 PM   #243

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I remember Reace telling us that Dometic stated that the T rated refrigerators have Pentane-blown foam insulation. That statement alone stimulated a lot of us to brainstorm ways to improve the insulation around the units we have. ...Again, valid topic and valid discussion.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #244

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We're presently camped many miles from anything resembling block ice. I'm glad that works for some, but that doesn't cut it for us. All this effort for solar, dual 6V batteries for boon docking for extended periods, and we need to find and haul block ice around in order to keep our food cool? The only thing in our favor right now is reasonably cool ambient temperatures. We mostly have to try to camp in cooler climes until (and if) Dometic recognizes the problem and then maybe offers a solution. As one of the early contributors to this particular thread, it's remarkable where these discussions drift. I at least have plugged the cold air leak. Thanks again Alf!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #245

Trailer: 2014 19'
Time to move again! I started a new place for you tinkerers to help me. 6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas?

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #246
Site Team

I have ZERO problems with folks that Tinker.. that's where the best mods come from... it's those on the fringe, that makes my hair start on fire... just be nice and be kind like ALL the ETI owner builds can be...

Remember, not everyone has been here on the forums for months..
Old 09-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #247

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
I have ZERO problems with folks that Tinker.. that's where the best mods come from... it's those on the fringe, that makes my hair start on fire... just be nice and be kind like ALL the ETI owner builds can be...

Remember, not everyone has been here on the forums for months..
I understand and agree, it's all in the presentation. Thanks for 'riding herd' ....
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #248

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
I realize no one is bad mothing ETI directly, but read back to the beginning... really folks? Give Reace (and Dometic) a chance to figure this out. STOP with some of the really bizarre solutions you THINK you've come up with.

And yeah, I can deal with a cooler and block ice. I camp with folks that spent 3x what I've spent on Ten Forward and they also take a cooler and ice. I don't feel like the red-headed step child...

Agree. And when you mention block ice, of course, ice packs can be used for the same effect and you can boondock with them, assuming the freezer is working at night.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:04 PM   #249

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Larry, it is nice to know that not everyone is having problems with the fridge. It gives me hope. But I am curious to know what sort of temperatures you have been camping in. It is currently 39 in Missoula, with an expected high of 75. Have you been any where where the temps have been about 90?
Hi Folks... I'm Back

Leon, our camping weather has been like the movie... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly... with temps as high as 35C (measured 40C in the Sun) with 100% humidity at times

Now for all you pontificators, IADR stands for... "In All Due Respect"... but you are all excused because, unlike the rest of the World, ya'all can't figure out the Metric system either

And Kountrykamper,,, "your" is really "you're"... as in "you are" lucky... sorry about that, but I taught English 10 in my previous life

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:43 AM   #250

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Hi Folks... I'm Back

Leon, our camping weather has been like the movie... The Good, The Bad & The Ugly... with temps as high as 35C (measured 40C in the Sun) with 100% humidity at times

Now for all you pontificators, IADR stands for... "In All Due Respect"... but you are all excused because, unlike the rest of the World, ya'all can't figure out the Metric system either

And Kountrykamper,,, "your" is really "you're"... as in "you are" lucky... sorry about that, but I taught English 10 in my previous life

HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
Larry

Well Larry you got me there! Correcting grammar and typos will really help discussions on any forum. Keep up the good work. Typing on an iPad is hard sometimes when the font is small and the eyes are getting old and if I make a typo please go ahead and use your expertise to correct it.

Sorry for the mistake, I was not an English teacher. I have just been so busy the last 40 years working, teaching and owning businesses in the refrigeration and mechanical contractor fields that I did not worry much about my grammar. So what do I know about the subject being discussed? Actually just a little more than I might let on. And I also know enough about grammar and the English language to know the definition of Pontificator. If you or anyone else doesn't like the thread why would you bother to torture yourself and read it? I skip over threads all the time that don't interest me.

And I would again like to thank Alf for the major find on the door air leak. That probably would not have happened without all this discussion about fridges not working. With all these little fixes I am getting close to having a usable refrigerator at least with the freezer removed.

Conversations like this are why I avoid trying to help people on forums, but sharing knowledge is a great thing so thanks again.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Tom
Old 09-06-2014, 07:48 AM   #251
Site Team

play nice, no name calling unless you're talking about a sticky
Old 09-06-2014, 07:59 AM   #252

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Thanks Donna. It was early when I read this. I corrected my grammar.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:01 AM   #253

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Hi Folks... I'm Back
Now for all you pontificators, IADR stands for... "In All Due Respect"...
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
Larry
By the way (BTW) , TITPWA not everybody knows what they mean.

(This is the problem with acronyms)
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:11 PM   #254

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I too used to loose sleep over grammatical inconsistencies until my son, who took linguistics at University said "Relax dad that is the way language evolves".
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM   #255
Site Team

Kicking grammar to the curb.

I said I'd post pics of the exterior frig vents on my Scamp. It measures 26x15.5 inches, is hinged at the top and is aluminum. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	7718

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	7719

This is the Escape vent, measures 19.5x8 inches, no hinge (it's either on or off) and is plastic. Showing both the side vent and top vent.

Name:	IMG_1283.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	7720

Name:	IMG_1284.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	7721
Old 09-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #256

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks for the photos, Donna.

When people were talking about extra side venting, they meant an exhaust vent for the burner output on the side, rather than having that exhaust go up with the cooling air to the top vent. In the Scamp, that lower vent on the side is the conventional air inlet, with the roof vent as the only outlet. The side vent panel is large, but it needs to be both for intake airflow and because it is the only access to the working side of the refrigerator (unless you remove the appliance from the cabinet). I suspect that Scamp was using the same size vent panel regardless of refrigerator size; the old metal vents generally seem to be about this big. The Escape vent is more typical of recent vent sizes, and the current plastic construction; I don't know which one actually flows air more easily.

I expect that if you open the access panel and look in, you'll find that the heat-producing parts of the refrigerator (the finned tubing and the burner exhaust outlet) are above the top of the side opening. My Boler has a Dometic RM360 with about the same size lower vent as the Scamp, and both condensor and exhaust stack are well above the top of that opening (I just opened the panel and looked). That means that the only significant airflow through the side vent will be inward, as it should be. The net effect is that this is conventional proper refrigerator venting, just like the roof-vented Escapes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 03:02 PM   #257
Site Team

Brian, you're a member of the CasitaForum right? I think this possible solution is interesting, direct link: Keeping the Fridge Cool
Old 09-06-2014, 04:19 PM   #258

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Brian, you're a member of the CasitaForum right? I think this possible solution is interesting, direct link: Keeping the Fridge Cool
That thread provides a list of tweaks, all of which have been discussed in this forum, but a useful summary anyway. I have posted by comments in 6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - post #21.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:06 PM   #259

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Kicking grammar to the curb.

I said I'd post pics of the exterior frig vents on my Scamp. It measures 26x15.5 inches, is hinged at the top and is aluminum. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
Attachment 7718
Attachment 7719

This is the Escape vent, measures 19.5x8 inches, no hinge (it's either on or off) and is plastic. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
Attachment 7720
Attachment 7721
All kidding & fun aside (Larry loves to take out the paddle & stir the stew), your post Donna (c/w pictures) does bring to mind a "hick-up" we had with the fridge, but in a temp in the low 70's. We noticed that the fridge was struggling, but thought nothing of it. Then during dinner, I happen to open the emergency window behind me and felt a blast of hot air coming in. What caused it was that we had forgot to shut off the water heater and the hot air exhaust was entering the window. When I closed the window & checked outside, I could feel the hot air entering the outside fridge vent, perhaps drawn in by the "Texas Fan". Once we turned off the water heater and took more care only to have it on when we needed it, the fridge returned to normal

Not sure this helps...
Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote