6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 24 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-05-2014, 02:20 PM   #231
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Haha! Hey, if you find out it means I Am Drinking Rum let me know first because there's a lot of members that would love to pontificate with Larry! :
I think you are right and I've got some good stuff from the island!...and I may just add that to my signature line...I love this forum!
__________________

__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #232
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Though I see it a bit differently, I don't totally disagree with Larry. I do understand the frustration of not having a properly working fridge, especially when it is expected from a company like Dometic. However, this thread (and the other regarding these fridges) seems to bounce all over the place, with no uniformity to the testing, findings, thoughts, or fixes. In fact, if I did not know the background to the problems, and found this thread through an internet search, it would totally confuse me.

There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue. I know it seems to be taking a long time though, and patience can run thin.

I would say to keep your chins up, and wait patiently for the final solution, and not worry too much over this.

If you think I am imperious to fridge problems with the 5.0 in my 19, you are wrong, as I need to replace the selector switch (I believe), as even in the 'off' position, and plugged in at my house, our fridge keeps on going. A couple weeks ago, Lisa plugged it in to do some cleaning, and the fridge doors were propped open a bit. Then earlier last week we went to turn in on, and found it already cold, with a huge block of ice forming on the fins and rear of the fridge.
__________________

__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:50 PM   #233
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,728
Jim,

Maybe when you work on your 5.0 cu. ft. fridge, you could start a new thread on the 5.0
And maybe you could take pix and describe the process. That selector switch is in a stupid location where spills are likely. I've done my best to clean the selector without taking the panel apart. So, you first, Mikey.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #234
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
IADR... I my opinion this thread has become a JOKE!!!
Donna D, censor me if you like, but after three months & 6.4K miles our 6.7 is working just fine... We are now in Missoula, Mt heading for Port Angles & I challenge Klem to meet us at the KOA there to see first hand our experience... Would hate to see fact to get in the way of fiction!!!

Or is this forum all about pontification & no substance

You All Have a Great Day!!!

Larry
Hi Larry,
I'm happy to hear your refrig is working great for you. And I believe it will work fine in Port Angeles too. You can consider yourself the winner of your challenge! : )

Mine is working in Port Angeles but my intuition, based of 64 years of camping, and 20+ years with Dometic refrigerators traveling for pleasure and work in Wa, OR, ID, MT, UT, & AZ is that this model is weak by comparison.

We plan long trips south in the coming years including to Key West (Florida) so I am very interested in modifying it so it will meet our needs without wasting food (which seems to be getting very expensive).

Sorry if my posts frustrate and anger you. I'd suggest just skipping them in the future.

Happy travels! Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #235
Senior Member
 
Jim Bennett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 11,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Jim,

Maybe when you work on your 5.0 cu. ft. fridge, you could start a new thread on the 5.0
And maybe you could take pix and describe the process. That selector switch is in a stupid location where spills are likely. I've done my best to clean the selector without taking the panel apart. So, you first, Mikey.
I will do that, I just gotta remember to take the pics. I get into doing something like that, and forget to document.
__________________
2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost
2009 Escape 19 (previous)
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #236
Senior Member
 
dave macrae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St.Albert, Alberta
Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Though I see it a bit differently, I don't totally disagree with Larry. I do understand the frustration of not having a properly working fridge, especially when it is expected from a company like Dometic. However, this thread (and the other regarding these fridges) seems to bounce all over the place, with no uniformity to the testing, findings, thoughts, or fixes. In fact, if I did not know the background to the problems, and found this thread through an internet search, it would totally confuse me.

There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue. I know it seems to be taking a long time though, and patience can run thin.

I would say to keep your chins up, and wait patiently for the final solution, and not worry too much over this.

If you think I am imperious to fridge problems with the 5.0 in my 19, you are wrong, as I need to replace the selector switch (I believe), as even in the 'off' position, and plugged in at my house, our fridge keeps on going. A couple weeks ago, Lisa plugged it in to do some cleaning, and the fridge doors were propped open a bit. Then earlier last week we went to turn in on, and found it already cold, with a huge block of ice forming on the fins and rear of the fridge.
I agree on many of your points Jim, This issue has certainly "taken off " so to speak. It seems many are having significant issues. The part of it all that I struggle with is that lots of us have had several if not many other trailers with fridges that would get too cold. So to me the problem is not with absorption fridges but with this model. It would be nice to be able to run these things on a middle setting and keep everything at proper temp. If I had to crank it up a notch or two when its 30-40 celcius out side thats fine with me. I know its possible because the previous 5 trailers I had did it. I am afraid that I can't agree with the folks who say oh well just use blocks of ice. There is no reason why we should have to do this. A absorption fridge is perfectly capable, it just needs to be built properly and thats Dometics responsibility. Hopefully they come through and do the right thing and either fix these ones properly or replace them.
__________________
MacRae, 21ft
2016 GMC Yukon SLT
St.Albert Alberta
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 PM   #237
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
There seems to be a fair bit of reluctance to accept the fact that Reace, along with Dometic, will find a solution the this issue.
It is certainly fact that Reace is working diligently on the issue. An expectation that Dometic will find a solution, on the other hand, is only a prediction; we can only hope that it become fact at some point in the future.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 PM   #238
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,825
I'm willing to wait. I respect Reace (ETI) enough to know he'll figure this out. Yeah, Dometic is the issue. But does anyone really think ETI would purposely put a crappy appliance in their build? I don't. And (to me) more importantly, I'm not second guessing the manufacturer.

It's not like it's a race where someone can stand up and say "I'VE FIGURED IT OUT." YMMV
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #239
Senior Member
 
Kountrykamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Middle, Tennessee
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm willing to wait. I respect Reace (ETI) enough to know he'll figure this out. Yeah, Dometic is the issue. But does anyone really think ETI would purposely put a crappy appliance in their build? I don't. And (to me) more importantly, I'm not second guessing the manufacturer.

It's not like it's a race where someone can stand up and say "I'VE FIGURED IT OUT." YMMV
No one has ever said anything negative about ETI or that ETI has installed anything but what they thought was first class equipment in these discussions that I can remember.

These fridges are supposed to be the best on the market.

Reace is fighting for his customers but the fix is not going to be something from him, it will be something he has convinced Dometic to do and it will only happen if and when Dometic decides there is a problem and what the proper fix might be. Reace is driving the bus and we are just passengers unless someone thinks they can take on Dometic alone and good luck with that.

In the meantime we might as well play with our little fixes and mods to get every little bit we can out of our fridges.
__________________
Tom
Kountrykamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #240
Site Team
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portland, Oregon
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Posts: 6,825
I realize no one is bad mothing ETI directly, but read back to the beginning... really folks? Give Reace (and Dometic) a chance to figure this out. STOP with some of the really bizarre solutions you THINK you've come up with.

And yeah, I can deal with a cooler and block ice. I camp with folks that spent 3x what I've spent on Ten Forward and they also take a cooler and ice. I don't feel like the red-headed step child...
__________________

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward
2014 Escape 5.0TA
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.