6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 26 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2014, 08:48 AM   #251
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
play nice, no name calling unless you're talking about a sticky

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #252

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Thanks Donna. It was early when I read this. I corrected my grammar.

Old 09-06-2014, 11:01 AM   #253

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Hi Folks... I'm Back
Now for all you pontificators, IADR stands for... "In All Due Respect"...
HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
Larry
By the way (BTW) , TITPWA not everybody knows what they mean.

(This is the problem with acronyms)
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #254

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I too used to loose sleep over grammatical inconsistencies until my son, who took linguistics at University said "Relax dad that is the way language evolves".
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #255
Site Team

Kicking grammar to the curb.

I said I'd post pics of the exterior frig vents on my Scamp. It measures 26x15.5 inches, is hinged at the top and is aluminum. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1281.jpg

This is the Escape vent, measures 19.5x8 inches, no hinge (it's either on or off) and is plastic. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
IMG_1283.jpg
IMG_1284.jpg
Old 09-06-2014, 03:36 PM   #256

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Thanks for the photos, Donna.

When people were talking about extra side venting, they meant an exhaust vent for the burner output on the side, rather than having that exhaust go up with the cooling air to the top vent. In the Scamp, that lower vent on the side is the conventional air inlet, with the roof vent as the only outlet. The side vent panel is large, but it needs to be both for intake airflow and because it is the only access to the working side of the refrigerator (unless you remove the appliance from the cabinet). I suspect that Scamp was using the same size vent panel regardless of refrigerator size; the old metal vents generally seem to be about this big. The Escape vent is more typical of recent vent sizes, and the current plastic construction; I don't know which one actually flows air more easily.

I expect that if you open the access panel and look in, you'll find that the heat-producing parts of the refrigerator (the finned tubing and the burner exhaust outlet) are above the top of the side opening. My Boler has a Dometic RM360 with about the same size lower vent as the Scamp, and both condensor and exhaust stack are well above the top of that opening (I just opened the panel and looked). That means that the only significant airflow through the side vent will be inward, as it should be. The net effect is that this is conventional proper refrigerator venting, just like the roof-vented Escapes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 04:02 PM   #257
Site Team

Brian, you're a member of the CasitaForum right? I think this possible solution is interesting, direct link: Keeping the Fridge Cool
Old 09-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #258

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Brian, you're a member of the CasitaForum right? I think this possible solution is interesting, direct link: Keeping the Fridge Cool
That thread provides a list of tweaks, all of which have been discussed in this forum, but a useful summary anyway. I have posted by comments in 6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - post #21.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 11:06 PM   #259

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Kicking grammar to the curb.

I said I'd post pics of the exterior frig vents on my Scamp. It measures 26x15.5 inches, is hinged at the top and is aluminum. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
Attachment 7718
Attachment 7719

This is the Escape vent, measures 19.5x8 inches, no hinge (it's either on or off) and is plastic. Showing both the side vent and top vent.
Attachment 7720
Attachment 7721
All kidding & fun aside (Larry loves to take out the paddle & stir the stew), your post Donna (c/w pictures) does bring to mind a "hick-up" we had with the fridge, but in a temp in the low 70's. We noticed that the fridge was struggling, but thought nothing of it. Then during dinner, I happen to open the emergency window behind me and felt a blast of hot air coming in. What caused it was that we had forgot to shut off the water heater and the hot air exhaust was entering the window. When I closed the window & checked outside, I could feel the hot air entering the outside fridge vent, perhaps drawn in by the "Texas Fan". Once we turned off the water heater and took more care only to have it on when we needed it, the fridge returned to normal

Not sure this helps...
Larry

Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote