6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
That explains why I have not heard of a 6.7 having condensation on the door. I know several 4.3 owners that have had door condensation issues.

Parker has the 6.7 and was having air loss at the bottom but never had condensation on the door. He had not taken his panel off yet but I would say its the same as yours.

Its weird how different they build the same fridge. I think it was MyronL who took a picture of the back of his when he was looking for the 12 volt connections and his fridge looked nothing like ours in the way it was constructed.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #82

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I assume that this entire thread is talking about the 6.7 cu. ft. refrigerator. It appeared as such but I just wanted to confirm it. Sadly, not all posters state which model they own.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:55 AM   #83

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Actually it was I thought a thread on the Series 85xx Dometic which includes the smaller 4 and larger 6 models.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #84

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All...My guess is we have just discovered a running production change. This might be why some have issues...some don't. When I get home from this trip I'm going to use some backer rod that my son gave me to plug the rod hole. Alf
Escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:14 AM   #85

Thanks for clarifying which models. With two different models being discussed, is the issue with both models. Or do we not know yet?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM   #86

Sorry for the confusion. All my pictures have been of our 4.3.

The leaking hole in the bottom of the door seems to be a issue on both models. The slot in the door and open latch area appears now to be a 4.3 issue unless someone with a 6.7 finds different.

The 4.3's have had condensation issues on the door because of the open latch area. I have not heard of a 6.7 having the condensation and Jim's pictures are probably the reason why.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
All my pictures have been of our 4.3.

The leaking hole in the bottom of the door seems to be a issue on both models. The slot in the door and open latch area appears to be a 4.3 issue unless someone with a 6.7 finds different.

The 4.3's have had condensation issues on the door because of the open latch. I have not heard of a 6.7 haveing the condensation and Jim's pictures are probably the reason.
Hi: KontryKamper... One night I left the trailer door open...My Bad... The entire 6.7 fridge door was covered with condensation. This led me to speculate on the leaking of cold air, and the search was on!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #88

So Alf, you have the larger 6.7 model and yours also has the door lock slot?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #89

Trailer: Escape
"The 4.3's have had condensation issues on the door because of the open latch area".
The open latch area as in not insulated ?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
"The 4.3's have had condensation issues on the door because of the open latch area".
The open latch area as in not insulated ?

See post #31 & 32 which is my 4.3 and compare to Jim's photos of his 6.7 in post #80
Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #91

Trailer: Escape
On the 4.3 frig 3/8" or 1/2" caulking beading and a 2" strip of 1 1/2" wide closed cell tape can be used to fill the linkage grooves and the latch opening. You can put two beading strips in the groove below the linkage .
Old 08-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Sorry for the confusion. All my pictures have been of our 4.3.

The leaking hole in the bottom of the door seems to be a issue on both models. The slot in the door and open latch area appears now to be a 4.3 issue unless someone with a 6.7 finds different.

The 4.3's have had condensation issues on the door because of the open latch area. I have not heard of a 6.7 having the condensation and Jim's pictures are probably the reason why.
Darn. As a future 6.7 owner, I was hoping this would be an easy way to get a big improvement in performance. The fridge is my biggest concern about our new trailer. Haven't had a bit of problem with the fridge in our 17b.

Is there anyone out there who has a 6.7 fridge and is happy with it? or is the discontent universal?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #93

I'm pleased with mine, have not had anything spoil and it keeps my beer cold. I think the problems had were those in extreme heat areas, further south than you nor myself.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:49 AM   #94

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
No issues as yet but then I haven't spent any time in the south with it.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM   #95

Observation: Last night when I removed the door trim I turned off the interior fans. This am when I took the picture- 7am the readout was 42/4, outside was around 70. I turned the fans back on because they were calling for a hot day. I just checked the readout, now it is 38/0 with the fans running and outside 89 degrees. I do believe these fans help the refer operate via lowering the interior temperature. I did not touch anything else, it is still on setting #3 as it has been for past week. Just my observation….
Old 08-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #96
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Darn. As a future 6.7 owner, I was hoping this would be an easy way to get a big improvement in performance. The fridge is my biggest concern about our new trailer. Haven't had a bit of problem with the fridge in our 17b.

Is there anyone out there who has a 6.7 fridge and is happy with it? or is the discontent universal?
Leon, in almost every case IMHO the fridge issues are related to high ambient temperatures, because the ones used by ETI are not designed for hot climates. Most folks who live up north (like Jim) report acceptable performance.

Its a huge concern for us, living in south Texas, but YMMV.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #97

I have a problem with the 6.7 that has been mentioned a few times, once by Reace, and that is that refrigerator fails to keep things cold while driving. I was originally of the opinion that the flame would go out and fail to start while driving. That was what Reace alluded to in his post. Now, I am wondering if I have leakage and somehow a suction is created in the trailer while driving and the cold is escaping the refrigerator?

Reace's mention is post # 81

We have not encountered warm weather like our southern colleagues, therefore performance is fine when parked.

We tend to have drive times of a solid 3-4 hours. That is when we see the temperature drop. It is hard to measure as our remote thermometers will not transmit while driving. It is not till we stop that the thermometer will sync and give an accurate reading. Lots of stops, slow driving all could keep things running or reduce the cold loss through a leak. Unless you have those solid drive times you may not experience an issue. Again you may not experience this issue at all.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #98

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We seem to have the same thing going on with our 6.7. Right now, stopped in a rest area after freeway driving in mid 70 low 80 temps, fridge at 44 with five bars on propane. Been as high as 50 somewhere along the drive. We freeze large blue ice blocks at night and move to lower section during the day. Still doesn't seem to really help much. About to give up and stop measuring, just throw food away as it spoils. Thankfully we're not carrying meat or mayo.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM   #99

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't worry about the mayo.
Contains vinegar.

This from an article in New York Times:
SPOILAGE OF FOOD

UPI

Published: May 12, 1982

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Email
  • Print
  • Reprints

MADISON, Wis., May 11— Commercial mayonnaise may have been unfairly labeled as a source of food spoilage during the warm months, according to a study by the Food Research Institute of the University of Wisconsin. The study found that mayonnaise in salads actually helped reduce spoilage.
Contrary to popular belief, commercially prepared mayonnaise is an unfavorable medium for growth and survival of most bacteria, largely because of its high acidity, said four researchers in an article in a professional publication, The Journal of Food Protection.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #100

Trailer: 2014 E21
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Put us in the discontented but hopeful column. Context: We've generally had temps in the 40s and mid teens. On a few occasions we've had 38/5 or so. Our completely stock 6.7 (with the Texas fan option) is now at 40/13 on 5 bars. Conditions are, at 10AM local, sunny with the driver side facing south and ambient is 93 and low humidity. We did attach a foil sheet on the side of the trailer where the refrigerator is but we don't think it helps much. We could live with 40/13 if it would consistently stay there but we expect the fridge temp to get into the high 40s this PM when the ambient gets above 100. Defrosted early yesterday after nearly 30 days of use; afterwards it took about 18 hours to cool down to 40. We'll be installing the Fridge Fix fan when we get to the Eastern Rally and will plug the hole at the bottom of the door after sending this. Would like to swap out the current fridge for a tropical model or have it "tropicalized". Like others have said, we expect that ETI will work/figure something out.