6.7 Fridge Leaking Cold Air!!! - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2014, 06:38 PM   #201
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
The fridge will not fit in the opening with anything attached to it. It's very tight and you have to remove the molding to get it out. The only place to add insulation is inside the opening past the framing studs.
That's the kind of info I was looking for. Outside insulation board would depend on the enclosure size.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #202

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I believe Reace is insulating the enclosures around the fridge on campers being produced currently.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:24 PM   #203

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Been there done that too. Existing flue does exhaust on condenser some especially when a baffle is installed. Manufactured a new flue to get it above the coils. Noticed no difference but it had to help some to get it above the condenser. You can't go up much higher then the fridge and still be able to slide it in. You would have to remove the roof vent and do it from the top to go any longer.

I found that Dometic actually manufactures something similar to this but seems to only be sold in Australia.
Tom,
Nice find on the Australia flue adaptor so what we have is another small piece of the puzzle in supper tuning are refrigerator. As you stated ( you would have to remove the roof vent and do it from the top to go any longer ) This would not seem to hard to achieve but what my thought is to have your adaptor in place and the Texas fan option would really help a lot.

Mark & Karen Van Tiem 2014 Escape 19 sold, Now a Bigfoot 25B21FB Travel Trailer
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That makes sense, but if venting the unit out the side wall (instead of the roof, a flue extending to the very top of the appliance would not work well. One extending to the roof vent would need to be specifically suited to the ceiling height of the RV, and the refrigerator manufacturer would not want to make a version to accommodate every different RV height.
Brian,
I agree with you I don't see why you could not vent out the side of the trailer in the same matter as is the hot water heater are vented on our trailers.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:45 PM   #205

Extension shown on this site. They make a side exhaust kit too.

http://www.dometicrvcentre.com.au/do...nager/item/421
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #206

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I think that Polyisocyanurate is probably the best insulation board we can use for the refers where a hard board will work. This would be used all around the outside of the box; top, sides (probably 2" thick) and some carefully applied to the back. I think it is even better than the "Pentane-blown foam" insulation Dometic uses in their T rated refrigerators. And, here is some literature I found that talks about the positive impact of foil facings on these boards. We get an extra 2 rating with the foil. R-Ratings of "7.1 to 8.7 per inch" per inch is really good for this insulating board material.

>>>>Foil and plastic facings on these foam panels help to slow the escape of gas from the cell structure. Testing suggests that the stabilized R-value of rigid foam with metal foil facings remains unchanged after 10 years. The reflective foil, if installed correctly, can also act as a radiant barrier (another type of insulation) that adds about R-2 to the insulating assembly. Panels with foil facings have stabilized R-values of 7.1 to 8.7 per inch.<<<<<

This is the website: foam board insulation

Steve (refrigeration engineer in training)
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #207

Look at the cooling rating on this RM 85XX series refrigerator being sold by Dometic in Australia; (bottom of the page). The foam insulation is also mentioned.

RM8501, 106LT FRIDGE, RH | Dometic Australia
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #208
Site Team

Steve, KountryKamper mentioned the fridge would not fit the enclosure with anything added to the outside of the box. Is your enclosure/fridge different?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Steve, KountryKamper mentioned the fridge would not fit the enclosure with anything added to the outside of the box. Is your enclosure/fridge different?
Bryan, if you look at the enclosure pictures you can see big dead spaces around the refer. I plan to fill those spaces with the insulation boards, up to 2" thick, not on the refer itself. To keep the insulation boards tight against the refer sides I will probably back the panels with fiberglass mat to act like a cushion and carefully shoe-horn it in place..
Old 09-03-2014, 11:12 PM   #210
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Bryan, if you look at the enclosure pictures you can see big dead spaces around the refer. I plan to fill those spaces with the insulation boards, up to 2" thick, not on the refer itself. To keep the insulation boards tight against the refer sides I will probably back the panels with fiberglass mat to act like a cushion and carefully shoe-horn it in place..
OK that makes sense-- tight fit surrounded by foam.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #211

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
... I don't see why you could not vent out the side of the trailer in the same matter as is the hot water heater are vented on our trailers.
It can be done, and is often done, but the roof vent allows better airflow by natural convection (the hot-air-rises flue effect). Side exhaust vents are now only done where there is something that keeps the air path from reaching the roof (such as a refrigerator location under the counter or in a slide-out, but they need to be accommodated by the appliance manufacturer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It can be done, and is often done, but the roof vent allows better airflow by natural convection (the hot-air-rises flue effect). Side exhaust vents are now only done where there is something that keeps the air path from reaching the roof (such as a refrigerator location under the counter or in a slide-out, but they need to be accommodated by the appliance manufacturer.
Hi Brian,
Did look at the Dometic link that Tom post on his post #205 on the second page towards the bottom it show the boiler flue being vented out the side of the trailer and the rest of the heat from the back of refrigerator being vented out the roof vented. I believe that there will still be plenty of heat from the rest of the refrigerator to form a good flue flow.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
Did look at the Dometic link that Tom post on his post #205 on the second page towards the bottom it show the boiler flue being vented out the side of the trailer and the rest of the heat from the back of refrigerator being vented out the roof vented. I believe that there will still be plenty of heat from the rest of the refrigerator to form a good flue flow.
I missed that, and thought you were talking about venting everything out the side. That's an interesting combination! I agree the roof venting would be good for the heat from the coils, and the burner exhaust out the side should work fine.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:25 PM   #214
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My Scamp has both. The side vent is nearly as big as the entire back of the refrigerator and it also vents out the top. Old 4.3 cu 3-way, works fine....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 01:51 AM   #215

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
IADR... I my opinion this thread has become a JOKE!!!
Donna D, censor me if you like, but after three months & 6.4K miles our 6.7 is working just fine... We are now in Missoula, Mt heading for Port Angles & I challenge Klem to meet us at the KOA there to see first hand our experience... Would hate to see fact to get in the way of fiction!!!

Or is this forum all about pontification & no substance

You All Have a Great Day!!!

Larry
Stargeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 02:26 AM   #216
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargeezer View Post
Donna D, censor me if you like, but after three months & 6.4K miles our 6.7 is working just fine... We are now in Missoula, Mt heading for Port Angles & I challenge Klem to meet us at the KOA there to see first hand our experience... Would hate to see fact to get in the way of fiction!!!

Larry
Two cents: If you're having no trouble with your fridge, I suppose you could take that as proof that nobody is. Unfortunately, a number of 6.7CF fridge owners are reporting just the opposite. I don't see anyone pontificating, but I do see alot of people trying to help each other solve a problem. THAT'S part of what I think this forum is for, but YMMV.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #217

Quote:

Larry
Well your the lucky ONE!!

After 7K miles and a year of fridge problems I'm glad to hear yours is working. Hope your spent some time in warm weather to test it while you were out.

Having several other personal Escape owner friends who have both the 6.7 and 4.3 fridge, some who have over 12K miles and have not not had a working fridge in weather above 85 degrees I would hardly call it pontification when they discuss their problems.

Since these fridge posts have almost 30000 views, Reace saying Dometic has admitted there is a problem and are working on a fix there must be some substance to them and I would say the pontification might be in your post or maybe its that looking through rose colored glasses thing coming out again.

Have a wonderful day!!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:33 AM   #218

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... Well we have experienced a new operational chiller. The power went out the other nite in a thunderstorm. The trailer was plugged into shore power 120V at home, but did not re start when the power came back on. Tripped the breaker in the surge protector and the RML8555 was up to 60* inside by mid morning. Looks like I should have set it to Auto so it could have picked another sourse of cooling heating.
We really must feel happy for those having no issues while we try every angle to make our 8555's perform some what better.
Today we are expecting a heat allert... Will feel like 40*C and that's darned hot by any measure.
We are off to the Glassic Egg Scramble in Algonac Mich. and I sure would like a cold beer when I get set up there. Might have to check out cpaharley2008's supply!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #219

Trailer: Escape
Quote:

Larry
Yall come on down south and share your experiences.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
My Scamp has both. The side vent is nearly as big as the entire back of the refrigerator and it also vents out the top. Old 4.3 cu 3-way, works fine....
That's intresting - do you have a photo? The Scamp website doesn't show the refrigerator side of the 16'. I realize that this forum is about Escape, not Scamp, but it could be a useful illustration.