6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 17 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #161

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... With our RML8555 we tried the complete removal of the freezer compartment. When I put it back in I discovered you can leave it unclipped and still close the fridge door. Doing that leaves about 1/2" gap across the back so no need to drill holes and you can still have your ice cream too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Going to try that and I was thinking to remove freezer door too . We start out with frozen items and it does take awhile to defrost them before we can cook . I really didn't want to make holes . I want to try less first and am not willing to destroy frig . Can't go back . Our Extreme cooler we purchased has to go in truck it takes up too much room in trailer . Just a pain to go outside to get your food , but we do have that now . Walls are very thick cheaper and better then a Yeti . Found on Amazon .

Patandlinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #162

Went out unleashed clips . Problem though freezer box moves around and won't stay . I removed freezer door see what happens . Now the frig should get really confused or do you think it will think it is too cold ?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #163

Trailer: ?
We removed the freezer for our last trip.

There is no sensor in the freezer, only in the fridge. I used the same settings as usual - 4 during the night and when the day is below 70, 5 when it is above 70.

As far as the fridge temperatures and control board are concerned you have increased the available fridge cooling capacity (by taking away the need to make the freezer much colder.) It should be able to maintain acceptable interior temperatures in warmer weather. How much warmer - TBD.

And for the record - I should be able to have a fridge WITH a freezer. This is a work-around - not an acceptable final solution.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

There is no sensor in the freezer, only in the fridge. I used the same settings as usual - 4 during the night and when the day is below 70, 5 when it is above 70.

As far as the fridge temperatures and control board are concerned you have increased the available fridge cooling capacity (by taking away the need to make the freezer much colder.) It should be able to maintain acceptable interior temperatures in warmer weather. How much warmer - TBD.

And for the record - I should be able to have a fridge WITH a freezer. This is a work-around - not an acceptable final solution.
Thankyou to everyone for your suggestions . Going to try this out -with door removed and see what happens . When summer comes around again hope this works too.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #165

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21
6.7 fridge

We need a freezer as we leave home with cooked, frozen meat to last a week or two. Also when leaving the 100 weather we need the freezer to switch out the blue ice with the refrig. until we can reach the coast or some where north. We also switch from setting 4 to 5 based on temp outside. I'm afraid pictures wouldn't show much, but we do plan on going to BC for the rally as well as the good sam in AZ this next spring and we usually spend some time in CA through out the summer to ESCAPE the heat here.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #166
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... With our RML8555 we tried the complete removal of the freezer compartment. When I put it back in I discovered you can leave it unclipped and still close the fridge door. Doing that leaves about 1/2" gap across the back so no need to drill holes and you can still have your ice cream too!!! Alf
Excellent find; could probably secure it with velcro tape against the inside walls and the bottom of the freezer compartment to keep it from wandering.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #167

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

I strongly agree!
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 03:31 PM   #168

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Excellent find; could probably secure it with velcro tape against the inside walls and the bottom of the freezer compartment to keep it from wandering.
Hi: tractors1... Red Green would rather you used Duct tape!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:27 PM   #169

Trailer: 2014 19'
PULLING the PLUG

I 'pulled the plug' and boxed up the cooling unit. I've been told some 'magic' will be done

To pull the plug there is only a few screws after the fins are off inside. Disconnect the obvious wires and pull the thermistor.

It's basic Erector set until you need a knife and gently separate the foil cardboard from the metal box.

Then gently lift the plug which can be snug. Foam is blown in while the cooling unit is installed for a tight fit. Hopefully you have enough release agent ... a few cannot be pulled (it is said).

Looking forward to hearing how our cooling unit does in 'surgery' .... I was told again today they feel very confident it's performance can be improved significantly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Plug pulling done small.jpg (99.6 KB, 49 views)
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #170

Trailer: Escape
Klem thanks for the removal details. Please keep us posted.