6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2014, 02:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 19'
Ok, so thanks to 'someone's' help these should be right, I flipped them wrong ...

Whoops, I just previewed and 2 that I turned 'right 90' stayed there and 1 I flipped right 90 ended up left 90.

More experimenting later .... enjoy the day

Klem

Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #42

Good news, I saved these photos through Photoshop Elements and they loaded correctly (up is up!) Thank you RBRYAN for revealing the problem.

Pictures- the copper flue extension with the stock tip pointing up and away, the picture of insulation with the 'chimney' in the upper left that the extension fits into to move the heat up another 8" or so. And a picture of the stock flue pipe. Notice the stock flue pipe dumps hot air behind the refrig right where we are trying to cool.

Everyone should have the kinks out of their neck now ..;

Mel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 Flue extension pe.jpg (193.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 7 Insulated box flue extension UP pe.jpg (253.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Stock refer vent pe.jpg (202.8 KB, 49 views)

Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Mel, nice modification. You might as well insulate the flue pipe extension. To minimize heat radiation in that area.

Steve
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:06 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Nice work Mel. The before and after photos of the fridge back really clarify the problem. Interesting that ETI does not insulate the fridge compartment. I wonder if they'd add it?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0TA Jan. 2015, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Hi Klem, 'someone' here.

Photos taken with an iPhone have metadata included in the file. The metadata helps the phone flip the picture so it displays correctly (landscape or portrait). But, when you display them on a pc, the metadata is ignored -- so it displays the picture in it's 'native' state.

The way around this is to flip the photo on your pc, usually 90 degrees clockwise, then save it and upload it. Voila! The picture will appear right side up.
The abolutely simplest way to take photos with an iPhone so they always show right-side-up in posts is to remember to hold your camera in Landscape mode for all photos and always for videos. If in doubt, think of a movie screen, long and flat not upright.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
The abolutely simplest way to take photos with an iPhone so they always show right-side-up in posts is to remember to hold your camera in Landscape mode for all photos and always for videos. If in doubt, think of a movie screen, long and flat not upright.
True, but then depending on what you're photographing, you may want a portrait view because of the object's shape -- like Mel's Fridge back -- tall and narrow. Taking a photo of that in landscape view would make the image too wide, and not tall enough. It also holds true for 'full length' photos of people. You don't have to stand as far away to capture the entire image, and therefore the detail is better. In other words, let the subject matter determine the field of view.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Mel, nice modification. You might as well insulate the flue pipe extension. To minimize heat radiation in that area.

Steve
Thanks for catching that. I will put that on the list for the next pull out.

Dometic sells a flue extender that passes out the side of the trailer. I wasn't ready to cut a hole through the side because it would pass through the wood baffle and I couldn't see it through the upper vent. With this install I can visually inspect the flue chimney and check temperatures etc.

All the installs should get the flue heat out of there. Can you imagine on a hot day dumping the burner heat directly behind the box? No surprise to me that these installations have trouble on hot days.

Mel
Old 11-17-2014, 07:05 PM   #48

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post

Steve
My thought too. I have some tape of the type used to wrap exhaust pipes. Should work fine.

But when you think of it, why are we having to do things like this? Really poor effort on Dometic's side

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:09 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I don't think we yet know if this "solution" is effective.
What I do know is that somehow this thread on table slides has ended up behind the fridge.

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Nice work Mel. The before and after photos of the fridge back really clarify the problem. Interesting that ETI does not insulate the fridge compartment. I wonder if they'd add it?
Thank you. I just tried to follow 'the spirit of' the recommended Dometic installation.

https://www.dometic.com/enie/Interna...ation-systems/

Notice the LS100 on that page has an integrated flue vent. They also sell a side flue vent for units like the RML8555.

And the LS300 lower vent (which people say isn't sold in the US) has a winter cover and also measures about 2" taller then the lower vent installed on my 6.7. That's why I increased air intake volume from below the traier instead of cutting a larger vent in the side. And the air pickup is in a cooler location.

Mel