6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #141

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Has anyone drilled holes in freezer compartment ? And had any improvement ?
That's a logical idea, and it's been tried by a couple of folks, including Reace. The general conclusion is that it didn't do much to help.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #142

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
" I will be mailing my cooling unit out next week to be tested and hopefully 'repaired'."
Please provide details.
The only details I can give today is that I just pulled my cooling unit and am boxing it to mail away tomorrow. It will be tested by a highly regarded private company working in tandem with another. They work together to solve problems and sell solutions.

They believe they can make a significant improvement in performance but will not know for sure until they inspect and test it.

I promised to not mention their names until they have tested the solution. I will test it during our trip south Feb '15.

Absorption refrigs work in a specific band of temperature. You must keep the condenser in that band. The refrigerant chemistry dictates the the width, low and high temperatures of operation. They will try to give me a wider band and I will attempt to keep the condenser within it.

Hope that helps you understand our challenge. The manufacturer sets the temperature band width by the refrigerant chemistry and we must insure the installation keeps the condenser air circulation temp in that range. That's why the installation is critical, especially with this new generation of fire resistant and more environmentally friendly frigs.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:11 PM   #143

That's really interesting. I tried to get a well known RV fridge repair center to consider that solution, but they wanted to exhaust all other options first, which I guess is logical. I could never quite get them to say they look at the chemical mix if all else failed, even though they seem to have the capability. They were convinced (and tried to convince me) that the solution is to move the thermistor to a warmer spot, which Dometic has never once suggested, easy as that would be.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #144

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Parker... That's what I did. The proof of the putting will be found in Florida this winter. The Thermistor sensor is shown laying on the wire shelf... away from the fins!!! The thermometer pictured is now in our new 22.6 cu. ft. 3 door Frigidaire. Same temp indicated too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030917.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 03:20 PM   #145

Hi Alf; I just knew you would show up if I posted anything about moving the thermistor! We expect a full report from FL. We hope to go the Keys for a short stay which should give us a chance to try out the new cooling loop being installed.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Hi Alf; I just knew you would show up if I posted anything about moving the thermistor! We expect a full report from FL. We hope to go the Keys for a short stay which should give us a chance to try out the new cooling loop being installed.
Hi Parker...SORRY!!! Maybe this solution is just to unscientific for a refer engineer. I did put the Torx screw back in the fin plate just in case!!! Alf
Old 12-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #147

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hey Alf, that is a nice thermometer, particularly for my tired eyes, where did you acquire it?
Old 12-14-2014, 07:28 PM   #148
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hey Alf, that is a nice thermometer, particularly for my tired eyes, where did you acquire it?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=2470954011

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #149

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
That's a logical idea, and it's been tried by a couple of folks, including Reace. The general conclusion is that it didn't do much to help.
Do you think it would if they were larger and back and front ? Pretty sad you can't have the freezer box .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #150

Several folks had good results with the removal of the freezer compartment vs hole drilling.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Several folks had good results with the removal of the freezer compartment vs hole drilling.
As much as I don't want to I guess Inwill try that .
Old 12-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #152

It is not too hard to do, I remove mine upon arrival at home and after emptying, it allows quicker drying inside and not having to prop open the freezer door.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #153

I know Charley but my previous Dometics I did and do use my freezers so I am not happy to lose it . But I will try it frig is not working very well even in cooler weather .
Old 12-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #154

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
6.7 refrig. mods to help

With the small 4.? in the 19 we were ok but the 6.7 did not like the 90+ temps. I put a half dozen 3/8's holes through the bottom of the freezer, put two pieces of 1 1/2 or 2 inch styro on the wall behind the fridge which reduced the space and the overlap of the two caused a baffle and ramp to deflect air that was boosted by two computer type fans so that the cooling unit had cooler air. I moved the temp sensor from the cooling unit to a spot on the wall behind the bubble type of insulation I installed on the interior door and most of the walls. I added the fridge fan also but I slowed it down by rewiring the fans in series. There are two switches below the fridge door to control the fans inside and in the back. Last summer we did OK but when leaving home and expecting 90 to 100 temps we would also use two 40oz. blue ice containers and switch them between the freezer and fridge until we would get to 80 temps or so. Also we quit putting warm drinks, except wine in the fridge. They would go to a little cooler first.
I did all of the mods one at a time but I don't know which did the most good, I think they all helped some. We'll just use the fridge this next summer.
Jack of Tucson
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:30 AM   #155

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Jack of Tucson
Have you tried it with the freezer compartment removed? I considered carrying a freezer box and using the refrigerator without the freezer box.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:42 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
With the small 4.? in the 19 we were ok but the 6.7 did not like the 90+ temps. I put a half dozen 3/8's holes through the bottom of the freezer, put two pieces of 1 1/2 or 2 inch styro on the wall behind the fridge which reduced the space and the overlap of the two caused a baffle and ramp to deflect air that was boosted by two computer type fans so that the cooling unit had cooler air. I moved the temp sensor from the cooling unit to a spot on the wall behind the bubble type of insulation I installed on the interior door and most of the walls. I added the fridge fan also but I slowed it down by rewiring the fans in series. There are two switches below the fridge door to control the fans inside and in the back. Last summer we did OK but when leaving home and expecting 90 to 100 temps we would also use two 40oz. blue ice containers and switch them between the freezer and fridge until we would get to 80 temps or so. Also we quit putting warm drinks, except wine in the fridge. They would go to a little cooler first.
I did all of the mods one at a time but I don't know which did the most good, I think they all helped some. We'll just use the fridge this next summer.
Jack of Tucson
We only put frozen or very cold items in frig . We also started frig 2 days before leaving . Temp at 4 . Opened frig as fast as possible and closed quick . Temp will rise to 43 or 44 from 38 . Outside temps this last trip were daytime high 60 -low 70's . The improvements were getting rid of crisper at bottom and adding tray and a fan . The problem is it works fine just don't open door ever . Do you have pics of your mods ? Very interested in seeing what you did . We also now have a Extreme cooler too. Our frig is the 4.3 in our 19 .
Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Have you tried it with the freezer compartment removed? I considered carrying a freezer box and using the refrigerator without the freezer box.
We will give that a try next trip .
Old 12-15-2014, 11:52 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
We will give that a try next trip .
Hi: Patandlinda... With our RML8555 we tried the complete removal of the freezer compartment. When I put it back in I discovered you can leave it unclipped and still close the fridge door. Doing that leaves about 1/2" gap across the back so no need to drill holes and you can still have your ice cream too!!! Alf
Old 12-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #159

Good catch Alf, between that and the hole on the door bottom you have become quite the sleuth......on the refer issues.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #160

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Thanks Alf. Must remember that one. I'll add it to my list.

------------

How many of the common plastic milk jugs (1 gal/4 litres) can be placed in the 6.7? I'd pre-freeze them.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote