6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #161

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... With our RML8555 we tried the complete removal of the freezer compartment. When I put it back in I discovered you can leave it unclipped and still close the fridge door. Doing that leaves about 1/2" gap across the back so no need to drill holes and you can still have your ice cream too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Going to try that and I was thinking to remove freezer door too . We start out with frozen items and it does take awhile to defrost them before we can cook . I really didn't want to make holes . I want to try less first and am not willing to destroy frig . Can't go back . Our Extreme cooler we purchased has to go in truck it takes up too much room in trailer . Just a pain to go outside to get your food , but we do have that now . Walls are very thick cheaper and better then a Yeti . Found on Amazon .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:19 PM   #162

Went out unleashed clips . Problem though freezer box moves around and won't stay . I removed freezer door see what happens . Now the frig should get really confused or do you think it will think it is too cold ?
Old 12-15-2014, 01:35 PM   #163

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We removed the freezer for our last trip.

There is no sensor in the freezer, only in the fridge. I used the same settings as usual - 4 during the night and when the day is below 70, 5 when it is above 70.

As far as the fridge temperatures and control board are concerned you have increased the available fridge cooling capacity (by taking away the need to make the freezer much colder.) It should be able to maintain acceptable interior temperatures in warmer weather. How much warmer - TBD.

And for the record - I should be able to have a fridge WITH a freezer. This is a work-around - not an acceptable final solution.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

There is no sensor in the freezer, only in the fridge. I used the same settings as usual - 4 during the night and when the day is below 70, 5 when it is above 70.

As far as the fridge temperatures and control board are concerned you have increased the available fridge cooling capacity (by taking away the need to make the freezer much colder.) It should be able to maintain acceptable interior temperatures in warmer weather. How much warmer - TBD.

And for the record - I should be able to have a fridge WITH a freezer. This is a work-around - not an acceptable final solution.
Thankyou to everyone for your suggestions . Going to try this out -with door removed and see what happens . When summer comes around again hope this works too.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:15 PM   #165

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
6.7 fridge

We need a freezer as we leave home with cooked, frozen meat to last a week or two. Also when leaving the 100 weather we need the freezer to switch out the blue ice with the refrig. until we can reach the coast or some where north. We also switch from setting 4 to 5 based on temp outside. I'm afraid pictures wouldn't show much, but we do plan on going to BC for the rally as well as the good sam in AZ this next spring and we usually spend some time in CA through out the summer to ESCAPE the heat here.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #166
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Patandlinda... With our RML8555 we tried the complete removal of the freezer compartment. When I put it back in I discovered you can leave it unclipped and still close the fridge door. Doing that leaves about 1/2" gap across the back so no need to drill holes and you can still have your ice cream too!!! Alf
Excellent find; could probably secure it with velcro tape against the inside walls and the bottom of the freezer compartment to keep it from wandering.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #167

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

I strongly agree!
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #168

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Excellent find; could probably secure it with velcro tape against the inside walls and the bottom of the freezer compartment to keep it from wandering.
Hi: tractors1... Red Green would rather you used Duct tape!!! Alf
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #169

Trailer: 2014 19'
PULLING the PLUG

I 'pulled the plug' and boxed up the cooling unit. I've been told some 'magic' will be done

To pull the plug there is only a few screws after the fins are off inside. Disconnect the obvious wires and pull the thermistor.

It's basic Erector set until you need a knife and gently separate the foil cardboard from the metal box.

Then gently lift the plug which can be snug. Foam is blown in while the cooling unit is installed for a tight fit. Hopefully you have enough release agent ... a few cannot be pulled (it is said).

Looking forward to hearing how our cooling unit does in 'surgery' .... I was told again today they feel very confident it's performance can be improved significantly.
Attached Thumbnails
Plug pulling done small.jpg  
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #170

Trailer: Escape
Klem thanks for the removal details. Please keep us posted.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #171

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
do other models work better in ETI trailers?

Sorry. I don't know all the history here. Is the cooling problem limited to the bigger units in the bigger trailers/ 5th wheel or are all ETI trailers experiencing inadequate cooling?
If only the larger units, has anyone considered putting in a smaller unit in the bigger trailers? If so, did it work?

We have our on order, not built. I would rather have a smaller unit that actualy preserves food than a bigger one that doesn't actually work.

Thanks for all on this thread for your work and information.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 03:12 PM   #172

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
MG, an extremely simplified version is :::::::::

the current options from Dometic are all "SN" rated, which many have found inadequate for cooling at either "hot" or "cold" ambient temperatures.

to my knowledge, ETI hasn't said "whats next". Hence the tinkering.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #173
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
Sorry. I don't know all the history here. Is the cooling problem limited to the bigger units in the bigger trailers/ 5th wheel or are all ETI trailers experiencing inadequate cooling?
If only the larger units, has anyone considered putting in a smaller unit in the bigger trailers? If so, did it work?

We have our on order, not built. I would rather have a smaller unit that actualy preserves food than a bigger one that doesn't actually work.

Thanks for all on this thread for your work and information.
This may help:

The owners of the 4.3 and 6.7 cf Dometic 8 series RM8551 and RM8555 have experienced poor cooling performance. The issue appears to be slightly worse with the 6.7, but that is mostly anecdotal.

The door of Escape trailers is 22" wide. Whatever fridge ETI uses must fit through the door, so it must be less than 22" wide. The only absorption fridge Dometic produces of adequate size, that will fit through the door, is the 8 series RM8551 and RM8555.

These fridges were intended mainly for the European market, although they are sold in North America as well.

Fridges sold in the EU must have a climate class rating. The ratings are SN, N, ST and T, for subnormal, normal, subtropical and tropical respectively. An SN rated fridge is rated to perform adequately with ambient temperatures in the subnormal range. A tropical rated fridge on the other hand, is rated to perform well with ambient temperatures in the tropical range.

While the EU climate rating is mainly intended for energy consumption standards, the practical effect is that a T-rated fridge can be expected to outperform the other ratings when the ambient air temperatures are hotter.

Dometic does NOT offer an 8 series fridge in North America with a climate class rating above Subnormal. Climate class ratings are not required in North America.

Reace has been working with Dometic for some time to come up with a solution that addresses the problems of current owners as well as future owners. In your case, if you order the larger fridge, you will have a new fridge model with a separate freezer door, the RMD8555. This fridge has been tested in hotter climates and performs better than the RM8555 single door in hotter climates. How much better is a matter that needs more data to answer. If you order the smaller fridge, you will have an RM8551 but the door will be retrofitted with a different door that helps the fridge cool better. Again, how much better is a matter that needs more data to answer.

Bottom line, your fridge will be "enhanced", either with a redesigned door for the smaller one, or an entirely different fridge for the larger one. We went with the 6.7cf specifically for that reason.

For current owners of the 8551 and 8555, there are different solutions, and as Bruce said, a lot of tinkering and experimentation. There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. Time will tell whether or not this solves the problem.
Old 12-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #174

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Robert,
Excellent summary.

baglo
Old 12-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
This may help:

The owners of the 4.3 and 6.7 cf Dometic 8 series RM8551 and RM8555 have experienced poor cooling performance. The issue appears to be slightly worse with the 6.7, but that is mostly anecdotal.

The door of Escape trailers is 22" wide. Whatever fridge ETI uses must fit through the door, so it must be less than 22" wide. The only absorption fridge Dometic produces of adequate size, that will fit through the door, is the 8 series RM8551 and RM8555.

These fridges were intended mainly for the European market, although they are sold in North America as well.

Fridges sold in the EU must have a climate class rating. The ratings are SN, N, ST and T, for subnormal, normal, subtropical and tropical respectively. An SN rated fridge is rated to perform adequately with ambient temperatures in the subnormal range. A tropical rated fridge on the other hand, is rated to perform well with ambient temperatures in the tropical range.

While the EU climate rating is mainly intended for energy consumption standards, the practical effect is that a T-rated fridge can be expected to outperform the other ratings when the ambient air temperatures are hotter.

Dometic does NOT offer an 8 series fridge in North America with a climate class rating above Subnormal. Climate class ratings are not required in North America.

Reace has been working with Dometic for some time to come up with a solution that addresses the problems of current owners as well as future owners. In your case, if you order the larger fridge, you will have a new fridge model with a separate freezer door, the RMD8555. This fridge has been tested in hotter climates and performs better than the RM8555 single door in hotter climates. How much better is a matter that needs more data to answer. If you order the smaller fridge, you will have an RM8551 but the door will be retrofitted with a different door that helps the fridge cool better. Again, how much better is a matter that needs more data to answer.

Bottom line, your fridge will be "enhanced", either with a redesigned door for the smaller one, or an entirely different fridge for the larger one. We went with the 6.7cf specifically for that reason.

For current owners of the 8551 and 8555, there are different solutions, and as Bruce said, a lot of tinkering and experimentation. There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. Time will tell whether or not this solves the problem.
Ok where is my New Door ?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #176

Trailer: Escape
"There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. "
If it is Dometic the cooling unit should be R&R'd by an authorized Dometic service center. Klem stated a private company.
Dometic or an independent company ??
Only Klem knows for sure !!
Old 12-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #177

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, if a private company, what happens with Dometic warranty?
Old 12-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #178
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ok where is my New Door ?
Don't know Pat. When I spoke to Reace while at ETI, he mentioned that if I went with the smaller fridge, it would be retrofitted with a different door. He didn't specifically address current owners, although obviously if it helps the RM8551, it will help for both existing as well as future owners -- same fridge.

Last I heard from Reace was that Dometic was "retooling" (or words to that effect) so the new doors could be produced. I have no knowledge as to the status of that. Quite honestly I stopped tracking it, since we went with the larger 2 door fridge.
Old 12-16-2014, 05:24 PM   #179
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
"There is some movement lately where Dometic is asking the owners to pull the cooling unit so it can be rebuilt or replaced with a stronger one. "
If it is Dometic the cooling unit should be R&R'd by an authorized Dometic service center. Klem stated a private company.
Dometic or an independent company ??
Only Klem knows for sure !!
Good point Jubal -- it may very well be a private company. I was under the assumption that Dometic was involved, since more than one owner has now pulled the cooling unit for "upgrade".
Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #180

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
And, if a private company, what happens with Dometic warranty?
Personally I have given up on dometic. I have emails, phone calls, and searched their sites. They are trapped in their own world and it's not working for me. The Last Dometic rep told me their final answer was take it to a dealer and that it would not be repaired or replaced under warranty if it met S/N class standards....

The private company has a warranty And also want me to be a happy customer .... Can't say that about Dometic.

I do not want to duplicate efforts following a path others are taking until a solution is found. I stumbled on these folks and feel good because they can do things Dometic can't/won't due to the larger picture for their corporation.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote