6.7 Frig Tinkering ideas? - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #121

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
Does someone know if using a 6.7 cu. ft. refrigerator would use over 50% more propane than a 4.3 cu. ft. Under the same conditions? Or does it not work that way?
In the manual specs for RM8551 (4.3 cu ft) the propane usage is rated at 270g or 9.5 oz per day, and for the RML8551/5 (6.7 cu ft) 380g or 13.4 oz per day. This is based on 77*F or 25*C ambient temp. The increase is less than 50%.

This is from my hardcopy manual, dated 01/2012. The numbers match the specs from this manual I found online:

http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/M...257408005D233C
KirkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #122

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
More interior volume means more surface area, which means more heat coming in, which means more work for the cooling unit, which means more propane burned... so it basically does work this way. It isn't quite proportional to volume, though.

In the the best versions of Dometic spec sheets, the propane consumption is given (in grams per hour or grams per day), so this could be looked up... if you can find the right two models to compare.
That's what I wanted to know, if it is proportional to volume or would some other factor figure in heavily enough that that would not be the case. So the answer is yes, mostly proportional, from what you have said. Thanks.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #123

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkB View Post
In the manual specs for RM8551 (4.3 cu ft) the propane usage is rated at 270g or 9.5 oz per day, and for the RML8551/5 (6.7 cu ft) 380g or 13.4 oz per day. This is based on 77*F or 25*C ambient temp. The increase is less than 50%.

This is from my hardcopy manual, dated 01/2012. The numbers match the specs from this manual I found online:

http://www.dometicmanuals.com/PROD/M...257408005D233C
KirKB, that is interesting. The 4.3 has 64% of the volume of the 6.7. The propane used by the 4.3 is 71% of that used by the 6.7. A little worse than I thought it would be for the 4.3. Thank you for those numbers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #124

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
The new fridge performance was obviously superior enough for Reace to opt for the 2 door fridge. Any sort of anecdotes about how much better the 2 door fridge performed in hot weather?
Is the new fridge installed the same way as the ones recently with a baffle? Like the ones without a baffle? Or another iteration?

Logically the baffle will force whatever airflow is present into the coils etc. Without the baffle the airflow can just slide up through the unobstructed area and the air in the coils will be stagnant. The refrigerator does work fine at lower temperatures so everything that can be done to cool the air and force it through the coils is critical to performance.

In my case I'm also trying to increase the airflow volume and speed, and be able to 'force' it through the coils by tipping the fan which is installed below the coils.

For comparison we need actual measurements of the temperature behind the refrigerator vs the temperature in the refrigerator??
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #125

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
When looking at efficiency, keep in mind that the rate of heat absorption is going to be proportional to the surface area, not the volume. The smaller fridge has a higher surface area to volume ratio so if the insulation is identical it will have a lower efficiency.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #126

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
IMO Dometic went too far in the effort to save money and build a less expensive product. I believe the cooling system (when running at max cool) is not adequate for temperatures in the 90s and up, even when properly installed. (It can be done, witness some older Dometics, it just takes a "better" cooling system and more energy input via propane or electricity.)

You can tweak the baffling to get a bit more performance out of it, cooler coils will work better.

You can tweak the fridge insulation (door, door seals) and installation (extra insulation around the top/side/back) to reduce the load a bit and get more "coolth".

And probably most importantly you can remove the freezer and use all the cooling to do much better in the fridge.

You can put on 2 doors
+ probably better insulated doors
+ don't need to open the fridge to get in the freezer
- can't convert to all fridge
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #127

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
IMO Dometic went too far in the effort to save money and build a less expensive product. I believe the cooling system (when running at max cool) is not adequate for temperatures in the 90s and up, even when properly installed. (It can be done, witness some older Dometics, it just takes a "better" cooling system and more energy input via propane or electricity.)

You can tweak the baffling to get a bit more performance out of it, cooler coils will work better.

You can tweak the fridge insulation (door, door seals) and installation (extra insulation around the top/side/back) to reduce the load a bit and get more "coolth".

And probably most importantly you can remove the freezer and use all the cooling to do much better in the fridge.

You can put on 2 doors
+ probably better insulated doors
+ don't need to open the fridge to get in the freezer
- can't convert to all fridge
All excellent observations....
Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post

Yelp, exactly my feelings. With the single door at least I have been able to make a good fridge by removing the freezer in warm weather and using all the cooling for the fridge. I hope the 2 door works better because loosing this option would leave you with no options.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #129

Posted elsewhere I want it to be available here too, good tinkerer advice!

Check everything before making a plan of what you are going to do. Every install can be different for various reasons and you need to look it all over and come to your own conclusions.

Understand what you are doing or wait until you, or the person doing the work, does.

----------
Each refrigerator manufacturer has published specific clearance specs for each of their models (Usually in the Owner's Manual). Make sure that these specs have been adhered to by your RV's manufacturer.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Refrig Install Good Explanation by refrig guy.pdf (39.5 KB, 55 views)
Old 12-12-2014, 10:14 PM   #130

What may explain the wimpy 6.7 is simply it is a helium, ammonia and water frig instead of the hydrogen, ammonia and water like we have used for years. (It may not be but people much smarter then me have come to this conclusion)

The hydrogen has been blamed for fires and manufacturers have turned to helium for some models a few years ago. Helium was a second choice because it simply does not perform as well as hydrogen.

Manufacturers realize it and came up with innovative ideas like removal freezer cabinets to provide more cooling for the refrig area in warmer climates.

The helium absorption refrigs also have a narrower temperature band. So cooling the condenser is most critical.

With this belief I am installing more sophisticated fan control and burner protection. Too high, or low, temperature in the burner area can cause permanent degradation to the cooling performance in all absorption frigs.

Is the RMD8555 a hydrogen .... or a new mix? Some believe the manufacturers know the helium frigs are falling short of user requirements ....

Looking forward to finding some heat in February to test my assumptions
Old 12-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #131

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Frig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
What may explain the wimpy 6.7 is simply it is a helium, ammonia and water frig instead of the hydrogen, ammonia and water like we have used for years. (It may not be but people much smarter then me have come to this conclusion)

The hydrogen has been blamed for fires and manufacturers have turned to helium for some models a few years ago. Helium was a second choice because it simply does not perform as well as hydrogen.

Manufacturers realize it and came up with innovative ideas like removal freezer cabinets to provide more cooling for the refrig area in warmer climates.

The helium absorption refrigs also have a narrower temperature band. So cooling the condenser is most critical.

With this belief I am installing more sophisticated fan control and burner protection. Too high, or low, temperature in the burner area can cause permanent degradation to the cooling performance in all absorption frigs.

Is the RMD8555 a hydrogen .... or a new mix? Some believe the manufacturers know the helium frigs are falling short of user requirements ....

Looking forward to finding some heat in February to test my assumptions
Great ! Is Dometic waiting for our warranties to run out ?
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #132

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21, 2014 Four Wheel Campers Grandby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post
Hi Joe,
Great idea, I can hang the yarn on plastic suction cups just like I did on our sail boats, that will bring back fond memories!

Amazing you can get the data logger that inexpensively, I hadn't thought of the RC aircraft suppliers. Maybe I can find turbo charger(s) to install in my new air box and duct

Thanks for sending off the picture, I've got til late January when the weather is good enough for our I-5 boogey to south Cali and then head east : )

Thanks! Mel
I did hear back from my aerospace resource. It turns out that it is not easy to model this since there has not been much study done of this particular problem. It looks like data collection of actual measurements is going to be the best approach.
NJ Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #133

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
They're doing a ton of work on our fridge right now, which I'll share when it's completed. Essentially, Dometic authorized the local RV shop where I first took the Escape for warranty service, to install a new cooling loop. I still believe that it's worth taking the Escapes in for warranty service (or complaints) while they're still covered. I don't really know if this is going to fix anything, but they are at least finally doing something.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #134

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
They're doing a ton of work on our fridge right now, which I'll share when it's completed. Essentially, Dometic authorized the local RV shop where I first took the Escape for warranty service, to install a new cooling loop. I still believe that it's worth taking the Escapes in for warranty service (or complaints) while they're still covered. I don't really know if this is going to fix anything, but they are at least finally doing something.
Great news -- and I, for one, am very anxious to hear the result.

Leon
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 11:01 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Before there was internet forums like this it was easier for manufacturers to put you off until you gave up ....

Reading this from 2007 will give you a glimpse at what Dometic is up against .. they are struggling to produce a fire safe refrigerator that still keeps your food as cold as required.

http://rx4rv.com/archives/21

I have spent a couple hours in the past two days talking to folks that really understand the problem(s) and have a few solutions. I will be mailing my cooling unit out next week to be tested and hopefully 'repaired'.

It looks promising to me.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Joe View Post
I did hear back from my aerospace resource. It turns out that it is not easy to model this since there has not been much study done of this particular problem. It looks like data collection of actual measurements is going to be the best approach.
Thanks for checking Joe.

I'm feeling comfortable with my airflow at this time and am trying to do everything I can to make sure the cooling unit is as good as it can be.

Turning over rocks and finding interesting info ....
Old 12-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Congratulations Parker! Great advice for others to pound Dometic, the problem can no longer be ignored by them!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:36 AM   #138

Trailer: Escape
" I will be mailing my cooling unit out next week to be tested and hopefully 'repaired'."
Please provide details.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #139

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Has anyone drilled holes in freezer compartment ? And had any improvement ?
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 AM   #140

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
Mine is off to the shop on Wednesday, it will be interesting to see what Dometic tells to do.

Not only does it not cool when air temp is above 75*, the last night off Matagorda Madness I woke to find the alarm had gone off. Went to bed at 10:30, fridge temp was 38*, woke up at 2:30 a temp was 52*...no power on the 120 side. I figured it was too late to save the food, and I wasn't going out to turn on the gas, so I waited til morning. Turned on the gas and in 45 min the freezer temp started to fall but not the fridge. The shop guy just giggled when I said a fridge problem!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote