6V battery boxes - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2016, 05:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
6V battery boxes

Hi there,
We are 3rd owners of a 2013 17B, and are loving our purchase. The 1st owner ordered it with 2- 6V batteries from the factory, but removed them before he sold. When we purchased it, there was a single 12V on it. We want to increase our battery life by returning to the dual 6 V batteries. In our small town we have not been able to find boxes the right size to fit these. Can anyone else with the original setup from ETI (2 6v batteries, one on left and one on right) tell us what the make of the battery box is? We probably will have to order them from the internet and and it would help to know a name.
Thanks for any help!
E-pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Very simple to resolve, get the measurement of your proposed 6 volt battery and then go to auto store and find a box that will fit and get 2 of them. You will also need extra cables to wire the two batteries in series. See here for info The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
See here for some boxes https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=battery+box
boxes are not known as 6 volt or 12 volt, just by size.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Noco HM306BK available from Amazon. That's what I got and each fits the 6 volt golf cart battery used in our Escapes. Add a jumper cable and you are all set.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
battery box

Does Escape give you the Noco HM 426 box if you get the duel battery option ?what kind of box does Escape give you if not ? The duel batteries seem like a lot of $275 cd instead of the series 27 battery as standard ? If you get the Noco box plus the batteries then it might be worth the $
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I got BlackJack I ordered the group 29 battery upgrade and it came with the ventilated box under the curb side dinette. When I switched to dual sixers a year later, they both fit inside the same box without any changes. Something to think about if you ever decide to switch later on.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Ditto that Jim, swapped out the Group 29 after a year and was a world of difference. Spoke with an Interstate battery tech and he told me the Group 29 was probably around 95 AH. They only state officially what the dual 6V would be and that is 232 AH. With solar you need the extra capacity to store all that generation from the panels and without it you aren't getting the full benefit of the solar option.

Agree $275 is steep- especially as there is no offset for the stock battery.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #7

Trailer: 17
Expensive and heavy, dual 6 volts at 128 lbs
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:48 AM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Does Escape give you the Noco HM 426 box if you get the duel battery option ?

Jenny, as you have a 21 on order, I think the dual batteries would be under the dinette, in a single white plastic box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has a homemade look to it. The Noco looks more like the ones used when the batteries are mounted outside, either on the tongue or the back bumper.

On edit, hadn't occured to me that the batteries on a 21 may go in the front box if you have one, so I could be all wet here.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jenny, as you have a 21 on order, I think the dual batteries would be under the dinette, in a single white plastic box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It has a homemade look to it. The Noco looks more like the ones used when the batteries are mounted outside, either on the tongue or the back bumper.

On edit, hadn't occured to me that the batteries on a 21 may go in the front box if you have one, so I could be all wet here.
You are right, they are located passenger side rear dinette. Here's photos of my 2015 21' with duel 6 volts
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1591.jpg   IMG_1585.jpg  
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
My early 21 has the duals box crosswise in the dinette, making checking water levels slightly more difficult.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post

No, I think you nailed it the first time, Bob. Up front would change the weight distribution too much, and I don't think Escape will mount them there. It's somewhere under the dinette seat, details depending on dinette configuration and battery option.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
My early 21 has the duals box crosswise in the dinette, making checking water levels slightly more difficult.
In a recent discussion, 21' owners provided excellent photos of two installations, in the same location but one end-to-end (as Craig showed) and other side-by-side. In commercially available boxes both of these configurations are made, to suit the available space.

Of course this isn't relevant to the 17', with its external batteries, except that it would be possible to use a single end-to-end box by relocating the spare to one side.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Agree $275 is steep- especially as there is no offset for the stock battery.
I think $275 is after allowing for the value of the base single Interstate SRM-27 battery, box, and cables. Those Interstate GC2-XHD batteries cost about US$140 each (retail) - they will be more expensive here (a house-brand equivalent at Canadian Tire is CA$220), and so the difference in the cost of components between the base and dual 6V installations will easily be CA$275.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...boxes are not known as 6 volt or 12 volt, just by size.
True, "6 volt" does not properly describe the size of the battery or the box needed for it. The 6 volt batteries used by Escape are the most common size of 6V used in RVs, which is generally known as GC2 (originally defined for use in golf cars); it is so common that even some retailers of battery boxes just say "6 volt" for the description of boxes which fit this size. Any published table of battery sizes (which are defined by BCI, and so look for "BCI group dimensions") provides essentially the same dimensions.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Spoke with an Interstate battery tech and he told me the Group 29 was probably around 95 AH. They only state officially what the dual 6V would be and that is 232 AH.
This is certainly a frustrating aspect of Interstate: who sells deep-cycle batteries and doesn't list capacity in standard terms? They describe the SRM-27 (Group 27 size) and SRM-29 (Group 29 size) RV/marine products as if they are only starting batteries, providing specifications such as cranking amps and reserve minutes.

I've tried extrapolating C20 capacity (capacity at 20-hour rate) from reserve capacity, and would expect better than 95 amp-hours, but maybe not...
Old 07-22-2016, 03:56 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I buy Trojan.
Great web site too - everything you need to know about their batteries.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 17B
There is some variation, apparently, in where the batteries are located on the different models. Ours is on both sides of the rear bumper and the spaces measure 11.5 x 7.5 inches. The Noco HM306BK that Kstock11 used is listed by Amazon as 16.8 X 12.9 X 9.7, so that would be too big to fit into our spaces. (But appreciate the response, KStock 11!)
The discussion on batteries is causing me to wonder..........the local golf cart place sells Trojan and US Battery, which is cheaper than Trojan and has around the same AH, around 232 AH. On this forum folks mention Trojan and Interstate often, but I never hear anything about US Battery. Is there a reason? Anybody have experience with US Battery?
E-pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I don't know if I was "hoodwinked" by the distributor who told me that Trojan and Interstate moved their production out of the US. US Battery is made in Charlotte so I decided to roll the dice and give them a try. We shall see how they work out.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstock11 View Post
I don't know if I was "hoodwinked" by the distributor who told me that Trojan and Interstate moved their production out of the US. US Battery is made in Charlotte so I decided to roll the dice and give them a try. We shall see how they work out.
For Interstate batteries, it depends on where you get them. From Louisiana to Southern California, Interstate batteries are made by a Johnson Controls manufacturing plant in Monterrey, Mexico. In the other states, the batteries are made by Johnson Controls in the United States. Trojan batteries are made entirely in the USA according to the sources I've been able to find. Their main facility is in Santa Fe Springs CA, but there are other locations such as Georgia.

Honestly, I don't think the location of the plant is as important as the design and technology.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I buy Trojan.
Great web site too - everything you need to know about their batteries.
Although I have not yet bought a Trojan battery, I agree that they have a first-rate operation and provide lots of clear information. The best way to understand more about any brand of battery seems to be checking for what Trojan has to say about the subject for the same type of battery.