A 5.0/5.0TA specific bike question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
A 5.0/5.0TA specific bike question

There was a recent thread on taking bikes along, but I would ask if anyone carrying bikes on the 5er has noticed and change in the handling characteristics with a couple of bikes on the back. When I added up the weight of my two bikes and the rack it comes to @120 pounds. I realize that the pin weight on the 5th wheels is substantial, but do any of you transporting bikes make any compensation by moving stuff into the sleeping loft in the 5.0?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I only have carried one bike and a pretty heavy four-bike Thule bike rack on the back. Haven't noticed a lick of problems.

Remember though, you're limited to 150 lbs on that rear hitch.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
We carried two bicycles on the back of our 5.0 for the first year we owned it. I noticed absolutely no change with the handling. In fact I barely notice the trailer at all. We have since moved the bikes to the bed of the truck. Not because of the weight, but because we can keep an eye on them. I recently purchased two new tires and rims which I put on the floor of the trailer to bring them home and noticed no difference in handling. I would have trouble imagining anything (reasonable) that would upset the handling characteristics of the 5.0.
GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
We carried two bicycles on the back of our 5.0 for the first year we owned it. I noticed absolutely no change with the handling. In fact I barely notice the trailer at all. We have since moved the bikes to the bed of the truck. Not because of the weight, but because we can keep an eye on them. I recently purchased two new tires and rims which I put on the floor of the trailer to bring them home and noticed no difference in handling. I would have trouble imagining anything (reasonable) that would upset the handling characteristics of the 5.0.
GerriJ, I'm curious how you put the bikes in the bed of the truck? We have a 5.0 TA ordered for completion the end of June. My preference would be to put the bikes in the truck bed as well. What size truck bed do you have. Any photos of this setup? We will get a tow vehicle soon and this may help us with our decision.
Mahalo Steve
Hawaiian Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 5TA/ *012 17B (previous)
I just drove from Nova Scotia to Florida with our 5TA with two bikes and a rack- much like others have said probably 120lbs. I drove it from Chilliwack to Nova Scotia without them.
I have not noticed any difference with/without them.
I checked weights at a scale on both trips. Fine both times, although on this trip I do have more "stuff" in the trailer. As mentioned above, most of the time I hardly notice the trailer there.
I have been passed by lots of semi's and been in a fair bit of wind & rain.
I like towing it a lot better than our 17B.

I really haven't added a whole lot of weight to the Loft.
'Have No Regrets'
Chapitre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I am assuming, maybe not a good thing to do, that your desire to keep an eye on the bikes was to prevent theft. If so, why not use a cable lock securing the bikes to the rack? Or was there another reason you wanted to see them such as being aware if something was coming loose?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:13 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian Escapees View Post
GerriJ, I'm curious how you put the bikes in the bed of the truck? We have a 5.0 TA ordered for completion the end of June. My preference would be to put the bikes in the truck bed as well. What size truck bed do you have. Any photos of this setup? We will get a tow vehicle soon and this may help us with our decision.
Mahalo Steve
Aloha
FWIW, I could easily fit 2 bikes in the front of my F150 long bed (8') in front of the hitch going side to side if I take off the front tires. The bikes, minus front tires, are 59", the bed is 63", side to side. I've got 48" from the front of the hitch head to the front of the bed, the bikes side by side take up 36" when facing opposite directions. I have NOT done this, as yet anyway, but it's an option. I'm the one that started the other bike thread. I'd prefer NOT to carry the bikes in the bed so I can use the tonneau cover, I can't do both. If I were to go this route I'd use Fork Mounts mounted to a board of some sorts. I use these now when I have the truck cap on. Of course I can't use it with the 5.0TA.
Attached Thumbnails
bike hitch.jpg  
Old 12-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0 TA on order
Bob mahalo for your reply. Unfortunately I will be limited to a maximum 6'4" bed since I will be ordering a Ram 1500 crew cab. I've always hauled my bikes in the back of the truck and for me it's just my comfort zone. If it's not possible with the 5th wheel I will have to get used to the bike rack on the 5 0. I'm thinking Hawaii 50.
In your time zone you are getting closer to 2015. Hauoli Makahiki Hou!
Aloha Steve
Hawaiian Escapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 04:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I recently purchased two new tires and rims which I put on the floor of the trailer to bring them home and noticed no difference in handling.
Anywhere on the floor of the interior would be low and reasonably close the centre of the trailer, so that certainly wouldn't hurt trailer handling. That's very different from stuck on the outside of the end of the trailer.

Quote:
I would have trouble imagining anything (reasonable) that would upset the handling characteristics of the 5.0.
The fifth-wheel configuration is certainly stable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
I just drove from Nova Scotia to Florida with our 5TA with two bikes and a rack- much like others have said probably 120lbs. I drove it from Chilliwack to Nova Scotia without them.
I have not noticed any difference with/without them.
I checked weights at a scale on both trips. Fine both times, although on this trip I do have more "stuff" in the trailer. As mentioned above, most of the time I hardly notice the trailer there.
I have been passed by lots of semi's and been in a fair bit of wind & rain.
I like towing it a lot better than our 17B.

I really haven't added a whole lot of weight to the Loft.
Could you please post your weights, for others to know what the 5.0 TA weighs both factory and in use, thanks.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Aloha Steve

Hau'oli Makahiki Hou

I wasn't happy with the way the bikes sat on the rack when I put them on the back of our 5.0 last month to drive to KS. My neighbour suggested putting them in the truck bed (6.5 box on our F150) which I tried behind the fifth wheel. I had to remove one front wheel but they fit fine and only problem was on unhooking at our daughter's place the pin dropped out of the fifth wheel and down catching one of the bikes ( covered with tarp) and pulled them back a bit but I was watching so stopped right away!

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #12

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I put 2 bikes behind the cab. I don't remove the wheels, I place each bike opposite the other, and I turn the front wheel. I have an aluminium headache rack, to which I tie the bikes, in an up right position.
The bikes are full size, hybrids. (Rocky Mtn 'Whistlers')
The box length overall is 8', and it's a full size Chev.
I like to be able to see the bikes.
I did opt for the receiver sleeve on the rear of our 5.TA, so that I can place the bikes there, if the need arises.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote