A beautiful day for a frig vent fix - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
A beautiful day for a frig vent fix

Thought it was a beautiful day for a frig vent fix and thought I would post some pics in hope that some might find it helpful. I used a putty knife, small screw driver, plenty of rags, latex gloves and acetone as a cleaner /solvent. Please be aware, there are some exposed sheet metal edges that are very sharp, I put some duct tape over the sharp edges just in case (pics #1 and 5).
I found that sliding the putty knife between the foam and the backside of the plastic vent and gently prying up and towards the frig worked best, this also helped remove the majority of silicone at the same time (pics #2 and 3).
I then used a doubled up rag with a small screw driver inside to clean all remaining silicone while dipping the tip of the rag in acetone. (pics #4)
After a thorough cleaning and drying (pic #5) I applied ProFlex into the crack between the vent and the frig drain very slowly while making sure the proflex penetrated down into the crack (pic #6).
I then proceeded to smooth down the proflex using my finger and wiping the excess onto a wet rag. Please note, make sure vent tracks are clear of any residual proflex. This was defiantly the hardest and messiest part of the job as anyone who has worked with proflex might know (pic #7)
I used about 3/4 of the proflex making sure it got down into the crack and I 'am reasonable sure water will not be going down that crack .
I am NOT saying this is the best way or the only way or anything YMMV.
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

6.jpg   7.jpg  
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Thanks for posting Tin!

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Tin,
Nice work. Thank you for posting fridge vent fix pictures.
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:26 AM   #4

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What issue were you fixing?
Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Thank you very much! The pics will be very helpful for those of us who have not completed this yet. Great narrative, great pics!!

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Tin... Nice job... well done too!!! I see in pic's 5&7 the end of the flexible fridge defrost drain hose w/ nylon baffle screwed down near the drain hole. Most "Stickie" mfg's just let it stick out through the plastic grille. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 AM   #7

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
fix

I just received my package from ETI . This will be a project for next week . Since it hasn't rained in SW fl for a while no problem .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
I just received my package from ETI . This will be a project for next week . Since it hasn't rained in SW fl for a while no problem .
Hi: jennykatz... Great seeing you two again. Our rain is falling in solid form. LoL No rain... no problem!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What issue were you fixing?
Bob,
See link. Only the newer trailers. Shouldn't affect you.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/anyone-else-get-a-surprise-escape-package-9721.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #10

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
Thought it was a beautiful day for a frig vent fix and thought I would post some pics in hope that some might find it helpful. I used a putty knife, small screw driver, plenty of rags, latex gloves and acetone as a cleaner /solvent. Please be aware, there are some exposed sheet metal edges that are very sharp, I put some duct tape over the sharp edges just in case (pics #1 and 5).
I found that sliding the putty knife between the foam and the backside of the plastic vent and gently prying up and towards the frig worked best, this also helped remove the majority of silicone at the same time (pics #2 and 3).
I then used a doubled up rag with a small screw driver inside to clean all remaining silicone while dipping the tip of the rag in acetone. (pics #4)
After a thorough cleaning and drying (pic #5) I applied ProFlex into the crack between the vent and the frig drain very slowly while making sure the proflex penetrated down into the crack (pic #6).
I then proceeded to smooth down the proflex using my finger and wiping the excess onto a wet rag. Please note, make sure vent tracks are clear of any residual proflex. This was defiantly the hardest and messiest part of the job as anyone who has worked with proflex might know (pic #7)
I used about 3/4 of the proflex making sure it got down into the crack and I 'am reasonable sure water will not be going down that crack .
Tin.
nice job documenting the steps you took for the fix...
Is the switch that is mounted with black Tie Wraps to the two tubes (visible in several of the pics) a ETI factory installation or something that was added later?
Is there 12 volts potential on what appears to be the non-insulated red wire connections to the switch?
Thanks
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #11
Tin

Thanks every one , I am glad this maybe helpful.
freespirit, The switch is the "External Frid Fan'" option and Yes there is a potential for a mishap, thanks for pointing this out I will wrap some electrical tape around this later today. Thanks
Tin.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
nice job documenting the steps you took for the fix...
Is the switch that is mounted with black Tie Wraps to the two tubes (visible in several of the pics) a ETI factory installation or something that was added later?
Is there 12 volts potential on what appears to be the non-insulated red wire connections to the switch?
Thanks
Did Escape install your fridge fix ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Did Escape install your fridge fix ? Pat
Hi Pat, I did the proflex fix. Escape installed the "External Frid Fan'" as an option.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:29 PM   #14

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Bob,
See link. Only the newer trailers. Shouldn't affect you.

www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9/anyone-else-get-a-surprise-escape-package-9721.html

Thanks
Old 03-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
a beautiful day for a frig vent fix

Quote:
Hi Pat, I did the proflex fix. Escape installed the "External Frid Fan'" as an option.
Nice neat job on your fix . Sending a picture of same fan and my install . If you can get some wires into trailer , mine are run on top of refrigerator . Much nicer install for your switch and how it really is intended to be mounted . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0002 5.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Tin.
Hey Tin

approx how long (hours) did the fix take you?

just so i have an idea of how much time to set aside for it.

my kit just arrived - So Cal.

thanks

john
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM   #17
Tin

Hi Losangeles,
It took a little over an hour but now that I have done it once and have my procedure down Oh maybe a half hour. The only thing I would do different would be to mask off the frig drain pan about 3/4" before applying the proflex.
Tin.