A couple of ideas for the 2017 5.1 5th.... - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Another way to look at it, 2016 models are the current, less expensive by $4,000 and the 2017 cost $4,000 more and will have unknown options- you call it. I prefer the 5.1 because I can then request BlackJack V.I on the trailer.....
Old 02-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Have I missed something here? Is Escape calling the 2017 model a 5.1? I don't quite understand that, after all it is still a fifth wheel, not a five and one tenth wheel. Colour me confused.
No, as far as I know there has been no indication from Escape of a name change; it's just the 2017 version of the 5.0TA. "2017 5.0TA" seems clear and concise to me.

It is very common for RVs to include a numeric value in the model name, and that generally indicates the length (in feet in the U.S.; in metres in Europe); the rest of Escape line is known simply by length (in feet).

The original "5.0" name was apparently a play on the fifth-wheel configuration and the then-trendy term "Web 2.0", which is in turn a play on the typical pattern of software version numbering, suggesting the beginning of a second major version of the web. As a trailer name it fundamentally doesn't make sense, because the trailer isn't the fifth version of anything, but there were suggestions when the "TA" version was announced that the name become "5.1" to reflect a "minor version" change, but Escape chose "5.0TA".

Welcome to another round of confusion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:11 PM   #63

Quote:
I certainly did, along with one 4" hole and four 9'16" holes in the bed for the gooseneck hitch, and chain loops. Easy peasy.

The tonneau cover was all bolt on.
Excellent

I'm looking forward to pictures when you get your 5.0TA - you can show us how everything is set up.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:14 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Welcome to another round of confusion.
For some reason these rounds seem to happen more often these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Excellent

I'm looking forward to pictures when you get your 5.0TA - you can show us how everything is set up.
I will definitely be doing that. I have thought of doing some shots of the truck outfitting by itself, we'll see.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #65

I just tried out my hitch in the box of the truck, and will not be able to see the ball. With the hitch turned with the ball forward, I doubt you could see it without the tonneau cover anyway. With the hitch turned around, putting the ball a couple inches behind the axle, I still can't see it, though maybe you could without a cover, but I would not want to tow this way if I don't have to.

Crappy phone shot. This is the normal position, with the ball forward. Note the 7-pin connector on the left sidewall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen Hitch 1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	14858

This is with the ball to the rear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen Hitch 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	14859
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #66

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Here is our version 3 of our current set up.

Version 1. Consisted of the folding bed cover with Rubbermaid Action Packers cable locked to the truck bed. Couldn’t see the hitch without aids/spotter.

Version 2. Consisted of the over the rail Home Depot lockable tool box. Once again impossible to see the hitch, daughter got free toolbox for her truck.

Version 3. Our current setup, Home Depot under rail lockable toolbox that holds Yamaha generator, gas can for genny, battery charger, electric and manual tire pump, toolbox, and giant Cabela’s chairs with built on beverage holder, patio mat and ect, ect. There is a still lot of unused room, lockable and weather proof.

The boat bag holding the Aire Traveler fits on either side of the hitch with the rowing frame and oars/paddles underneath. Firewood is stacked up against the tailgate, covered with a tarp. Still plenty of room left over in the bed. The only modification to our current set up is that I plan on are installing a Thule Bed Rider in front of the toolbox when we shuttle the bikes and truck during bike and float trips. (I spend a lot of time dropping off the raft at one location driving the truck to the take out then pedaling or hitchhiking back to the start point).

Came across the 5th wheel tailgate brand new and in the box for 150.00 on craigslist and couldn’t pass it up. Gotta admit, I like it. We boondock in some very small, spots with steep, narrow approaches by creeks and rivers. I used to come very close to touching the trailer with the tailgate down when hitching up at 20-40 degrees or so, and I can see the trailer so much better it tight situations.

This is what works for us. Everyone else with have different needs/wants, just putting it out there. Scott

Scott, Lori and Fritz the Kenai River Schnauzer
I love the Chugach
Attached Thumbnails
Current set up.jpg  
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM   #67

If being able to see the connection of the hitch is what you want, why not just use a camera? One I was looking at was this one from etrailer.
https://www.etrailer.com/Backup-Came...ge/RA7710.html

What I am liking about it, is you can just set it up when you and where you need it, using your smartphone as a screen. Heck you could use it as a baby monitor, wife/husband monitor, or many other uses. Self contained wifi transmitter, and it is rechargeable so no 12V connection needed. Just download the app, not really any installation required. Why have a separate monitor if you don't need it. Use a big tablet if you like too.

Seeing it is magnetic, I would just glue a steel disc to my aluminum toolbox, and mount it there whenever I am connecting.

Just a thought. I imagine there is similar devices out there, this is really the first one I looked at with these features.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #68

Quote:
I just tried out my hitch in the box of the truck...
Thanks for the photos, Jim. Nice clean setup.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #69

Nice catch there Jim on the camera, something one could use to see the 5th set up and with a 300' range why not set up inside back window to watch traffic on your phone?
I also like that ventilated tailgate, wondering how hard to remove my factory tailgate, although it has camera and electric locks, not sure it can be disabled.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This is my hitching camera, from etrailer. I can attest that it is durable. I had it attached when I slammed the rear hatch and it dropped to the pavement. Still worked. Bit more expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bac...ift_Hitch.aspx
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.33.49 PM.png  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Nice catch there Jim on the camera, something one could use to see the 5th set up and with a 300' range why not set up inside back window to watch traffic on your phone?
Not a fan of traffic watching on my phone, but I would imagine that unless the view is too wide of an angle, a camera could be set up inside near the top of the rear window to see the hitch clearly.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #72

I hate having to buy these cameras when my truck has one, except it is on the tailgate, if I can somehow move it to the rear center light it may work.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #73

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
If being able to see the connection of the hitch is what you want, why not just use a camera? One I was looking at was this one from etrailer.

What I am liking about it, is you can just set it up when you and where you need it, using your smartphone as a screen. Heck you could use it as a baby monitor, wife/husband monitor, or many other uses. Self contained wifi transmitter, and it is rechargeable so no 12V connection needed. Just download the app, not really any installation required. Why have a separate monitor if you don't need it. Use a big tablet if you like too.

Seeing it is magnetic, I would just glue a steel disc to my aluminum toolbox, and mount it there whenever I am connecting.

Just a thought. I imagine there is similar devices out there, this is really the first one I looked at with these features.
Don't forget a disk over your cooler, so you can keep an eye on your beer when you're facing the campfire.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
This is my hitching camera, from etrailer. I can attest that it is durable. I had it attached when I slammed the rear hatch and it dropped to the pavement. Still worked. Bit more expensive.

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bac...ift_Hitch.aspx
I looked at that one too, and it looks good, but was thinking my phone would make a better screen
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #75

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
why not set up inside back window to watch traffic on your phone?
Because you are supposed to be watching the traffic in front of you, and in BC you will get a hefty ticket for using a hand-held device while driving.
Speaking of which, Victoria police recovered a text message from a cell phone, after one of their members was rear-ended.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 5.43.17 PM.png  
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Don't forget a disk over your cooler, so you can keep an eye on your beer when you're facing the campfire.
Especially at the Escape rallies, eh?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:

Yeah I did try the Iball camera, small field of view. I just find it so much easier being able to look over my shoulder and hook up.

I gave it to my son in law for hooking up his Hewescraft, making it easier to take me fishing for halibut. Win, win! Scott

Scott and Lori
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #78

Quote:

That setup looks convenient to set up. Since it is only for temporary use (not permanent outside mounting), another way to use it would be to stick it on the trailer's (steel) frame under the loft, looking forward and slightly down at the approaching truck and hitch, if a suitable frame location can be found. Just a thought...
Old 02-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Or just stick it on the pin box. Jim, if you figure out how to move the camera from the tailgate to up on the cab.. let me know!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Because you are supposed to be watching the traffic in front of you, and in BC you will get a hefty ticket for using a hand-held device while driving.
Speaking of which, Victoria police recovered a text message from a cell phone, after one of their members was rear-ended.
Would any of us really hold a phone in one hand while backing a truck into the trailer with the other hand? Dash mounts are readily available to hold the phone, and with it in the holder and running as a monitor, it wouldn't be either a hand-held device or a distraction from driving.

With people replacing their smartphones at a ridiculously short interval, there are lots a perfectly functional used phones lying around. Deleting all the other apps and running it without a SIM card makes one of these phones (or a tablet - same thing in a larger size) into a dedicated monitor with a good screen plus WiFi and Bluetooth connections for inputs.