A little advice.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A little advice....

Here is my tentative order sheet for an Escape 19', silver graphics on exterior, stock interior counter color and fabric with both front and rear "U" dinette so that one can sleep either in front or rear depending on campsite and leave the other set up as a dinette couch. I got the idea from one of the members here. Just wondering if there is something I'm missing.... not sure on blinds- dark or white, otherwise thanks for any input
2012 Escape 19’
a/c- dometic standard 11,000 btu with soft start
cabinet door at end of dinette by door
additional kitchen window-opening
included 12v next to 120v kitchen on door side
spray foam and 12v on fresh/grey
led package interior and exterior
extra tail lights on rear
thermal/extra insulation
solar
Group 29 battery- 128 amp hours
screen room
substitute Fantastic Fan(smoke) - with thermostat and reverse
stainless steel sink/faucet/stainless stove and stainless cover
front/rear u dinette with cushion and split table
tv ready- front dinette-next to light on street side cabinet
front box
4 chrome wheels

Attached Thumbnails
P1000390.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 17
Re: A little advice....

Not a bid deal but maybe 5 Aluminum rims if you wanted you spare to match.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Tammy once said that some graphics colors fade worse than others. You might ask if yours is a good one for longevity, just in case.

I noticed that the Escape website now shows the brown blinds (called "acorn") as being the standard. Maybe there is no decision to make?

--Liz

Old 05-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #4

We are also finalizing (adding to) our 19' order sheet and made many of the same choices.

Would be interesting in your thinking behind your substitutions - Group 29 batter vs. dual 6v, Fantastic Fan vs. Maxx Fan.

We opted to go with only the spray foam without the tank heaters since several people have reported the insulation was sufficient for the temps we expect to encounter.

David
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:37 AM   #5

I'll have to bow to Tammy's advice on the blind choice. As far as battery, the front box will be storage for chairs and other items and I did not want to take up too much room with 2x 6 volts. Plus the weight is another issue. With factory Solar charging I should get at least 50 a/h per day replenishment so why go the extra expense and weight since any more solar would be wasted going into the "6" set up. In other words the 2 six volts will give you 100% in about 1-2 hours in sun vs 3-4 hours with the group 29.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014

You have a good list. We have liked the additonal cabinet door for access to the front passenger side storage. For the 12 volt recepticles we choose two locations, on the front driver side storage, here I would recommend you consider placement along the bench, too far to the front and it is hard to reach when made into a bed, too far toward the bathroom and you are more likely to bump into the socket and plug when in use.

The second location was above the queen bed, near where the TV connections would be. This location could be lower in your case with the rear table.

Why two? With TV's, laptops and as we age - sleep machines; it seems like there could be many uses. The trailer is too long to rely on one socket.

For the LED lighting I choose to install a different unit than Escape offers. I am not sure they had LED lighting when I purchased. Anyway I liked the below bulb better, I believe I needed seven (the porch light has a standard socket) and the cost came to around $110 with shipping.
Attached Images

fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braun

For the LED lighting I choose to install a different unit than Escape offers. I am not sure they had LED lighting when I purchased. Anyway I liked the below bulb better, I believe I needed seven (the porch light has a standard socket) and the cost came to around $110 with shipping.
The LED lights that Escape uses now are excellent. I had the old ones as in the enclosed picture in my old trailer and the ones that they install now are far better. The light count might be different now as the trailers come with ceiling lighting as well as under cabinet.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour

Good for you, Jim, for taking the plunge. That is quite the list but we have to have all of this stuff, right?! Everyone including us has a long list of options and only after getting the trailer do we think maybe this or that is too heavy. You are already looking at the weight situation beforehand which is great. We do not have a tongue weight problem but I would do what you are on the battery. I have looked up ours and it appears that they weigh 66 lbs. Each. I also expect to add solar shortly and I wish we had your battery arrangement. Very smart.

We do not have 12V as they have one socket standard only in recent months so we are having a couple added at an RV place. Also, they will be installing our EMS (Electrical Management System) from Progressive Industries which protects everything electrical. I saw where there was a storm at the Alabama coast and everyone lost all of their electrical appliances in one swoop except the guy with an EMS.
As Paul suggests, having 12Vs put at both ends is a good idea. We are probably having ours at the front end by the electrical set-up, just because doing it after the fact is more trouble, I assume.

I am going to look for Paul's LED lights as we will replace ours as they go out or sooner.

You are not getting the Maxx fan? It can be open and will not let in the bad weather so I really like that.

float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:39 PM   #9

I have had Fantastic Fans in all my trailers and have learned how to slow the speed down with a resistor to a point where it is whisper quiet. They also reverse in and you can feel the gentle breeze. I love seeing the stars and moon at night thru the clear top and I have a spare set of double insulated vent covers made for Fantastic Fan that eliminates condensation forming on the interior. As far as 12v outlets, I'll two front and midship and can add one to rear easily by tapping into a light and mounting a 12v outlet in the cabinet. I plan on tapping into the 120v on the kitchen and putting an extra outlet on the kitchen counter front. I will be able to plug in my coffee maker easier. I plan on installing a plug in closet light in the closet and plug into the microwave outlet which has an unused plug available. I open the door, the light will come on. I'm still working on the underbed storage illumination.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: cpaharley 2008... For our style of camping we rely on the dual fuel W/H. Using the campground power saves your propane for the stove or furnace. That'd be my addition to your list.
Sounds like you'll have a great 19'er. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #11

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Here is what we did for under the bed lighting for our 19 Escape. Reace installed a 12 volt outlet and switch just inside the left side door that accesses the under bed storage area. My son used 12 volt rope lighting and fastened it to the bed support. It really lights up the area. Here is a picture of the lights - sorry it's not the best quality.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Lights.JPG  
Old 05-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The LED lights that Escape uses now are excellent. I had the old ones as in the enclosed picture in my old trailer and the ones that they install now are far better. The light count might be different now as the trailers come with ceiling lighting as well as under cabinet.

Barry
[/quote]

It's worth keeping in mind that everything electronic had been improving and becoming cheaper, month by month. I paid $800 for a 32-inch LCD TV that you can buy for $200 or less today. LED technology has been improving in leaps.

So, there are two choices. Buy what is currently available, or sit in the dark. Or, in my case, light a candle which provides both light and heat.

baglo
Old 05-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
Here is what we did for under the bed lighting for our 19 Escape. Reace installed a 12 volt outlet and switch just inside the left side door that accesses the under bed storage area. My son used 12 volt rope lighting and fastened it to the bed support. It really lights up the area. Here is a picture of the lights - sorry it's not the best quality.

Rick

That really looks nice, I'm sure I can find some 12v wires down there and tap into one.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:12 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo
Or, in my case, light a candle which provides both light and heat.

baglo
Aren't you ever the romantic. That Leslie is a lucky gal.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

I think this stuff would be really great for dark areas: http://beetlefreak.com/casitalights.html, I like the idea you can buy it by the foot and there's a magnetic door switch. Open the door, the light comes on

Reminds me of my refrigerator
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

A couple of suggestions, although they may be standard on the 19' (I've got a 2011 17&#39

The Marinco inlet for the power cord
Exterior Storage Door to the under seat storage area

If you are handy enough to add your own 12V (or 120v for that matter) it might be worth waiting until you have used the trailer for awhile before installing them, at least for those within easy runs to the converter. I did that with some additional 12V outlets since I found it easier to plug into ones mounted at the top of cabinets easier than those near the floor, and with the clothing hooks (used 3M stick on hooks until I decided where I wanted permanent ones).I have a page showing some of my modifications & additions at http://lakeshoreimages.com/trailer.html
Old 05-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I must be blind, Donna. I can't find a place to buy anything if I wanted to. I am not sure about the magnetic switches, as the lights would come on whether you needed them or not. One would just have to make certain that the doors were always closed, or just use a toggle switch.

I definitely plan to do this. When I saw Jon had done this, we really liked the idea. I just have to get to it is all.

Jon, where did you buy your stuff again?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Do you suppose one of those free LED flashlights from Harbor Freight would work if kept in the fridge? I was thinking about trying that.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

I can tell you that it does, at least until it gets wet! Only problem I have with the Harbor Flashlights is I end up with a bunch in one compartment & none in the one I need to see in. I added strip lights, with a switch. I like to sometimes leave the cabinet doors open to equalize temperatures, particularly in hot or cold weather. With magnetic switches they would be on while I'm trying to sleep. I do have a magnetic switch on the strip I added to the refrigerator...
Old 05-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #20

Trailer: No more Escape 21

How about a battery operated motion senor light, only comes on when you need it,

http://www.fiberglasstraveltrailersr...ts-FTT2013.htm