A "new" fridge problem? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2016, 04:36 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think as long as it is not in operation and off it can be unlevel, but it was mentioned that it had been used on 120v for 3 years and perhaps it was not level then?
Nope; always level. (Sometimes being a compulsive perfectionist pays off ).

Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:47 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
So unlevel is not an issue, back to removing debris when possible....

Old 09-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I never thought about the refrigerator needing to be level while stored, only while set up in camp for operating. If unlevel when stored ruins it, some people who purposely do that should take note. There are those who have parked their trailers sloping down to get water off of the middle of the roof where it sits.
It needs to be relatively level when operating because a slope can affect the angle of the pipes that create the absorption cycle - and therefore hinder the cycle. When it's not in use, storing it with a slope is no issue. Length of time in storage doesn't change that.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner
Glad to have that confirmed. There was a tech guy, who wrote for an RV magazine, who said he ruined his refrigerator by stopping for 20 minutes in a unlevel place to help someone. Always had made sure that it was level when at a campsite but one little stop and ruined. So he must have had it on.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:21 AM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
There was a tech guy, who wrote for an RV magazine, who said he ruined his refrigerator by stopping for 20 minutes in a unlevel place to help someone.
My guess would be that it was very far from level and running of propane; the boiler could perhaps have been burned through on one side by the flame hitting one side. It's hard to imagine how circulation of the refrigerant mix - driven by one of the electric heat sources - could ruin anything.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My guess would be that it was very far from level and running of propane; the boiler could perhaps have been burned through on one side by the flame hitting one side. It's hard to imagine how circulation of the refrigerant mix - driven by one of the electric heat sources - could ruin anything.
Yep. Had to be something like that. Running it out of level may stop it from cooling properly, but "ruined" in 20 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-2016, 11:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep. Had to be something like that. Running it out of level may stop it from cooling properly, but "ruined" in 20 minutes?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Rich,
With our HOA we've learned if we bring it over Fri nite or Sat morning when their offices are closed and get it back to storage before Mon morning we never hear from them...
I suspect it's hypervigalent neighbors. I'm going to ask for a "reasonableness" standard so they'll allow having the trailer available for early morning departures. We'll see ...
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tomago"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Just returned from a three-day trip in our 19' where we used propane to cool our RM8551 for the FIRST TIME since we took possession three years ago. The burner came on easily and after driving 6 hours, there was no cooling whatsoever. I let the burner run overnight and at noon, the next day, the temperature INSIDE the unit was 88F (outside was 76F). Ran on 120V last time a month ago and all was well. No smell of ammonia (making me think that the heating element is intact) or any apparent blockage anywhere I could see. Any ideas, I'm stumped. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
I had a similar experience over the past month.
Our RM8551 had worked reliably on propane since we picked it up almost 2 years ago. We lent Tomago to a friend, then two weeks after he returned, I tried to fire up the fridge to cool it down before our next journey. Wouldn't cool on anything!
Flame was there, though kinda small. No go on AC or DC and propane no go, too, so used a cooler for our fridge.
Called Reace and had already tried all his suggestions. Dropped it off at ETI to diagnose. They got it to work on AC & DC, but not propane. They suggested taking it to an authorized Dometic service centre (days left on warranty!). Took it to Fraserway RV in Delta, explaining the story. They tried it on propane, and it worked!! Tried diagnosing issues, but all was ok. Took it home and tried it again myself...and it worked, too! :banged:
Nothing changed, but it seems to be working fine now...touch wood!
Old 09-19-2016, 11:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
And finally who wouldn't use their electric and gas . 12 volt is useless and always has been . Pat
I am not sure what problem you had running on 12 volts, but we have used 12 volts while traveling about 15,000 miles with the TV and the solar panel charging the batteries and we always arrive at the campground with batteries fully charged and refrigerator cool. 12 volts works for some of us just fine.