A real dilemma--used vrs. new - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Thanks in large part to this discussion board and following our gut instinct, we have decided to go with a factory built new trailer. We looked long and hard at the used one and were sorely tempted but while we would have saved many thousands of dollars, the used trailer represented too many compromises. And, besides, we were looking forward to the trip to Chilliwack and exploring the great northwest. Having reached a decision, we feel relieved and can go back to dreaming about options and build lists and refining our perfect 19.

Harris & Ellen Tobias
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:22 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A trip of a lifetime, now you can reserve your spot on the production calendar and put yourself on the map, once we get it fixed. Oh, and welcome to our Escape family.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The long wait for the big day will be agony but... ditto trip of a lifetime. We did it last Sept. and had a wonderful time driving up there and then free-trailering to wonderful places in the great, amazing western world.

So much to see, so little time.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Harris and Ellen

We've had the same kind of dilemma trying to decide which way to go, new ordered just as we would like it from ETI, a trip to the coast and seeing friends out there, or used. But reality (financially principally) meant buying used knowing we are getting a well cared for trailer which will be delivered to our home. We will get out to the "wet coast" but it will be a while as we have nieces' weddings in Southern ON both this summer and next!

Adrian and Beth
2007 5.0 coming in May
Truck TBD
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad to hear you pulled the pin, Adrian.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:19 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25
We had a pre-owned Casita, which we sold when we purchased the pre-owned 19 we are sitting in.

We have been gone almost a month and it has been working out very well for us. There are a few things we wish were different, but have been able to work around.

It would be nice to take what we have learned and buy a new one just exactly how we want it.

But we also really like this one.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I think the only way a person gets exactly what they want in a trailer is to buy used and then buy the exact same model only NEW. You know what you would want to change and then can do it... but buying a different model, you're back into almost the same thing as buying a different BRAND. cpaharley has learned.. because he's on his second Escape, but I bet he's even finding things he wished he could have changed during the build...

But what do I know? I'm changing from an oldy, but goody 16' Scamp to an Escape 5er (AND CAN'T WAIT).
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think the only way a person gets exactly what they want in a trailer is to buy used and then buy the exact same model only NEW. ...
"No, you can't always get what you want
You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need"

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #29
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
"No, you can't always get what you want
But if you try sometime you find
You get what you need"
YEPPERS! I'm moving from need.. to want, because I can afford to make the change. AND I DESERVE IT. If not now, when...
Old 02-27-2014, 10:22 PM   #30

Donna,
Something came to me today, while shoveling ice/snow from around my Escape. If I had a fifth wheel then backing into my yard would be easier and I would also not need as long of a straight line to back since about 5 feet of space is over the tow vehicle. Now I'm thinking, hhmm maybe a Escape 5 TA is the way to go for those with limited access to their yards/parking pads. The over all length os a 5th set up is a lot shorter than the tow behind set up so that equates to easier maneuverability. Something to ponder now.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:03 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Donna,
Something came to me today, while shoveling ice/snow from around my Escape. If I had a fifth wheel then backing into my yard would be easier and I would also not need as long of a straight line to back since about 5 feet of space is over the tow vehicle. Now I'm thinking, hhmm maybe a Escape 5 TA is the way to go for those with limited access to their yards/parking pads. The over all length os a 5th set up is a lot shorter than the tow behind set up so that equates to easier maneuverability. Something to ponder now.
Holy smokes Jim. Are you thinking of another new trailer?
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:46 AM   #32

Not really, but I can see some of the benefits of the 5th set up and if my neighbor ever decided to erect a fence or say to me that I can not drive onto their property in order to back my trailer onto mine, THAT there could be an alternative way. I hate to think that I have no options and that could be one.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:18 AM   #33
Site Team

Jim, I think you're correct. Plus a few inches, my 16' Scamp and the new 5er are about the same length (tongue on the Scamp, front-bottom of the loft on the 5er). Those extra 4' are the loft. I don't know about maneuverability... I've never towed or backed up a 5th wheel. I've gotten pretty good with the Scamp. So while it may be a learning curve, i'm curious to find out the difference between the two.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #34

You do lose the most of the use of the truck bed on a 5th wheel. But I guess as the trailer grows, the need to use the truck for storage diminishes.

In some states you can tow something behind them too.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #35

Quote:
I think the only way a person gets exactly what they want in a trailer is to buy used and then buy the exact same model only NEW. You know what you would want to change and then can do it... but buying a different model, you're back into almost the same thing as buying a different BRAND. cpaharley has learned.. because he's on his second Escape, but I bet he's even finding things he wished he could have changed during the build...

But what do I know? I'm changing from an oldy, but goody 16' Scamp to an Escape 5er (AND CAN'T WAIT).
There is truth to this Donna. We can easily list the things we want that our Casita had that this 19 doesn't, along with some things Escape offers now that we wish we had.

We saw a Doug's brand new 19 at Quartzsite and it wrecked us. LOL. But no one except CPA HArley can keep up.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I don't know about maneuverability... I've never towed or backed up a 5th wheel. I've gotten pretty good with the Scamp. So while it may be a learning curve, i'm curious to find out the difference between the two.
While the principles are the same, there are some differences to reversing a 5th wheel. Once you get used to it though, and to how it reacts, you will find them overall easier to maneuver.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #37

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
We had a pre-owned Casita, which we sold when we purchased the pre-owned 19 we are sitting in.

We have been gone almost a month and it has been working out very well for us. There are a few things we wish were different, but have been able to work around.

It would be nice to take what we have learned and buy a new one just exactly how we want it.

But we also really like this one.
So what are the top two things you wish were different on your 19'? Just out of curiosity.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
So what are the top two things you wish were different on your 19'? Just out of curiosity.
The first two that come to mind are a window in the bathroom and an outdoor shower.

The window is handy for ventilation, and handing through a hose when flushing out the black tank.

We used the outdoor shower on our Casita for washing dishes and pots outside in a tub, less grease and food bits in the gray tank.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #39

Where are you disposing those food bits and grease if not in the gray tank?
Old 03-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #40

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Both good points. Thanks!
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used escape