AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 10 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #181

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Yes, they cease taking orders once the last two dates in 2016 are full which is probably close. They won't reopen orders till sometime as of yet TBD in 2016 and those will be for 2017 is the way it reads.
Congrats on your house project. Sounds like quite an undertaking.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 PM   #182

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Yes, they cease taking orders once the last two dates in 2016 are full which is probably close. They won't reopen orders till sometime as of yet TBD in 2016 and those will be for 2017 is the way it reads.
Congrats on your house project. Sounds like quite an undertaking.
Greg, that is the the 21' specifically ? What about other models - 17', 19' do they have their own dates ? Could they have more build slots than the 21' for 2016 ?

Thank you on the house, I threw out all wall and attic insulation, HVAC ceramic tile, etc. Calculated energy loads room by room using Manual J and chose all ductless units to heat and cool. Re-wired 80 percent of house with new sub panel best part - it's all documented so I can figure it out as I get older, 67 now but not getting any younger.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:49 PM   #183

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Guess you don't need a propane bar fridge for your man-space.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 PM   #184

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Guess you don't need a propane bar fridge for your man-space.
Well I would if we bought alcohol and stored it there, we would have no room left to keep our home grown veggies, grass fed meat, eggs, bacon and salads. We need a fridge that will keep all this no matter what fuel it uses.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:55 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Greg, that is the the 21' specifically ? What about other models - 17', 19' do they have their own dates ? Could they have more build slots than the 21' for 2016 ?

Thank you on the house, I threw out all wall and attic insulation, HVAC ceramic tile, etc. Calculated energy loads room by room using Manual J and chose all ductless units to heat and cool. Re-wired 80 percent of house with new sub panel best part - it's all documented so I can figure it out as I get older, 67 now but not getting any younger.
Awesome. Love to see pics of the house sometime if you put an album up somewhere. Sounds like a tremendous and well thought out Reno.
Check the production schedule on the Escape website, Reace also posted an announcement here as well that they would cease taking orders on all models. 17 is already closed and two slots on 19, 21, and 5.0 when filled those shut down as well. No set date as to when they will accept orders again, just sometime early 2016. I would put my deposit in now if you want a 21 in fall 2016. By the time you reach the factory in two weeks may not be able to put in an order.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:09 PM   #186
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
grass fed meat, eggs, bacon and salads. We need a fridge that will keep all this no matter what fuel it uses.
Protein (meat/bacon) needs to be kept cool (refrigerator), eggs and salad stuff just needs to be kept "cool." Don't overstuff the refer! It's one of the big issues folks have with "cooling."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:21 AM   #187

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree with Donna's comment, our refers in the trailers are not like the ones in our homes. One does not open the door and look for something nor stuff the unit full of food.
In the trailer, you get in and out quickly and you leave room inside for the air to circulate around the food. You also try to precool the items versus putting warm things directly into the unit. Plus, some items, as Donna mentioned, do not need to be refrigerated, if they will be consumed in a short period. Follow these rules and you should have no problems.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #188

Hi Jim,

I agree with you both, been there done that with variety of absorption refrigerators over the years.

This is why we need an electric DC refrigerator. If a unit that works as well as our home one, only a lot smaller, is within reach - why not? I am aware of the power requirements and what it takes. Dependable set and forget without worrying that the quick on the road overnight stop is level enough to avoid a blockage is what we are striving for. Partial food storage due to poor performance is not acceptable either.

We love the ETI trailers, all of them and one way or another will own one real soon. If I have to buy it with with the Dometic installed so be it, we will swap it out the minute it starts under performing. We are frugal people, very energy savvy and well aware of how each door opening impacts performance.

Years ago our food requirements was not an issue. Today our home pantry has a lot less in it and the refrigerator a lot more, There has been a food "shift" over the past few years. Much of the foods we use to load into our campers over the years did not required refrigeration, that has changed and we grocery shop in small frequent quantities, it's fresh and aside from fruits requires refrigeration. Drinks are simple, water.

We can resolve our steep driveway problem in the retirement house we are re-constructing when loading a trailer that needs to be level a day in advance. Buy a single axle trailer, that can be leveled easily. We still like the 17' as much as before and know that size will fit the allocated storage space in the retirement house.

We will be visiting the folks at ETI in 13 days, We are excited and looking forward to it. I see that most everything for 2016 is sold out, we will shoot for 2017, no problem we still have our old Scamp.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #189

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=cpaharley2008;109177 Follow these rules and you should have no problems.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, we'd find it impossible to follow those rules. First of all, it's a small fridge. If anything, it's going to be more crowded than our home fridge because, in fact, there are many items that do need refrigeration. Two types of milk containers alone take up significant space. And, yes, as at home, we often have to move items around to get something out. So as much as we'd like to keep the door opening down to seconds in duration, that's not practical for us.

Also, pre-cooling, on the road simply isn't practical. Leaving from home, yes, but on the road, no.

I've had two other types of systems that were both superior to the adsorption type. Engine driven compressor with holding plate and the NovaKool AC-DC type. Neither was affected by using them to capacity. While the Dometic is usable in some climates and it's nice to be able to use propane, having to use it in a special limited way is a negative.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:19 AM   #190

Trailer: Escape
Santiago and Ron both present information that is more logical and practical !
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #191

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
......... By the time you reach the factory in two weeks may not be able to put in an order.
Santiago,
What Greg stated is important. Last year, we were going to wait until we visited ETI, but saw the available dates disappearing so quickly that we called ETI, and put in a deposit using a credit card.
If we had waited, we would NOT be picking up our Escape in two weeks.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #192

[QUOTE=Santiago;109192]

Years ago our food requirements was not an issue. Today our home pantry has a lot less in it and the refrigerator a lot more, There has been a food "shift" over the past few years. /QUOTE]

How true. Years ago, if we were heading out on the boat for a long trip, a case of tinned Chuckwagon dinners would do just fine. Now, as you say, our eating habits have changed.

Ron
Old 09-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
How true. Years ago, if we were heading out on the boat for a long trip, a case of tinned Chuckwagon dinners would do just fine. Now, as you say, our eating habits have changed.

Ron
That's for sure Ron, when I ate wheat products packing food to go was easy, I used the refrigerator for SODAs !!!! When I look back to those days I realize where I went wrong health wise. Today I need my food cold storage device not let me down as the pantry has very little. And yes if need be it will be full to capacity every now and then without a care in the world. By the way, sodas were history long ago.

What type of boat did you own ? With so many beautiful lakes, rivers and waterways where you live I would think they are an important part of life. How nice.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Santiago,
What Greg stated is important. Last year, we were going to wait until we visited ETI, but saw the available dates disappearing so quickly that we called ETI, and put in a deposit using a credit card.
If we had waited, we would NOT be picking up our Escape in two weeks.
Hi Don and Teresa,

Very kind of you to bring that up, this is why I love the folk on this forum. They care about each other.

As a matter of fact I started to worry about that and looked up the ordering situation last night and we then realized that the 2016 17ft "ship" had sailed. We were ok with that.

This morning as Kim and I were headed to the construction site, our retirement home rebuild we are doing, we realized that we really like the 21 more. While on site, we studied the trailer storage area and found a way to fit it in. We are too cheap to pay for storage.

I called ETI 10am when they open and placed order and deposit for a 2016 21ft model, hatching 22 November 2016, 8 days before I retire !!!

During our visit in 13 days the DC refrigerator will be discussed. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your ordering advise, much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:13 AM   #195

Quote:
T
What type of boat did you own ? With so many beautiful lakes, rivers and waterways where you live I would think they are an important part of life. How nice.
I've owned several but the main two were ocean going sailboats, one I built myself. One had the NovaKool system. I bought the guts and built a well insulated chest fridge/freezer. It was great, wish I had a spare one to put in the trailer. The second boat had an engine driven compressor and a freezer plate, also in a top loading chest. It was used in very hot climates for years and it was so good. Run the compressor for 30-45 minutes a day and stuff stayed cold or frozen for a day easily. Not practical for a trailer though.

Ron
Old 09-06-2015, 01:21 AM   #196

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Congratulations, Santiago and Kim.
Sounds like the timing will be working out perfectly.

Now the fun part begins in earnest: Completing the build list, then getting more great ideas on the forum and imagineering how you'll use your Escape, then revising and updating the list (*), repeat,.... then..... you take a breath, sign it (maybe next spring or summer), send it in , and before you know it, it's time to take a trip to pick it up.

*(We changed our list about once a month from Nov. to May. ETI would say, "yes, we can do that", or "no, we can't", or "how about doing this". They just kept working with us to make it our special Escape plan. It is really fun.)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:41 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Congratulations, Santiago and Kim.
Sounds like the timing will be working out perfectly.

Now the fun part begins in earnest: Completing the build list, then getting more great ideas on the forum and imagineering how you'll use your Escape, then revising and updating the list (*), repeat,.... then..... you take a breath, sign it (maybe next spring or summer), send it in , and before you know it, it's time to take a trip to pick it up.

*(We changed our list about once a month from Nov. to May. ETI would say, "yes, we can do that", or "no, we can't", or "how about doing this". They just kept working with us to make it our special Escape plan. It is really fun.)
Thank you very much Don and Teresa, the process is becoming more and more clear.
I am so glad to hear that ETI is so co-operative, I am know their are nice people.

Yes we plan on this being our last RV as we enter retirement and look forward discovering all the special little places and meeting people all over. All of North America, except Mexico and especially Canada, we want to see all of Canada.

This was not possible while working. It was so painful having to cut the fun off and hurry home on a Sunday, back to work Monday.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:09 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I wonder why? Hopefully it isn't related to product quality or anything related to the business. Maybe Reace gets great pricing by using Dometic exclusively.
I think you are spot on Steve, there is no other reasonable explanation on why ETI is so adamant on nothing but a Dometic.

I am certain Dometic's favorable pricing structure requires volume, it would be detrimental for ETI to lower volume. For each trailer they sell, one Dometic has to leave the premise even if its still in the box. This could all be about a contract between ETI and Dometic, nothing else.

I would be willing to just take partial compensation much lower that what ETI pays for the unit so that they profit from the "sale" of a Dometic to me. I want them to make their profit on that one component of the trailer (refer) just like they make a profit on all it's other components.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #199

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I am pretty sure that in order to get the CSA (or other) approval, gas appliances must be installed and hooked up. When talking to Chis R, the fellow who did the nice cabinetry (and other) work in his 5.0 TA (I am not absolutely positive on details), I believe Escape had to rig up a countertop and install the stove to get approval, then Chris rebuilt the whole dinette.
They do anything they can to satisfy a customer. I think Jim has already given the answer.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #200

Congratulations Santiago n Kim! I think you made a good decision with your impending visit to ETI to know that you are in the queue now for your 21. You will really enjoy it and the process. Reace, Tammy, and everyone we've been working with on ours are really helpful and very accommodating.