AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #201

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
They do anything they can to satisfy a customer. I think Jim has already given the answer.
Actually, I was wondering about that. I can see a reluctance to not provide something like a capped gas line to an area with the understanding that, later, the customer would install some gas appliance there.

But in the case of the NovaKool. No gas line is required. I can't see that there could be a CSA regulation based on something that doesn't exist.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #202

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I expect they have had to submit plans for how the gas lines run etc. and any deviation would require them to go through the entire approval process all over again, which wouldn't be cost effective.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:31 AM   #203
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I expect they have had to submit plans for how the gas lines run etc. and any deviation would require them to go through the entire approval process all over again, which wouldn't be cost effective.
Reace told me as much when I was at the factory asking about the NovaKool. They have an approved design, and that design includes the LP layout. If they don't run a line to the fridge compartment, and connect it to an LP fridge, they've deviated from the approved design. They could submit plans for a second design that does not run a gas line to that area, and does not include the fridge (another deviation) or includes a compressor fridge (which would require a new supplier, etc) but going through the approval/certification process for that is apparently not quick and easy.

One thing I figured out in talking to Reace over time was that if he says no, there's an underlying reason. Show me another fgrv manufacturer who is as accommodating to customers as Escape is. Haven't seen one. I may be considered a fan boy for saying that, which is OK. Guilty as charged.

If I were committed to a compressor fridge, I would simply sell the 8 series and install the NovaKool myself, as Steve did.
Old 09-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #204

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I do know that Wolf and Gabi got a Dometic AC/DC fridge in their 15A. It is small and they also did not get a propane furnace. They do have gas to their stove. It was, however, a 2012 and maybe ETI will no longer do this kind of install, but at one time if you chose Dometic and didn't care about size, it was done.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #205

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
ETI told me that a gas line has to have the appliance for it installed and working. They cannot run a gas line without the appliance.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #206

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
ETI told me that a gas line has to have the appliance for it installed and working. They cannot run a gas line without the appliance.
If referring to my previous post, the only gas line Gabi and Wolf had run was to their stove top. So no gas to a fridge because they only had an AC/DC installed.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:52 PM   #207

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
ETI runs a gas line to the exterior propane disconnect which is not an appliance.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:03 PM   #208

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Operative word being perhaps exterior.
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #209

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
I do know that Wolf and Gabi got a Dometic AC/DC fridge in their 15A. It is small and they also did not get a propane furnace. They do have gas to their stove. It was, however, a 2012 and maybe ETI will no longer do this kind of install, but at one time if you chose Dometic and didn't care about size, it was done.
This is correct , there has also been at least on other 15A without a gas stove that we know of .
We too had inquired about the Nova Cool ( had one in a previous trailer - worked very well ) , however ETI was not dealing with NovaCool only Dometic . The Dometic we have is small ( less than 2cf ), for us it holds about a weeks worth of " need to be in the fridge food ". It seems most folks prefer a "the bigger the better" fridge There may simply be business reasons that make it inefficient to deal with a variety of suppliers - can't quite see it is as a blue print issue .

( could be wrong - but don't think it is code to have joint connections inside -think they need to be outside or surely somehow vented to the exterior )
Old 09-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #210

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I have seen both tent trailers and very small travel trailers which have removable stoves (which are used both inside and outside) - the stove is not permanently installed, and the gas line ends in a connector. I'm sure the requirement is not quite "no gas line without an installed appliance", but it seems reasonable that a capped-off line might not be an acceptable part of the design for new construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
... could be wrong - but don't think it is code to have joint connections inside -think they need to be outside or surely somehow vented to the exterior...
Someone who is willing to pay for a copy of the applicable standard - or look it up at a library - should check this, but it seems to me that a shutoff valve (which is often included in a line to an appliance) is impossible to install without a joint. I suspect that the requirement would be to avoid joints other than at devices such as the appliance or a shutoff valve.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:36 PM   #211
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
can't quite see it is as a blue print issue .
You could be right. I don't recall the exact reasons given word for word. But, Escape has a reason for saying no, and for them it makes the best business sense.

Judging by the long line of people waiting for a trailer, and a 1 year lead time, I'd say their business acumen is pretty good.