AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 AM   #51
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Without any personal experience with the mechanics involved, I am most comfortable following the information provided by the manufacturer.
Jamie, it sounds like we are going to find out soon enough of someone does the installation. We will all be looking at ongoing performance of that unit under many conditions.
__________________

__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
jamie beers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Vancouver, BC, British Columbia
Trailer: 19'
Posts: 318
exciting, isn't it?
__________________

jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 AM   #53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Good point. Cost difference in adding the ac converter is steep.
I was quoted $141.00 for the AC option this week locally and I just can't justify what it would do additionally for me.
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:46 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie beers View Post
Without any personal experience with the mechanics involved, I am most comfortable following the information provided by the manufacturer.
A fair point, and I agree with Steve. We'll find out soon enough. By March I'll have some hard data on run cycle percentage, total amperage, etc. We'll have to wait till next summer for the high temp data, but I fully expect it to be in the ranges I mentioned, based on my ownership of a DC fridge in a house boat. We took that thing out on Lake Powell in 100 degree heat for days at a time, and it kept everything ice cold. It put a dent in the batteries, but not enough to deplete them. You could hear it running about two thirds of the time, but it didn't run constantly. I also have a small fridge in the garage that uses a Danfoss Bd35 compressor which is the same as the one Novakool uses. The fridge runs about 50% of the time, and trust me when I tell you that my garage, in San Antonio, in summertime, is not exactly cool.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #55
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,659
Where are you guys keeping your 4x6 volt batteries. Front box on the 19 or rear bumper on the 17? How much do these batteries weigh and if on the front what is the tongue weight? If on the rear, what about your tongue weight?
With 460 amps storage, your useable is 40% or approximately 200 a/h, so adding the additional solar panels to maintain that 200 a/h adds even more weight. So total maybe 200 - 250 total additional pounds to carry permanently for this set up? IMHO that is a lot of extra weight to tote. Something to consider, your Escape maybe turning into a Bigfoot, weight wise.
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where are you guys keeping your 4x6 volt batteries. Front box on the 19 or rear bumper on the 17? How much do these batteries weigh and if on the front what is the tongue weight? If on the rear, what about your tongue weight?
With 460 amps storage, your useable is 40% or approximately 200 a/h, so adding the additional solar panels to maintain that 200 a/h adds even more weight. So total maybe 200 - 250 total additional pounds to carry permanently for this set up? IMHO that is a lot of extra weight to tote. Something to consider, your Escape maybe turning into a Bigfoot, weight wise.
Yes, weight is definitely a factor. I believe Steve keeps them in his front storage box. An additional panel and 2 more batteries would add about 150 lbs. Tongue weight would be higher, so maybe a little redistribution of trailer contents would be needed. I'll let Steve speak to the impact while towing since he's had that setup for awhile now.
__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Palm Desert, California
Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Posts: 23
Good stuff Steve. I too am concerned about the performance of the 6.7 Dometic as expressed on this forum. My 5er is nearly complete, and includes the standard refer. I spoke to Tammy and Reace yesterday about doing a swap-out with the NovaKool, based on all the comments and visiting their website. On the phone with Reace he seems to be sticking with Dometic, trying to work out the bugs with the existing product. He also said to me that he will not do business with NovaKool. That surprised me - most likely something I'm not aware of. Anyway, I told him I respect his decision, but if the Dometic doesn't perform I will install the compressor type refer at my own expense. This is why I am interested in your project. Maybe we can swap stories on this subject in person soon - I live just over the hill from you in Palm Desert.

Craig
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #58
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Escondido, California
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Posts: 874
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
Good stuff Steve. I too am concerned about the performance of the 6.7 Dometic as expressed on this forum. My 5er is nearly complete, and includes the standard refer. I spoke to Tammy and Reace yesterday about doing a swap-out with the NovaKool, based on all the comments and visiting their website. On the phone with Reace he seems to be sticking with Dometic, trying to work out the bugs with the existing product. He also said to me that he will not do business with NovaKool. That surprised me - most likely something I'm not aware of. Anyway, I told him I respect his decision, but if the Dometic doesn't perform I will install the compressor type refer at my own expense. This is why I am interested in your project. Maybe we can swap stories on this subject in person soon - I live just over the hill from you in Palm Desert.

Craig
I wonder why? Hopefully it isn't related to product quality or anything related to the business. Maybe Reace gets great pricing by using Dometic exclusively.
__________________
480 Amps 12VDC Battery Capacity,
350 Watts Adjustable Solar Panels,
2500 Watt Inverter;
"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Central, New Jersey
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21, 2014 Four Wheel Campers Grandby
Posts: 35
For someone that does not want to do a complete refrigerator swap, something like this may augment the current 3 way Dometic. I have used the cf-35 in my slide-in camper the last 3 years, and it has worked out well. It can be used either in freezer or refrigerator mode as needed, and it can be moved to the tv when underway. I run this off of a 105 ah AGM battery and typically need to recharge every 2 -3 days when running it in refrigerator mode and every 1 -2 days in freezer mode.

https://www.dometic.com/c944dba9-6fc...9e778a0b.fodoc
NJ Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #60
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where are you guys keeping your 4x6 volt batteries. Front box on the 19 or rear bumper on the 17? How much do these batteries weigh and if on the front what is the tongue weight? If on the rear, what about your tongue weight?
Excellent questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yes, weight is definitely a factor. I believe Steve keeps them in his front storage box. An additional panel and 2 more batteries would add about 150 lbs. Tongue weight would be higher, so maybe a little redistribution of trailer contents would be needed.
My understanding is that you have a 17B on order.
An Escape 17 (A or B) has the axle set relatively rearward, and so would tend to be front(hitch)-heavy, so Escape puts the battery (or dual batteries) on the rear bumper - I think the 17' is the only Escape model done this way. I don't know that there is enough space for four batteries on the bumper, and even if there is the additional weight would decrease the tongue weight if placed there. If all four go on the tongue instead, it seems likely to me that tongue weight would be too high. Four batteries could be split into the two locations, but there could be a lot of heavy-gauge cable involved, and care would be required in wiring design to keep current balanced between the paralleled batteries.
__________________

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.