AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #141

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I've got a carbide chain in mine for demo work....maybe for the old refer!...
You do not want to use that chain for this job! For all of the fine cutting required to fit that new fridge into your Escape, you for sure will have to get out the finishing chain.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #142

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I use one of these when needed....
Old 10-09-2014, 05:48 PM   #143

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I just re-read this, and noticed that I messed it up in editing, so it doesn't actually make sense:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The standard equipment from most golf car manufacturers, according to online specs from them last year, an option is six 8-volt batteries, in series for a 48-volt system. For 1/3 more capacity, at the expense of 1/3 more weight of batteries, is eight 6-volt batteries for the same system voltage.
Sorry about that! Here's the corrected version with the misplaced text struck out:
The standard equipment from most golf car manufacturers, according to online specs from them last year, is six 8-volt batteries, in series for a 48-volt system. An option, for 1/3 more capacity at the expense of 1/3 more weight of batteries, is eight 6-volt batteries for the same system voltage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #144

Quote:
...The microwave space will be used but the refrigerator is slightly shorter than the top of that space so the top gap will be finish trimmed.
Steve, it looks like you're planning on continuing to vent to the outside. If you want to vent to the inside - assuming that the refrigerator has the coils on the back and no venting of its own to the front - you'll need that space for airflow.
If you don't need it for airflow, and it is big enough, a shallow shelf or cabinet can be handy for stuff like cutting boards or trays. We have a shallow cabinet over the refrigerator in our current cabinet and I appreciate that space.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:20 PM   #145

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Steve, it looks like you're planning on continuing to vent to the outside. If you want to vent to the inside - assuming that the refrigerator has the coils on the back and no venting of its own to the front - you'll need that space for airflow.
If you don't need it for airflow, and it is big enough, a shallow shelf or cabinet can be handy for stuff like cutting boards or trays. We have a shallow cabinet over the refrigerator in our current cabinet and I appreciate that space.
Great idea....maybe a pizza cabinet!...or for storing tortillas for hot fish tacos! I'll do some measuring and see how big it will be. Thx!
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #146

Trailer: 5.0 TA Dec 2014
Me too!
CraigJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #147

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
What is nice is that I can run it on the bench before installation to watch and listen to it operate.
Way to go, I think you'll be happy with the performance. I've used them for years in boats and they do work as advertised.

I wouldn't put too much faith on the bench testing being much of an indication of the installed noise level etc. There's other factors, such as a harmonic vibration etc. that could show up when installed. Easy enough to deal with but they're pretty quiet, all I ever did was install and use.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #148

Trailer: none
Are there any updates from ETI regarding refrigerator-gate?

I have talked to some people who have other trailers with these 3-way, evaporation refrigerators and not one of them had anything good to say about them. One person had gone through three of them in his trailer and now uses ice chests, instead.

I don't want to spend $25K on my 17B come next spring and have a fridge that doesn't work properly. I expect all systems to perform without causing headaches. I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that, assuming sufficient electrical resources, a compressor fridge is the only reliable way to go. I sure hope this option will be available to me.
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:54 AM   #149
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by singletracker View Post
I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that, assuming sufficient electrical resources, a compressor fridge is the only reliable way to go. I sure hope this option will be available to me.
Its always an option to go with a compressor fridge -- just NOT one installed by ETI. Reace IS currently working a resolution for the 4.3 and 6.7 issues.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:51 AM   #150

So, ETI has totally ruled out the compressor fridge as a future option? I wonder why that would be. It seems that, given the right trailer configuration, the compressor fridge may be a better choice. With all the customization that ETI does, why not this? I must be missing something.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:47 AM   #151
Site Team

Quote:
So, ETI has totally ruled out the compressor fridge as a future option? I wonder why that would be. It seems that, given the right trailer configuration, the compressor fridge may be a better choice. With all the customization that ETI does, why not this? I must be missing something.
Yeah, I don't know all the reasons why either. I can tell you that I broached the subject with Reace, and a compressor fridge option installed by ETI isn't going to happen any time soon.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #152
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Probably two reasons. Volume and price. Those go hand-in-hand to make it financially doable for ETI.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #153

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Probably two reasons. Volume and price. ...
And a third reason. The Canadian Habitat Regulators* that have given their stamp of approval, would require ETI to go through another certification process.

(* And if its not obvious, I made up that agency. But there is a real-life equivalent, I just don't know the name.)

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #154

I'm not suggesting that ETI should accommodate another production option, but I don't think installing a compressor-type refrigerator would be an issue for certification. With no associated propane, the only approval would be compliance with CSA Z240 and the corresponding RVIA standard. That would probably only apply to the power wiring, and the appliance would connect to the same wiring as absorption refrigerator, so it doesn't seem like a big deal to me; cabinet changes are probably more of an issue.

The price would presumably be high, due to the lack of purchase volume.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:30 PM   #155

Price can always be passed on to the consumer, who is willing to pay for it. So, I can't see that as an issue. You want to upgrade to a compressor fridge, it will cost you X dollars, just like any other upgrade. Do they really cost any more to begin with?

I'm no expert, but it sure seems like installing a compressor fridge would involve less work than installing an evaporation fridge that requires plumbing and venting for propane.

Like I said, I must be missing something
Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #156

Quote:
... You want to upgrade to a compressor fridge, it will cost you X dollars, just like any other upgrade. Do they really cost any more to begin with?
Even if the list price is the same, ETI may get a better deal on the absorption refrigerators due to their purchase volume (although the entire ETI production isn't much by RV industry standards, a few dozen units may be enough).

Quote:
I'm no expert, but it sure seems like installing a compressor fridge would involve less work than installing an evaporation fridge that requires plumbing and venting for propane.
I agree, but there are substantial costs to doing thing differently in a well-worked-out production system. Just not cutting the vent openings in the wall and not installing the propane line seem easy, and the electrical circuits wouldn't change, but I don't know enough about the cabinet fabrication and installation and other details to know what Reace's concern might be.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:19 PM   #157

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Has anyone checked to see if any current compressor units will go through the door? Doesn't seem so from my conversation with Reace a month prior to our delivery when we discussed the topic but who knows?

If one will fit then maybe someone should take it upon themselves to do their own install. ETI will in all likelihood credit you for not taking theirs.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #158
Site Team

See post 125. Someone has taken it upon themselves. Steve (hotfishtacos) ordered a NovaKool for his 19 and will be installing it. At a little under 22 inches wide it will fit through the door. Its an existing unit of course, so no credit for not including the stock Dometic from ETI.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #159

Trailer: 2015 17b
I just joined this forum, since I'm starting to look at Escape trailers. This is an interesting discussion. I have also considered a converted Sprinter van, using solar, no propane and 110/12 volt compressor refrigerator. Compressor units are being commonly used as they can run on 12V AGM batteries recharged by solar. If I order an Escape or buy used, it will have an Engel or NorCold. Probably delete EFI model. See this discussion 12V Refrigerator Questions - Sprinter-Forum.
Escapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:16 PM   #160

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I asked ETI about a DC Novacool option: Still the same…. NO and won't give a credit for not installing the stock refrigerator.( 4 sale Oct 2015 RMD 8555 new never used ) I'm wondering how many folks in the build process would choose a DC refrigerator if available. The trail blazing of Steve with his novacool install took the uncertainty from this and now makes it a good option for some.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote