AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2015, 05:20 PM   #161
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by craiginpetaluma View Post
I asked ETI about a DC Novacool option: Still the same…. NO and won't give a credit for not installing the stock refrigerator.( 4 sale Oct 2015 RMD 8555 new never used ) I'm wondering how many folks in the build process would choose a DC refrigerator if available. The trail blazing of Steve with his novacool install took the uncertainty from this and now makes it a good option for some.
Give the RMD 8555 a chance when you get it Craig. Reports are that it outperforms the single door models ETI used before.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:25 PM   #162

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I asked ETI about a DC Novacool option: Still the same…. NO and won't give a credit for not installing the stock refrigerator.
While that's disappointing for those wanting a non-stock refrigerator, to be fair almost nothing can be left out of other consumer products for a credit. On some pickup truck models you can get a credit for "box delete" (just a bare frame in the back, no box), but that's about it... and you can't even do that one some truck models. Don't want some other component? Too bad, you're getting it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 PM   #163
Site Team

Hard for me to even think about refrigeration right now since the high today here in Rochester was zero, wind chill is currently minus 22. I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune come August in South Texas.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #164

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't recall an accounting of the expense of installing a DC fridge and solar and batteries required. I suspect a major reason for not offering it as an option is that would raise the cost for the standard fridge ( ETI volume purchase being less ) and that it costs too much for most consumers.
ETI is in a position to consider if the option makes any sense, and I presume it does not.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:37 PM   #165
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I don't recall an accounting of the expense of installing a DC fridge and solar and batteries required. I suspect a major reason for not offering it as an option is that would raise the cost for the standard fridge ( ETI volume purchase being less ) and that it costs too much for most consumers.
ETI is in a position to consider if the option makes any sense, and I presume it does not.
Very true. I believe Steve spent $1500 plus on the Novakool, and in order to make that type practical for boondocking you'd need two 160w panels, and probably more than two 232ah 6v batts or similar. Do the math and we're talking about $2300-$2400 minimum. That also doesn't include installation, and although he installed it himself, time is money.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:55 PM   #166

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Weight accounting

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wonder if part of ETI's evaluation is the weight differential.
The Novacool is heavier than the Dometic, is it not. And certainly, the four 6V batteries Steve installed are a major weight contributor. Three solar modules add 20-30 lbs. apiece; it all adds up.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:09 PM   #167

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And we still don't know how well it would work in places like BC Provincial Parks, where the campsites are often surrounded by 100-foot trees and bathed in shadow.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 PM   #168

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21 2002 Tundra 4x4 V-8 tow package.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Give the RMD 8555 a chance when you get it Craig. Reports are that it outperforms the single door models ETI used before.
Thanks Robert, that's encouraging. Given the super customer satisfaction nature of ETI and some dissatisfaction in the fridge performance, I was hopeful for a credit. Then the DC fridge option starts to make sense to give it a try. Yes, the cost and weight of a supporting solar electric system is high…..But many more benefits not just the fridge, and true it's satisfactory performance in all conditions is still a question. Being able to make your own ice cubes while camping…. pretty cool.
craiginpetaluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:31 PM   #169

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I imagine HFT would have to do the same as the rest of us with solar, if you run into too many days without the sun you need to find hookups or take along the generator. Guess you could add a better charger/converter to the price tag.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:13 PM   #170

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
I asked ETI about a DC Novacool option: Still the same…. NO and won't give a credit for not installing the stock refrigerator.( 4 sale Oct 2015 RMD 8555 new never used ) I'm wondering how many folks in the build process would choose a DC refrigerator if available. The trail blazing of Steve with his novacool install took the uncertainty from this and now makes it a good option for some.
Hi Craig in Petaluma,

We plan on visiting ETI in two weeks and if everything goes well order a 21'.
I am dead set on the Nova Kool RFU 6800 21-1/2" deep, it will go through the trailer door. The width is same as the Dometic ( 20-1/4" ) no need to widen the cutout as Steve did, his refrigerator was 23-1/4" wide that's why he had to do a bit of wood working.

Since ETI won't touch the Nova Kool I will buy and install. No problem there.
My problem is hearing that I will be stuck with a brand new Dometic, no credit. Did you bring the new Dometic home still in it's original box ?

This is not what I expected and will certainly not leave me with happy thoughts, despite what anyone says. Not asking ETI to waste time/labor on an install and have it removed, just leave the new Dometic in the store room for another customer.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #171

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Having had lots of good experience with NovaKool in the past, on boats, if it had been a choice during production, that's what I would have gone with.

That is an annoying situation. You'd think that they'd see it as win-win. They credit you with their cost for the fridge, you win, and they don't have to plumb for gas, they win.

Pretty parallel situation for me with table pedestal. I have two new, never installed table tubes and bases that I don't need. In that case it was only a few bucks involved but getting a fridge you don't want is a little much.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #172

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I am pretty sure that in order to get the CSA (or other) approval, gas appliances must be installed and hooked up. When talking to Chis R, the fellow who did the nice cabinetry (and other) work in his 5.0 TA (I am not absolutely positive on details), I believe Escape had to rig up a countertop and install the stove to get approval, then Chris rebuilt the whole dinette. Maybe he could provide detail if he sees this.

Escape goes the extra distance for people in doing modifications, and we should be thankful for that. I doubt you could find another manufacturer of an RV anywhere else that would go even near as far as Escape.

Who knows, if enough people will request something, Escape might just look at it being an option. For those like me that boondock most of the time, propane is the only way to go, short of employing expensive solar.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM   #173

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Craig purchased his trailer with the refer installed, so it was inside his trailer. As far as forcing the issue, with a year waiting list, supply and demand will resolve that issue. Take it with the trailer and try it, you may like it. Besides there maybe issues with selling a unit without one? What did Escape tell you?
Old 09-04-2015, 04:37 PM   #174

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Craig purchased his trailer with the refer installed, so it was inside his trailer. As far as forcing the issue, with a year waiting list, supply and demand will resolve that issue. Take it with the trailer and try it, you may like it. Besides there maybe issues with selling a unit without one? What did Escape tell you?
Jim I have tried it in large and small motor homes and trailers. I don't want to fiddle with it anymore. If I had to buy it fine, no problem. I would take it home in or out of the box but not mounted unless they refrain from cutting out the two ventilation cutouts on the side and roof.

Smaller side issue is my steep driveway forcing me to park in the street day before to prior to loading due to leveling issues. Not looking forward to fiddling with a temperamental, marginal refrigerator. I prefer to take it home and sell it. I think that's fair.

My conversations with ETI did not include the word "No", just that the entry door is too narrow, the existing cabinet too small. We'll see when we visit.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
My conversations with ETI did not include the word "No", just that the entry door is too narrow, the existing cabinet too small. We'll see when we visit.
It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the conversation during the visit. Have fun there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It will be interesting to hear what comes out of the conversation during the visit. Have fun there.
Jim,

Stay tuned. Will report in three weeks as we are leaving for a cruise right after the visit.

If ETI wants they can leave that cabinet front wall paneled meaning no cutouts. They can write it up as "customer does not need any refrigeration, he will install storage area or ice cooler".
Old 09-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #177

Have fun in your cruise.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 PM   #178

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Santiago,
I hope in a couple of weeks you are still able to order the 21 as the two remaining production dates may be sold out. Did they give you any assurances on being able to still order one when you get there??
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #179

And who knows, I know that two 19's sold yesterday, but Escape's site says they are still available.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:38 PM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Santiago,
I hope in a couple of weeks you are still able to order the 21 as the two remaining production dates may be sold out. Did they give you any assurances on being able to still order one when you get there??
Hi Greg,

Last I heard, few weeks ago, it was for August 2016. I asked if it could be further along, they said September. I can wait till later in 2016 UNLESS there is a 21' build cutoff point ?

Well, I guess I will find out soon. The good news is that we are in no hurry as we are still working full time and every free moment Kim and I have we are re-constructing a lovely California Ranch style home we gutted totally. We are the entire work force on this multi year project, so late 2016 is ok with us.

Thank you for the heads up.