AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2014, 02:24 PM   #61

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Where are you guys keeping your 4x6 volt batteries. Front box on the 19 or rear bumper on the 17? How much do these batteries weigh and if on the front what is the tongue weight? If on the rear, what about your tongue weight?
With 460 amps storage, your useable is 40% or approximately 200 a/h, so adding the additional solar panels to maintain that 200 a/h adds even more weight. So total maybe 200 - 250 total additional pounds to carry permanently for this set up? IMHO that is a lot of extra weight to tote. Something to consider, your Escape maybe turning into a Bigfoot, weight wise.
Hi Jim! 2 extra batteries is only 130 more pounds in the trailer. I had 4 up front in the box and pulled 2 out to try boon-docking with only 2. I can put the other 2 back in easily. If I go with the DC refer I will add the 2 back but may put them on the back bumper to keep the tongue weight down. However, the rear bumper on the 19' is too close to the trailer to put batteries in a box inside the bumper outline. If I did I would cut the bumper off and move it back a few inches then reattach it with steel platforms inside the outline for the batteries. I would probably run 4 gauge cable back up front. I'm not too worried about balancing amp loads because they are normally so small, however, I would probably take the rear set of batteries offline when I ran my 2500 watt inverter.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
... I'm not too worried about balancing amp loads because they are normally so small, however, I would probably take the rear set of batteries offline when I ran my 2500 watt inverter.
I agree that if you are resigned to managing two banks of batteries separately, then the wiring considerations are simplified.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Excellent questions.

My understanding is that you have a 17B on order.
An Escape 17 (A or B) has the axle set relatively rearward, and so would tend to be front(hitch)-heavy, so Escape puts the battery (or dual batteries) on the rear bumper - I think the 17' is the only Escape model done this way. I don't know that there is enough space for four batteries on the bumper, and even if there is the additional weight would decrease the tongue weight if placed there. If all four go on the tongue instead, it seems likely to me that tongue weight would be too high. Four batteries could be split into the two locations, but there could be a lot of heavy-gauge cable involved, and care would be required in wiring design to keep current balanced between the paralleled batteries.
Well Brian, now that you mentioned the 17B, I guess I better let the cat out of the bag.

We switched a few weeks ago to the 19. The queen bed was the kicker. Tammy and Reace were gracious enough to let us keep our original build date. Also, the amount of fabric we sent them will not have to change by going to the 19. My trip up there next week is mainly to cement my decision.
Old 10-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Well Brian, now that you mentioned the 17B, I guess I better let the cat out of the bag.

We switched a few weeks ago to the 19. The queen bed was the kicker. Tammy and Reace were gracious enough to let us keep our original build date. Also, the amount of fabric we sent them will not have to change by going to the 19. My trip up there next week is mainly to cement my decision.
Congrats on the 19' decision. You are going to love it. Remember the 22" door when looking at refers!

Steve
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 PM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Congrats on the 19' decision. You are going to love it. Remember the 22" door when looking at refers!

Steve
Yeah Steve, I keep coming back to that. The Dometic Americana series fridges don't have near as much reported problems as their RM85xx series do. I believe it's simply because they're designed to operate in higher temps (although they don't have a climate class rating, because they aren't sold in Europe, and it isn't required). If it wasn't for the 22" door, changing to a different Dometic model number would be a simple matter, and a quick fix. 22 3/4" or 23" wide isn't going to cut it.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #66

Quote:
Yeah Steve, I keep coming back to that. The Dometic Americana series fridges don't have near as much reported problems as their RM85xx series do. I believe it's simply because they're designed to operate in higher temps (although they don't have a climate class rating, because they aren't sold in Europe, and it isn't required). If it wasn't for the 22" door, changing to a different Dometic model number would be a simple matter, and a quick fix. 22 3/4" or 23" wide isn't going to cut it.
....literally!
Old 10-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The door dimension is a problem, if you need to get a different model through the door... but there's always the back window!

Casita changed the back window years ago, because that's where they put the refrigerator into the trailer and also when it needs to be replaced.

Maybe that would work for you as well Robert?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #68

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:

We switched a few weeks ago to the 19.
I wondered about that - I thought you were going larger but your profile said "17B" (corrected since) and some (older) posts confirmed that.

Okay... no batteries on the bumper.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #69

This is a good read on Novakool from a forum in Austrailia. - Caravaners Forum • View topic - Nova Kool Fridge/ freezer Opinions wanted
Old 10-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The door dimension is a problem, if you need to get a different model through the door... but there's always the back window!

Casita changed the back window years ago, because that's where they put the refrigerator into the trailer and also when it needs to be replaced.

Maybe that would work for you as well Robert?
The back window is about 17" tall...still a problem.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #71
Site Team

Yup. Reace has looked at this extensively. The RM85xx series is the only fridge Dometic makes that's of adequate CF and fits through the door. On the 15, the standard 3CF fridge (Not the RM85xx series) is narrow enough to fit through, but at the sacrifice of capacity. If he had a way of getting a wider fridge inside, I'm sure he would have figured it out. But, it was still a good idea to mention it Donna.

My thought was a bit more radical. What if they placed the fridge inside before they joined the two halves together, like they do with the bathroom insert? Two problems there: working around the fridge as they build out the interior, and removing the fridge should it become necessary to replace it later.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Okay, one more thing.

There's a company in Falkville, AL that rebuilds Norcold and Dometic RV refrigerators. Maybe it would be an idea to give them a call and tell them what's happening? Perhaps they have a solution?

Rv Refrigeration Repair

There's also a place in St. Thomas, Ontario Canada. I believe Alf has mentioned them on FiberglassRV. Might check with them too?

http://www.gammonsrv.com/11201.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #73

Maybe this will help. It is a listing of all the specs on Novakool units with sizes.

http://www.novakool.com/products/two...al2013_001.pdf

I noticed that the little brother of the R5810 model you were interested in is the R4500, 4.3 cuft and will fit. Take a look.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:07 PM   #74
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
rbryan4,

As you are going to ETI fairly soon it would be good to know exactly what 12v compressor frig they would be willing to install on a new trailer.

Dometic Marine sells a 2.8 cubicFT(model CR-1080) and a 3.8 cubicFT(model CR-1110). It would be good to know what they would install and what they consider the limiting factor is.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:

Wow, I guess I'm surprised and then I'm not. Getting the size right can be a stumper. Only by running back and forth between the 19 and the 21 did we make our choice. Anyway, enjoy your trip to Chilliwack and remember. Seattle traffic sucks. Skiman wrote to me something about white knuckles on 405. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:09 PM   #76

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you upgraded to a 21' then maybe they can install the bigger refer before the two halves are joined, like they do with the bathroom enclosure.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #77

The R8510 you want may go in sideways through the 22" doorway if you remove the refer door, hinges (I think they stick out) and the rear coils. Ask Novakool about this when you visit. I would be interested in what they have to say.
Old 10-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I would worry if the fridge had to be replaced. I guess you could take a chop saw to it and replace it with something smaller. I'm glad our build is down the road. By then this issue should be settled. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:24 PM   #79

Trailer: none
CR-110. 3.8CF, compressor frig with right dimensions. Right off the Dometic website.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic CR-110.pdf (108.9 KB, 12 views)
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #80

Trailer: none
Model CR-140. 4.8 CF compressor fridge. Just under 21" wide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic CR-140.pdf (109.8 KB, 22 views)
singletracker is offline   Reply With Quote