AC/DC Refrigerators - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2014, 06:57 AM   #121

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow,
Those are some neat units and the technology being used is unbelievable, with 12v air conditioning and lithium batteries and fuel cells in lieu of gas generators, amazing. Now explain to me why Aussies and Canadians do not exchange this technology in order to bring it to the North american continent??
Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 AM   #122

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow,
Those are some neat units and the technology being used is unbelievable, with 12v air conditioning and lithium batteries and fuel cells in lieu of gas generators, amazing. Now explain to me why Aussies and Canadians do not exchange this technology in order to bring it to the North american continent??
Hi: cpaharley2008... We don't have enough SUN!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM   #123

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
... A 12 Volt deep cycle battery has six cells that each output approximately 2.12-2.15 Volts. Generally, the the larger/heavier the lead plates in the cells are, the longer they will last, and the more deep cycle discharges/recharges they will take. The 6 Volt batteries have 3 cells instead of 6, even though their outer dimensions are roughly the same. Most 6 volts batteries therefore can use larger plates, and will last longer in a deep discharge/recharge situation - like an RV.
There isn't one (or any fixed number) of plates per cell, so dividing the plates in the box by the number of cells in the box doesn't say anything about the plate thickness. The plate thickness is chosen to suit the severity of service (as mentioned above), and is the same in any voltage of battery in the same product line. Fewer cells in the same size box just means more plates in a cell.

I should have said "6V or 12V doesn't matter to total capacity within batteries of the same construction". In fact, I did earlier...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... For the same total weight and bulk in the same range of batteries (same type and quality), it doesn't matter electrically whether they're split up in groups of three cells (6V) or of six cells (12V).

The usual problem is comparing apples (general-purpose batteries, most often 12V) with oranges (heavy-duty deep cycle batteries, very often 6V but availalble in 2V, 4V, 6V, 8V, and 12V). In practice, most 12V batteries sold for RVs are not the best heavy-duty designs, and the most readily available reasonably priced heavy-duty batteries are in 6V models.

Quote:
PS - it's also one of the reasons the 6 volt batteries are widely used in applications other than an RV where deep discharge and recharge occurs frequently - like a golf cart.
The standard equipment from most golf car manufacturers, according to online specs from them last year, an option is six 8-volt batteries, in series for a 48-volt system. For 1/3 more capacity, at the expense of 1/3 more weight of batteries, is eight 6-volt batteries for the same system voltage. Voltage doesn't matter - construction, total amount of lead, and being able to lift each box in the set are the determining factors. Since 6-volt batteries are common, and are usable in a 12-volt system (unlike 8-volt batteries), they are a good affordable choice for RVs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #124

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow,
The EFOY fuel cells - which are methanol-fueled - are available in Canada and the United States. I've seen them at RV shows here, carried by a ordinary RV dealerships. They're expensive to buy, and expensive and inconvenient to fuel, but they are interesting... and maybe a good match for a compressor-type refrigerator (because they have constant low output to match the round-the-clock demand of the refrigerator).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #125

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Used RM8551 available soon...

Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered a new 7.3 cuft Nova Kool RFU8520 DC compressor refrigerator for my 19' to go in where my RM8551 (4.3cuft) is currently installed. This new unit has a 5.7 cuft refrigerator and a 1.6 cuft freezer with two doors. It is wider and taller than the RM8551 unit and I will lose my microwave (no problem!) and will have to do a fair amount of fine woodworking to make the new cutout but I am good with this stuff. I will pick it up locally around the end of November and then start a new thread on the installation. When finished the old RM8551 will be available...:

Steve
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:19 PM   #126
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post

Well I pulled the trigger today and ordered a new 7.3 cuft Nova Kool RFU8520 DC compressor refrigerator for my 19' to go in where my RM8551 (4.3cuft) is currently installed. This new unit has a 5.7 cuft refrigerator and a 1.6 cuft freezer with two doors. It is wider and taller than the RM8551 unit and I will lose my microwave (no problem!) and will have to do a fair amount of fine woodworking to make the new cutout but I am good with this stuff. I will pick it up locally around the end of November and then start a new thread on the installation. When finished the old RM8551 will be available...:

Steve
Good to hear Steve. I'll be very interested in the fridge's actual duty cycle and power consumption, since we'll have the same solar and battery setup you have.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #127

Quote:
Good to hear Steve. I'll be very interested in the fridge's actual duty cycle and power consumption, since we'll have the same solar and battery setup you have.
I carry jumper cables...just in case!!..
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #128

Trailer: Escape
7.3 cuft Nova Kool RFU8520
Is this model number correct ? I cannot find this model on their web site.

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck
Old 10-09-2014, 09:45 AM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
7.3 cuft Nova Kool RFU8520
Is this model number correct ? I cannot find this model on their web site.

Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck
Sorry, RFU8320 not 8520.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #130

Trailer: Escape
Thank you for the correction. I admire your initiative !
Old 10-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #131

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
If Steve doesn't mind another question: Noise level? Not much space between the frig and the bed. (I take earplugs when camping. Would like to avoid that in my trailer.)

Thanks!
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:21 PM   #132

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
Sorry, RFU8320 not 8520.
Will it fit through the door?
Old 10-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
If Steve doesn't mind another question: Noise level? Not much space between the frig and the bed. (I take earplugs when camping. Would like to avoid that in my trailer.)

Thanks!
Alan
Hi Alan! I plan to heavily insulate the back cavity and sides of the refrigerator which should deaden a lot of the noise. I may further isolate the compressor mounting if it is a problem. What is nice is that I can run it on the bench before installation to watch and listen to it operate.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:49 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Will it fit through the door?
..21 3/4 deep through my 22" door opening...made it by 1/4"...
Old 10-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #135

Deleted
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #136

Quote:
Check the spec sheet again

Looks like the

The RFU 6200/6800 is 20 1/4"
The RFU 8320 is 23 1/4"
...read it again..23 1/4 wide and 21 3/4 deep...it will go in sideways..
Old 10-09-2014, 01:25 PM   #137

yelp saw that and had already deleted the post.

Your opening must be different then mine. 23 1/2 would not fit between my bed and closet wall without talking all the framing out. Will be interested to see how it turns out. Take lots of pictures.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #138

Quote:
yelp saw that and had already deleted the post.

Your opening must be different then mine. 23 1/2 would not fit between my bed and closet wall without talking all the framing out. Will be interested to see how it turns out. Take lots of pictures.
This will involve some major surgery on the enclosure which I am equipped for and have experience doing fine woodworking. There is a lot of unused space in the wall between the 4.3 unit and the bed. I will grab all the room I can there. The microwave space will be used but the refrigerator is slightly shorter than the top of that space so the top gap will be finish trimmed. If the left wall of the closet needs to move a little..no problem but I don't think it will.. The framing will be just a strong but much thinner when I'm finished.

The two most important goals of mine besides doing a nice installation;
1. Heavily insulating the venting space behind the refrigerator with polyisocyanurate insulating board and adding really quiet, low power fans to move air though that space, maybe mounted on the backside of the lover vent cover. We'll see. This will insulate the venting area well and reduce noise significantly. One really nice aspect of this model refrigerator is that the DC compressor unit will be directly behind the lower vent cover, readily accessible.
2. I will install wiring to the refrigerator that will be heavily oversized to minimize voltage drop and a watt/amp/hours totaling meter will put in the 12 volt line to monitor hours of operation and watts and amps consumed over time.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #139

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Re: major surgery... will be watching with great interest.
PS: using tool pictured here best avoided
Attached Thumbnails
Stihl.jpg  
Old 10-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Re: major surgery... will be watching with great interest.
PS: using tool pictured here best avoided
I've got a carbide chain in mine for demo work....maybe for the old refer!...