Adding 12v outlet - are we missing something??? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
If I was going to run a CPAP machine (or anything else that draws more than an amp or two) I'd make a new home run to the converter and put it on its own circuit.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Fran and Dave, are you sure that the plug on your CPAP machine is seating properly in the 12V socket. I have come across this several times where they just don't mate properly. Quality control on 12V sockets seems to be lacking although one would think the plug quality on a CPAP machine would be high. Forgive me if this is aready been mentioned.
Good luck.

GerriJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #33

Trailer: 2008 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If I was going to run a CPAP machine (or anything else that draws more than an amp or two) I'd make a new home run to the converter and put it on its own circuit.
Indeed...that's the best route but how in the heck do you get the wiring from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer without hanging exposed wiring from the walls/ceiling?!?!
Sandia Park, New Mexico
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerriJ View Post
Fran and Dave, are you sure that the plug on your CPAP machine is seating properly in the 12V socket. I have come across this several times where they just don't mate properly. Quality control on 12V sockets seems to be lacking although one would think the plug quality on a CPAP machine would be high. Forgive me if this is aready been mentioned.
Good luck.
Don't apologize...all suggestions/comments welcome! In this case, on one of the CPAP machines, we were able to get an indicator light on the CPAP transformer (?) but apparently not enough juice to actually turn the CPAP on....and the fit seemed ok and we repositioned it and jiggled it around to see if there was a problem with the fit. Perhaps there is a minimum voltage required before the machine can fire up...
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Old 08-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Indeed...that's the best route but how in the heck do you get the wiring from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer without hanging exposed wiring from the walls/ceiling?!?!
If you peruse the "It's Friday" thread you'll probably find build pictures of a 5 that show the wiring & plumbing routes before the interior was finished off. I also checked when at ETI and found the padded corners are easily removable - that's where they run the wiring up and down between the ceiling/upper cabinets and the floor.
Another thought might be to tie into the 12V supply at the fridge, since it's set up for heavier current - if you're not using 12V for the fridge cooling and the CPAP at the same time you should be ok.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:09 PM   #36

Trailer: ?
Maybe you can take power from the landing gear circuit - shouldn't be running it while sleeping and it should be a heavier wire.

From the driver side dinette I think you can get to the space beneath the fridge. And from there the back of the bathroom. (On my 19 it was pretty easy to get a wire behind the bath - use a thin piece of lath or a stiff wire or a thin fiberglass rod.) I do not know about getting by/through the closet next to bath.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
If you peruse the "It's Friday" thread you'll probably find build pictures of a 5 that show the wiring & plumbing routes before the interior was finished off. I also checked when at ETI and found the padded corners are easily removable - that's where they run the wiring up and down between the ceiling/upper cabinets and the floor.
Another thought might be to tie into the 12V supply at the fridge, since it's set up for heavier current - if you're not using 12V for the fridge cooling and the CPAP at the same time you should be ok.
Would there be a heavier (or any) 12v going to the fridge if our fridge is only a 2 way - propane + 110 ? (Sorry if that's a dumb question...)
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Old 08-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Maybe you can take power from the landing gear circuit - shouldn't be running it while sleeping and it should be a heavier wire.

From the driver side dinette I think you can get to the space beneath the fridge. And from there the back of the bathroom. (On my 19 it was pretty easy to get a wire behind the bath - use a thin piece of lath or a stiff wire or a thin fiberglass rod.) I do not know about getting by/through the closet next to bath.
On our 5.0 Classic the drivers side (from loft back to the dinette) goes: loft then clothes closet then bathroom then stove & sink then dinette. We'll have to search around and see if there is any way to get to the landing gear wiring...you are right, there should not be any circumstance where we are running the CPAPs AND the landing gear
Sandia Park, New Mexico
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 PM   #39

Trailer: ?
A 110/LP only fridge does not need much in the way of 12V - just control board power. (But ETI may wire them all the same so you might have heavier wiring.) You should be able to see the wires via the lower fridge vent.

Guess I messed up the layout. I would still try to run a new circuit. Look at older build pics as tractors suggested.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMLNM View Post
Go down through the floor, follow the frame and come up where you need it.

I've done this for my hard wired rear view camera etc. Put the wire in the split corrugated plastic wire cover sold for such purposes and zap strap it up out of the way.

A continuous wire is always better than ones with several connections, especially for medical devices.

Ron

Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote