Adding a TV charging wire - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2018, 03:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Adding a TV charging wire

I'm going to add an 8ga wire to the TV to improve the charging of our TT batteries whilst we drive. What is the best or preferred place to take the power source from? The voltage regulator, off the positive of the TV battery, or ?? I will also include a 30 amp breaker or fuse and upgrade the ground to an 8ga too. With additional thought I should probably isolate this new charge wire from the TV battery and source it someplace that is ignition switched? Thoughts, suggestions, experience and expertise will be appreciated.
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:48 PM   #2

When I did it I went right off of the battery with a dedicated fuse, wire, and solenoid that attached to the firewall. I ran the wire internally as much as humanly possible and even used wire loom. Good luck !
Old 06-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
When I did it I went right off of the battery with a dedicated fuse, wire, and solenoid that attached to the firewall. I ran the wire internally as much as humanly possible and even used wire loom. Good luck !

I went right off the battery with a dedicated fuse, wire loom and then followed the truck rails to the back.

Good luck!
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I went right off the battery with a dedicated fuse, wire loom and then followed the truck rails to the back.

Good luck!
So did I. But I added a toggle switch at the battery so I could turn it off manually. Some have added a relay so that it can be switched on from the cab. But I don't use mine enough to bother doing that. Mine's a "just in case" installation. In the unlikely event that solar can't top up the batteries and they're down, I'd use it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote