Adding remote digital thermostat - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 01:54 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Adding remote digital thermostat

My used 2017, 19' had the A/C added at the factory after the unit was built. The thermostat is self-contained in the A/C unit. Has anyone made the modification to add a remote digital thermostat? If so, how difficult was it? Any help would be appreciated.
JDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMan View Post
My used 2017, 19' had the A/C added at the factory after the unit was built. The thermostat is self-contained in the A/C unit. Has anyone made the modification to add a remote digital thermostat? If so, how difficult was it? Any help would be appreciated.
that would depend on the model air conditioner and whether it has any provision for a remote or at least external thermostat.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMan View Post
I did a mode on my previous Casita where we tied the rooftop AC into aftermarket Digital thermostat. Required a relay to be installed where Air-conditioner gets 120v power source to AC side of relay and 12v side run to digital thermostat and small 12v SPST switch to separate Heat and AC functions at the thermostat.

Not sure if the mode has been discussed here as I have not seen such, but you can find the mod discussed and how too on Casita Forums.

Two benefits of the mode, Digital thermostat controls the AC so you have less temp swing. Also when desired temp is reach the whole AC unit turns off including the fan. When air is needed, the unit will turn on automatically.

This was also time when Casita only had analog thermostats
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:58 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I too did the digital thermostat mod on 2014 SD Casita. In the Escape 19, I don't want to damage in insulation trying to connect with wall mount thermostat. Dometic has told me that there is no wireless remote thermostat available for my unit, only wall mount. Appreciate previous responses.
JDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember when ETI offered the smaller 9200 Penguin model and then started to offer the digital Dometic thermostat on the larger units. Reace said it only works on the larger Dometic models as it needed a specific Dometic shroud. So now all the Dometics are digital and all are11,000 btus.