Adhesive Backsplash - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Adhesive Backsplash

Has anyone applied the adhesive backsplash tiles in their Escape. I wonder if they can be put on the vinyl wall behind the stove and sink and then later removed. It seems like it might add a nice personalization to the interior although it wouldn't be worth it if it caused damage or couldn't be removed at a future date. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
See here where this was done (Post #144): http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...e-9098-15.html

I don't know about removing the tiles without damage as I don't know that it's been attempted.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Thanks for the info. Now i will have to investigate if it is removable. It does add a nice touch though.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I bought a box of the smart tiles in order to do the backsplash ala Laura but I haven't made time to do it yet. I do have a question for those that have done it. I noticed the vinyl lining stands a bit proud of the window frame as the frame compresses the vinyl. The tiles seem to be quite flexible but I'm wondering if additional adhesive is required to hold them snugly to the vinyl where the vinyl curves down to the window frame.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:40 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Yep, that curve is a bitch to work with. I didn't get it exactly right and I can see where the problems are, but everyone else looking at it "claims" they don't see it.

You are able to push the vinyl in a bit and I'd strongly (as in MUST do this) advise you to trim your vinyl a bit larger so you can smoosh it under the frame. As well as under the edges of the walls and countertop.

Again, I didn't do that, so I had to cut tiny little pieces out to fill in those gaps. What a major PITA that was! It would be easier to cut it a bit larger and trim down if need be. Some of those extra little bits have come up so I just stuck some Gorilla Glue on 'em to keep them in place.

I haven't yanked it off, so can't say anything about damaging the vinyl. But if I ever took it off, it would be because the little oopsies bothered me enough that I had to redo it without 'em. After seeing that backsplash for over a year, I could not have just the blank wall in there again. It would have to be replaced with either the same or another design.

I've included a photo of it to refresh everyone's minds on how it looks. We love it! And so does everyone else that's viewed the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04904.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Yep, that curve is a bitch to work with. I didn't get it exactly right and I can see where the problems are, but everyone else looking at it "claims" they don't see it.

You are able to push the vinyl in a bit and I'd strongly (as in MUST do this) advise you to trim your vinyl a bit larger so you can smoosh it under the frame. As well as under the edges of the walls and countertop.

Again, I didn't do that, so I had to cut tiny little pieces out to fill in those gaps. What a major PITA that was! It would be easier to cut it a bit larger and trim down if need be. Some of those extra little bits have come up so I just stuck some Gorilla Glue on 'em to keep them in place.

I haven't yanked it off, so can't say anything about damaging the vinyl. But if I ever took it off, it would be because the little oopsies bothered me enough that I had to redo it without 'em. After seeing that backsplash for over a year, I could not have just the blank wall in there again. It would have to be replaced with either the same or another design.

I've included a photo of it to refresh everyone's minds on how it looks. We love it! And so does everyone else that's viewed the trailer.
Thank you. Your hints will be very helpful when I install mine. Other than the small edge gaps does the rest seem to still be holding onto the vinyl wall? Thanks ... Bill
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Also see my thread here:
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...lash-9218.html

My number one tip is to pick a pattern that can be lined up square with the counter top lip or trim your pattern so that it is square so you avoid the headaches and little pieces that Laura had. Also don't go cheap on the material as there are several knock off brands. I got the premium Smart Tiles and the install has remained flawless.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Thanks for the info. Now i will have to investigate if it is removable. It does add a nice touch though.
Yes, you can remove it without damage (at least with the Smart Tile brand I used).
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #9

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Thank you. Your hints will be very helpful when I install mine. Other than the small edge gaps does the rest seem to still be holding onto the vinyl wall? Thanks ... Bill
Yep, it's all staying on there just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
My number one tip is to pick a pattern that can be lined up square with the counter top lip or trim your pattern so that it is square so you avoid the headaches and little pieces that Laura had. Also don't go cheap on the material as there are several knock off brands. I got the premium Smart Tiles and the install has remained flawless.
Yep, very true. I was thinking that when I typed my first reply, but forgot to include that info. Mine has curved edges, so there was a gap between the pattern and the edges of the wall/top of counter. So, yeah, had to add little bits in those areas. If I replace it, I'll go with rectangles or some such that are even along the edge. If you pick up a sheet of this stuff, you'll know what we mean.

I'd also suggest starting on the right side, above the stove top first. In that area you can put in an entire sheet without cutting it and you can get used to applying it. I started on the tricky, left side.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
the Smart Tile brand
Ack! They have some new patterns/colors! Ack! Dang.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Ack! They have some new patterns/colors! Ack! Dang.
Yes they do! https://www.thesmarttiles.com/en_us/tiles/

Interestingly, my pattern, Milano Sasso that I found at Home Depot has never been on their site.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
We are installing Aspect Square Metal Decorative Brushed Stainless Tile from Home Depot https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aspect-S...4-50/203601363 for a backsplash in our 5.0TA. The directions say the tiles are removable with a heat gun or hairdryer but the wall may be damaged. I figure we would do something different with the wall if we take off the tiles someday.

We are running the tiles right up to the sides of the window and are using VHB double sided foam tape along that edge --trimmed to fit in the frame trough around the window.

Z
Old 01-09-2018, 10:32 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One could probably fashion an 1/8” backer board over the vinyl and then adhere the tiles to it. Nothing would risk damage if it were to be removed later.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahuta View Post
We are installing Aspect Square Metal Decorative Brushed Stainless Tile from Home Depot

Stunning!
Old 01-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
One could probably fashion an 1/8” backer board over the vinyl and then adhere the tiles to it. Nothing would risk damage if it were to be removed later.
Or simpler is cut a piece of the Formica undo the screws and caps , place the Formica about 1/4 in behind ledge and the other behind the Vent . Screw back in , replace caps , done . Protects the vinyl wall behind stove , no damage if you want to remove . Ours has not moved and been in place 3 years now . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That's a very interesting idea! Can you share a picture of your installation? Did you order extra formica? How did you cut the formica? I've been trying to think of something to function like this, and had only come up with maybe using the sheet plastic that's used in florescent light boxes.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
That's a very interesting idea! Can you share a picture of your installation? Did you order extra formica? How did you cut the formica? I've been trying to think of something to function like this, and had only come up with maybe using the sheet plastic that's used in florescent light boxes.
Hi I will get you a couple pictures tomorrow. Yes I did get extra Formica but you could use something that would go with your Formica also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think I would wait until something does damage the backsplash and then start changing things, it is possible you may never need a backsplash.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think I would wait until something does damage the backsplash and then start changing things, it is possible you may never need a backsplash.
There's the decorative aspect. Not everyone likes that off-white wall back there and we want something different.

If you order custom Formica for your trailer, you will get the leftover section(s) that they don't use for the counter and flip up tables/counters. We used our extra for the frig, which was suggested by someone on this forum. Popped off the lip area on the doors, removed the panel that was there originally and carefully put these in. The one for the frig section (freezer section was easier) was almost too long to curve enough to fit in the door without cracking, so you have to be really careful. Or take the door off, I guess. Here's a photo:
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05358.jpg  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Or simpler is cut a piece of the Formica undo the screws and caps , place the Formica about 1/4 in behind ledge and the other behind the Vent . Screw back in , replace caps , done . Protects the vinyl wall behind stove , no damage if you want to remove . Ours has not moved and been in place 3 years now . Pat
And it looks very nice in person!