Adjusting Brakes - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2015, 07:08 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've never used boost.
And, I've never had an issue with the brakes when backing up.
Maybe I just never noticed cause I was too busy yelling at my wife that I need to be able to see her in the mirrors for her to be any help.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've never used boost.
And, I've never had an issue with the brakes when backing up.
Maybe I just never noticed cause I was too busy yelling at my wife that I need to be able to see her in the mirrors for her to be any help.
Now that's a get-in-the-doghouse statement if she reads this forum if I ever heard one!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You think? Does your "wifey" read the forum?
Old 09-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
PG Driver & Tonny LR:
I'm hoping you guys can clear up some confusion for me. Your posts include the warning against lifting or supporting the trailer on any part of the axle or the suspension system. I've heard this caution from several sources. I just looked at ETI's on-line owner's manual under adjusting brakes, and it says the jack stand should be placed under the axle (page 22). I'm confused! Thanks for your help.
Dave
Dave & Penny Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Free wheeling

When I work on the 19, I pull one side up on a 2 by 10 about 4 feet long.I stop when the front wheel is on the board and the rear wheel is in the air about an inch and a half off the ground. Then I chock the other set of tandems. I adjust that brake or pack that set of bearings whatever the project is. Then I pull the chocks and pull ahead until the front wheel is in the air and the recently serviced
one is on the board. Lather, rinse and repeat. Not the fastest way to do it but eliminates worrying about jack stands, jacks and axle damage.
I am slow but effective and retired, so I do have all day and tomorrow. It's part of the recreation to me. Sad but true. I also love to mow grass. Go figure
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 11:16 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave & Penny Smith View Post
PG Driver & Tonny LR:
I'm hoping you guys can clear up some confusion for me. Your posts include the warning against lifting or supporting the trailer on any part of the axle or the suspension system. I've heard this caution from several sources. I just looked at ETI's on-line owner's manual under adjusting brakes, and it says the jack stand should be placed under the axle (page 22). I'm confused! Thanks for your help.
Dave
This is easier with a ramp-jack for a dual axle trailer:

Camco Trailer Aid, Yellow - Walmart.com

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I also love to mow grass. Go figure
Dave
I hate mowing grass (allergic) so when I remarried a woman who LOVES to mow grass I got her a zero-turn riding mower. Smiles like a 10 year old on a go-kart while mowing!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 09-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
I have attempted to locate the brake adjusting slots but I am not able to identify the slots. There are two 1" oblong holes at 6 and 7 o'clock and two small round holes (1/2" diameter and other is smaller) at 11 o'clock. I looked through the oblong opening with a flashlite and saw a spring & 3-4" nut & bolt above the spring - no adjusting wheel identified and unable to feel contact when brake adjusting tool inserted. I was not able to look or feel the small round holes because of the location. Please advise. Thanks
Photos atached (2)
Attached Thumbnails
Brake adjusting 1.jpg   Brake adjusting 2.JPG  
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:06 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Mine looks like this. Sorry it's not a better picture. It's the oblong holes, definitely, and on my left rear wheel, the adjusting "wheel" is accessed through the rightmost hole (toward the front of the trailer). It doesn't look so much like a wheel as it does a long cylinder (bolt? threaded in places) with bumps on it. You grab the edge of a bump with your brake tool or screwdriver and use the edge of the oblong hole to lever the bump up or down, thereby (slowly) turning the cylinder.

Don't know if this helps, but I'm trying.... you can see the edge of one of the bumps right in the center of the rightmost hole in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
P1030286.JPG  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:11 AM   #30

This pic might help. It's what things look like behind those oblong holes.
Attached Thumbnails
9-6-2015 8-09-15 AM.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape
Go to the top of the forum page and select Files. Then select Manuals and then Dexter axle service manual. You might want to read the manual. On page 5 you will see a picture of the brake assembly. At the bottom of the assembly the star wheel on the left bottom is the adjuster you need to turn. The star adjuster is below the oval openings stamped in the bottom of the backing plate. The star adjuster is retained by friction from the bottom spring. The adjuster may be in the front slot or rear slot depending on how the axle was installed. Rotate the star wheel to determine the direction necessary for extending and retracting the adjuster.Since the Dexter axles do not have plugs installed by ETI in the adjustments slots buy some at you local auto parts store. The bumps referred to earlier are teeth on the star wheel.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 10:31 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Mine looks like this. Sorry it's not a better picture. It's the oblong holes, definitely, and on my left rear wheel, the adjusting "wheel" is accessed through the rightmost hole (toward the front of the trailer). It doesn't look so much like a wheel as it does a long cylinder (bolt? threaded in places) with bumps on it. You grab the edge of a bump with your brake tool or screwdriver and use the edge of the oblong hole to lever the bump up or down, thereby (slowly) turning the cylinder.

Don't know if this helps, but I'm trying.... you can see the edge of one of the bumps right in the center of the rightmost hole in the pic.
Hello drpaddle,
Thank you for taking time to help me out. The pictures are excellent. The second pic shows me what to look and feel for. Will get on the job and report back.

Tonny Yeung
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #33

Hello Jubal,
Thank you for pointing me to the Dexter axle mannual. I will definite check it out. I appreciated your help.

Tonny Yeung
Old 09-06-2015, 11:03 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Since the Dexter axles do not have plugs installed by ETI in the adjustments slots buy some at you local auto parts store. The bumps referred to earlier are teeth on the star wheel.
Geez, by the time I've finished my Sunday morning coffee you guys have already dished out some excellent advice. Probably helpful to others also. It's one of things that if you've never done it before you're kind of hesitant to do. But, once you've done it once and see how easy it is, you don't think about paying someone to do it for you.

I was surprised by the no plugs situation. Seems kind of shoddy to me not to provide them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #35

I was surprised, too, not to find plugs (I bought some from eTrailer). I asked Reace about it and he said Dexter used to supply plugs with the brake kits but stopped doing so a while back. I bought some just to limit the amount of road gunk that could get in there and gum things up.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #36

I too am a big believer in the dust plugs. Got to help I would think. I have them on the 2010, whether they were still standard then or an aftermarket install by AZJack. Used to sell them in the gas station. They were on a piece of hard cardboard and cost about a dime back in the day. Course a candy bar was a nickel then too. Pictures and info is excellent. Listen for the sproing , you can do it!
Dave
Old 09-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #37

Reporting back on brake adjusting.
Bingo! I did it by following the posted instructions. It was not hard. I did not adjust it too tight, still can hear the light rubbing sound. drpaddle's photo showing the adjusting wheel was most helpful. Of course, I could not find it first without his photo because I did not know what it looked like. Jubal 's suggestion to check with Dexter Axle Serviceanual was also very valuable info. I am so grateful to the forum member's help that I mastered one of the essential skills to maintain the the trailer as an owner. Being in health care all my life, I know very little about auto mechanics. It takes a TEAM (Together Everyone Achieves More). Thanks again for everyone 's help.

Tonny LR
Old 09-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #38

It takes a village to raise a camper
Old 09-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I am so grateful to the forum member's help that I mastered one of the essential skills to maintain the trailer as an owner.
Tonny LR
Actually there is one other situation where it's handy to be able to adjust them. One my last trip one wheel started locking up on loose gravel. Backed it off a couple of clicks, perfect, and hasn't needed adjusting since.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #40

Smile

Ron,
Thanks for sharing how to unlock brakes. This is a very important info for the newbies in the forum.

Tonny LR