Adjusting Dometic Electric Awning - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Yes my front was out about 1" as was the rear, both now flush. I notice the front has an extra large washer?

Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Reace suggested a star type lock washer under the nut. When I was working on ours, I also noticed that the washer under the nut was not biting well on one side of the track it slides in. I made a custom washer to remedy that.

I had talked with Dometic about it not closing fully on each end and they told me to take it to a local RV place that is an authorized dealer. They looked at it and said that some are just like that and did nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0460.jpg (175.3 KB, 56 views)

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #23

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
We've fiddled with this adjustment at least 8 times and it's still not closing properly. Had to take a lunch break. So frustrating.

I've also tried reprogramming the remote/motor/awning and it's not working properly either. Following instructions in the awning manual. Fabric is still not tight.

Very frustrated right now.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
As far as adjusting the motor. Remember I said it would be frustrating. You need to slightly over shoot the adjustment. When you save the setting it moves in which means the fabric droops. Of course when you go a bit further out it also droops. So go a little further and hopefully you will hit the sweet spot.
Also do not try adjusting the motor until you get both sides where they go in equally. You have to have that right or you will never get both sides of the fabric the same.
wetzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #25

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
As far as adjusting the motor. Remember I said it would be frustrating. You need to slightly over shoot the adjustment. When you save the setting it moves in which means the fabric droops. Of course when you go a bit further out it also droops. So go a little further and hopefully you will hit the sweet spot.
Also do not try adjusting the motor until you get both sides where they go in equally. You have to have that right or you will never get both sides of the fabric the same.
Ah, okay.

Anyway, just sent an email to Reace asking if I can bring the trailer up there to adjust the awning. We've spent over 2 hours today trying to adjust it. It'll get off in the back. Then it's correct in the back. Then it's off again in the back. Then it clanks when it shuts. Meanwhile the front is never closer than before in getting closed. Many times it was farther out. Right now it's back to how it was when this all started, with the front end out about an inch and the back/middle areas snugged up.

Dirk is afraid of stripping the screws. Not good. So, we'll see what Reace says.

I've been wanting to camp on Whidbey Island, so I guess this will be a good excuse to do so in the very near future.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:30 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Being so close, that would be my decision to have Escape work on it.
Old 10-07-2017, 08:04 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Being so close, that would be my decision to have Escape work on it.
Reace knows way more than two different Dometic service providers I have talked with about adjusting these awnings...

And Reace knows more than the phone support people at Dometic that one of those guys talked with.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I wish we could go to the source for issues.
While you are there ask him if a star washer would stop movement of the arms
Before I take that step and loosen the bolt I want to make sure it's worth it. And does he have an idea of what would be a good torque setting for them?
wetzk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I wish we could go to the source for issues.
While you are there ask him if a star washer would stop movement of the arms
Before I take that step and loosen the bolt I want to make sure it's worth it. And does he have an idea of what would be a good torque setting for them?
I'll ask! I was waiting to hear back from them and did this afternoon. Going up there later this week to get it fixed. I want to take photos of what all he's doing so we'll know what to do in the future. Or at least do it properly. Or whatever.

We're still frustrated by it all.

Will report back when I get home.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018 on order
Maybe a video instead of photos?

Honda Pilot 2011
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote