Advantages of 12V when you have an inverter? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I specifically inserted the word "hot" to see if you missed it, I love frozen drinks, just not in the winter.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #42

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't think using high-power appliances when the power is available means you can't choose to camp without them at other times... so going without a high-power inverter just means not being able to use specific appliances when away from shore power.

The what-needs-an-inverter question is mostly about power. Anything run with an inverter could be built in a version which would run on 12V DC, but there is little demand for high-power 12V DC appliances (because so few people have enough 12V energy available), so the only practical way in most cases is to get the available 120V AC version and use an inverter. For example, 12V hair dryers usually run only 150 watts, and there's only one or two 12V microwave ovens available... and they're expensive while not having very much power.

Margaritas, on the other hand, just need a blender... and you can get that with a gas engine (TailGator :: The Original Portable Gas-Powered Blender!, The Daiquiri Whacker Gas Powered Portable Blender)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 01:51 PM   #43

Personally, I want "more power"
Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #44

Trailer: 19' - Oct 2o15
Where did you add 12v outlets ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is exactly what I did, other than the air conditioning, I'm all 12volt. I had 5 extra installed during the build and ended up adding a 7th myself. I'm now wired for 12v bed heat pad for those overnight stays in rest areas. It shuts off in one hour.

Please - where did you add the extra 12v outlets ?
And for what device(s) ?

Thank You for your ideas. uw
OWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
On my 19, I put one each on the front cabinets driver and passenger sides, facing the open tray. I put one with the 110 outlet under the folding kitchen counter piece, one on the driver side with the 110 outlet over the bed in the rear, one near the 110 outlet under the refrigerator, and a weatherproof 12v outside near that 110 outlet. I use them for cell phones, iPads, a 12 volt fan I take along from time to time. I like the convenience of having several. The outside outlet can be used for an air pump for the tires should the need ever arise.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWilly View Post
Please - where did you add the extra 12v outlets ?
And for what device(s) ?

Thank You for your ideas. uw
One each in the rear over head, one each in the rear lower dinette, one over the bed, one over the night stand, one under the bed- 7 total. I have 2 x 12v televisions plugged in, one 12v Bushnell weather forecaster plugged in, one weather radio plugged in, one 12v flashlight plugged in. This leaves me 2 for computers and cell phone charging or 12v blanket use.
Old 12-19-2014, 07:54 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I added a 12V next to the rear awning mount and had the 110V relocated next to it on my 21; now wifey can run whatever awnings lights she desires. Also for a 12V compressor if I need it; cord will reach both sides.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:07 PM   #48

I plan on doing the same Charlie, in order to have access from the outside to the battery compartment.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #49

Trailer: Working on my build list
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Has anyone used one of the 12 volt crockpots on the market? I think it would be nice to find a small crockpot that could fit in side the sink and be plugged into the 12volt circuit while driving. That way there could be hot stew or a roast ready when you arrive in camp.

As I recall, there was once a cookbook for making recipes that cooked a meal on one's exhaust manifold. But in the newer models, it is hard to find the exhaust manifold. I am sure it is there, somewhere under the big plastic cover I see when I open the hood. And the quality of the roadkill just isn't what it used to be. So a crockpot is the next best alternative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... Here's an easy solution. Add some Johnsonville Brats to a wide mouth thermos leaving a bit of space. Fill with boiling water, seal, and place it in the sink. Ready to eat when you are!!! Pass the mustard and relish. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
You can cook a lot of stuff that will work in a crockpot in a thermos. The trick is to preheat the thermos and to bring to a boil the stuff you plan on cooking before you add it to the thermos. That way you will have enough residual heat to do the job. Something like a stew may need to be precooked a bit more. Take it to where the recipe calls for it to start simmering and then put it in the thermos.

A thermal cooker also works the same way except you do the initial boil in the cooker then slide it into its insulating jacket.

Either way, no electricity needed while it finishes cooking.

A good article on thermos cooking is at Thermos Cooking. Search on "Thermal Cooker" for lots of information on them.
WestEnder is offline   Reply With Quote