Advice from the cooks out there1 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Re: Advice from the cooks out there1

Hi there...I read through your post and saw that no one has mentioned that the new 19s come with a 4.3 cubic foot fridge, not the 5 as the older trailers did. It is a smaller fridge but you have the option of removing the freezer if you don't use it. We are a family of four so we opted to get the larger 6.7 cubic foot fridge for an upgrade charge of $200.

Have fun with all your decisions!!

Lisa & Family
Underwood, WA
Escape 19 due December 21
FamilyFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th

We were one of if not the first with the 6.7 fridge, we got our 19 ft in august. As a family of three we can easily go for a week trip and have plenty of space in the fridge. It is huge. I am sure you will love it, we did loose the storage above it but so far have not found storage a issue, there seems tobe lots of space.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 15A

Hi, I have the 15' and do most of my cooking outside on the fire or barbecue and a Coleman stove on the picnic table.I burned bacon one time in a camper I had at the time and wow never did get rid of the smell,so now as much as possible ,I'm cooking outside.I use the two burner stove inside maybe to make morning percolated coffee and to heat some water to wash.I don't have a microwave and don't miss it.I have a small oven that works on top of the propane stove burner and have made biscuits for breakfast and cookies in it.I make blueberry cobbler on top of the burner on very low heat,will have to try apple crisp ,sounds yummy.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014

This thread has been very useful because I've been trying to figure out how many burners we'll need and whether we need an oven. When we had our airstream I almost never used the oven and I cooked outside every chance I got. However, that was a while ago. Reading the posts reminded me that I love to be outside most of the time and also that I don't want to have to spend time inside the trailer cleaning an oven. That said, if I didn't enjoy cooking outdoors and I wanted my own baked goods (or roasted chicken) I'd opt for the oven.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

I roast chicken on my Weber Baby Q.

Cut a whole chicken in half and put it on the grill with the breast up, inside down. Grill on low for 1 hr.

That's all. Other than the spice rub of your choice.

baglo
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There are 2 reasons why cooking in an rv oven does not appeal to me. One is the extra casseroles and pans means more use of grey water to clean and tow, the extra weight involved in carrying these items.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
We don't have an oven in our 19'. We like to use our Dutch oven outside with briquettes when camping. It's quite versatile and since Bruce likes using it I can actually get him to cook. Everything from curry stews, pot roasts, cinnamon rolls and pineapple upside down cake have been made in our Dutch oven.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is what camping is about, cooking over a fire, not inside with an oven like what you have at home, IMHO. Course I do not use my over at home either as I'm not a baker but I do cook.
I went with the smaller 3.5' 3 way refer for a larger pantry. This size is adequate for a week of food. Can beer/soda is kept in a small cooler. I also recommend the 2 burner stove top for more counter space and turn it sideways, I made the mistake of getting the 3 burner and would not do that again.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:00 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Smile

Mmmmm curry Mmmmmmmmmmm cinnamon rolls Mmmmmmmmmmm

Just to add an alternative viewpoint:
We love our 3 burner stove and used all 3 burners at the same time on several occasions during our 1 month maiden voyage in October. The two smaller burners fit the griddle while the larger one boils the water or toasts the toast. Two burners would work but I liked the luxury of the 3 and never felt the lack of counter space - just used the space we have "creatively."

I still occasionally wonder if we should have got the oven because I bake a lot at home, but didn't want to compromise the storage area in the galley. So far I'm ok with that decision; we brought along a Coleman oven that we didn't use once and it won't come with us again. I like the idea of developing one-pot stovetop meals.

We found that the 4.3 fridge (now standard in the 19) was more than big enough for the two of us.

Another alternative viewpoint:
We don't necessarily think of being in the trailer as "camping." We aptly named our Escape "The Cottage" and like just hanging out in it. I personally don't like eating or cooking outdoors (a little odd maybe - just me.) Our weekend trip on the Island in the rain raised some condensation issues for us what with being/cooking inside, but we're figuring it out (ventilation +++)

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #30

Decision Made!

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts on how you cook in your Escape. I have finally decided that the oven is a must. Looking through some of my favorite recipes - I find that a lot of them involve an oven. And... living in the Northwest - cooking outside isn't always a pleasant pasttime. Being able to cook inside when the rain starts coming down is part of the reason that we are getting the trailer! So... we are headed to the Oregon gathering - stop by for some fresh baked cookies or pies. We can't wait to pick up our baby and take our maiden voyage!
greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use the oven in my sticks and bricks home as a cabinet to store some cookware, etc. just because it's in a trailer doesn't mean the space has to go unused.

Greenbean, see you in July.... ummmmm fresh baked cookies!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:29 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have a 17, and do most of my cooking outside on a Coleman combined 1 burner stove & grill. I also carry a Crusinart toaster oven (a TOB155). This is large enough to cook a 12" pizza, roast a chicken; I even have cooked pies in it. While I can only use it when I have hookups, it does provide the equivalent of a built in oven with the advantage that you can use it outdoors & avoid heating up the trailer.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:06 PM   #33
MB

Trailer: None
Congrats on your new trailer.
We are at this point dreaming of getting one.
About cooking and oven it depend of the type of cooking you like to do.

For us in our Bigfoot we removed the oven put in a two shelves and extended the conter with a cutting board. We also put in a quick connect for gaz on the conter.
For cooking we use a induction plate and a gaz stove, that can both be used inside and outside (quick connect for gaz outside to) We also have for outside our little wood BBQ.
If our dream comes thru and we do get the Escape... We would order ours with out the hood and the gaz burner. Instead of the burner we would extended the conter
and order a quick connect.
A other point of view

Click image for larger version

Name:	phpq6VEaoAM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	2062

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2063

Name:	IMG_1055.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	2064
MB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape "Bess" 19' Sept. 2013
For those who have eliminated the stove hood (I find the fans to be useless and noisy) do you lack light in that area since the hood usually has a light also?
escape13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 15B
In our 15b we eliminated the range hood and replaced it with two lights--one over the sink and one over the burners. Plenty of light.
JimJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:14 AM   #36

Trailer: 2012 15-A
In our 15 A, sans the range hood, we also have two lights, one above the sink and the other above the stove. We also installed the optional opening window above the sink which allows the natural light in!

Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote