Aerospace 303: help? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2014, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Aerospace 303: help?

OK, I'm convinced 303 is the UV protect any I want to start using but I'm finding two products and can't tell the difference. Looks like all "303's" are not created equal. Which one is used most, 30313 with the white label or 30350 with the dark blue label? The later is a couple bucks more expensive.

On the subject, anybody also use their spray cleaner or detailer?

Thanks,
Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
They changed the labels recently. It almost looks like the numbers after 303 have something to do with size of the container -- at least it looks like that on Amazon? The fabric version is a different formula, but I THINK all the "regular" 303's are the same.

I use it on anything not fiberglass on trailer. I wanted to use it on the trailer itself, but I wrote to them and they said since I had already used wax on it that I would have to remove the wax or wait for it all to wear off, or the 303 wouldn't penetrate it.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Good to know about starting with a "virgin" trailer surface. The website I was looking to use had both bottles shown in 32oz. That's what caused me to hold off. I have plenty of armorall and tire shine stuff, don't need another half gallon. After 18 months, even stored inside, I've noticed the graphics starting to dull a little and want to get on it now.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggo View Post
OK, I'm convinced 303 is the UV protect any I want to start using but I'm finding two products and can't tell the difference. Looks like all "303's" are not created equal. Which one is used most, 30313 with the white label or 30350 with the dark blue label? The later is a couple bucks more expensive.

On the subject, anybody also use their spray cleaner or detailer?

Thanks,
Greg
Yeah, its unfortunate that 303 got bought by Gold Eagle, and they slapped the 303 branding on several of their products. But, the two which remain original and unchanged are the Aerospace protectant and the Fabric guard. Their uses are obvious based on their name.

As for using it on the trailer, a good quality wax designed for gel coat is a better choice. I recommend StarBrite. Use the Aerospace protectant on everything that ISN'T gelcoat - like vent covers. Use the fabric guard on the awning, and you're all set.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I thought that the Aerospace 303 was supposed to be a very good choice for fiberglass? They claim it penetrates INTO the gel coat and helps restore and protect it?

I first found out about it because Wenonah canoe recommends it for all their fiberglass and kevlar canoes as the best protection available. It sure did a great job on the used kevlar canoe I bought that was UV damaged.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-09-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I thought that the Aerospace 303 was supposed to be a very good choice for fiberglass? They claim it penetrates INTO the gel coat and helps restore and protect it?

I first found out about it because Wenonah canoe recommends it for all their fiberglass and kevlar canoes as the best protection available. It sure did a great job on the used kevlar canoe I bought that was UV damaged.
If the gel coat is oxidized or chalky, 303 does an outstanding job of bringing it back to life, and preventing further oxidation. But, its not a wax, and it will not give you the hard shell gloss that a quality wax will. If you keep the rig waxed regularly, oxidation will not occur in the first place. For external plastics or other materials that tend to yellow or oxidize, using 303 will prevent it. I use it on the tires too, and it prevents browning without that yucky wet shine caused by tire dressings. Lasts longer too.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I have 5+ years on my 19, I started and continued with 303 and it still looks like new. I'm very happy with it. I even hit the tires once a year -- they still look like new.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
I have 5+ years on my 19, I started and continued with 303 and it still looks like new. I'm very happy with it. I even hit the tires once a year -- they still look like new.

Bruce
Good point -- if you start out with it, it will preserve the finish. I just prefer the higher gloss achieved with a wax.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

I like the idea that 303 actually penetrates in and keeps the gel coat like new, when used from the start, rather than a coating of wax on the surface. But I'm stuck with wax now that I started with it, as I'm not ambitious enough to somehow take all the wax off, nor do I want to leave it unprotected waiting for the wax to wear off.

I've also read that 303 helps keep headlight lens covers from yellowing and getting cloudy. I've been using it on our new car, so we'll see.

Old 11-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #10

I'm shying away from marine wax. I used it on 2 lightly oxidized Casitas and it was a major SOB to run off, even with a polisher.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
I like the idea that 303 actually penetrates in and keeps the gel coat like new, when used from the start, rather than a coating of wax on the surface. But I'm stuck with wax now that I started with it, as I'm not ambitious enough to somehow take all the wax off, nor do I want to leave it unprotected waiting for the wax to wear off.

I've also read that 303 helps keep headlight lens covers from yellowing and getting cloudy. I've been using it on our new car, so we'll see.
If you want to go with 303 instead, there's a very easy way to get the wax off the trailer: just wash it a couple of times with Dawn - the original blue one. It strips wax very well. Detailers use it to strip a car before they clay and refinish it.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
If you want to go with 303 instead, there's a very easy way to get the wax off the trailer: just wash it a couple of times with Dawn - the original blue one. It strips wax very well. Detailers use it to strip a car before they clay and refinish it.
Thanks for that. It would be work to do that, but less work each time using the 303 vs the NuFinish I use now. But since we have a shed for our trailer, I only need to wax it once a year.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Eric,

I commend you for thinking about washing and waxing today. We are expecting snow tonight. I suppose a light coating of snow will protect the trailer....
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Eric,

I commend you for thinking about washing and waxing today. We are expecting snow tonight. I suppose a light coating of snow will protect the trailer....
LOL its done, up on jack stands and winterized. I've got the snowblower gassed up and ready to go - I sure hope I don't need it.

We just had to sweep up the next million Asian Lady Beetle carcasses out of the shed. Another wonderful imported species!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Maybe not needing the snowblower is certainly optimistic, Eric!

Greg, as Bruce does, we use 303 Aerospace Protectant, no wax. It doesn't shine the way wax would but I hear the 303 is less trouble and we want the UV protection. Have a cover on now, too, but usually do not and it does not keep really the sun off, it seems.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Talking Bow to Stern users?

After spending much time reading on the Casita Forums, I decided to go with BTS (Bow to Stern). I bought a quart and a Gallon for refills for the Casita. I just put the first application on the 21' last week after getting 5000 miles worth of bugs off. Goes on nice and also seems to melt off the last of the petrified bug juice better than the bug and tar removers. BTS makes many of the same claims as 303. Since I still have a gallon I guess I will be going with that for quite a while. I am also using it to get petrified bugs off the front of the Silverado that bug and tar remover does not seem to touch. Anyone out there using that on their Escapes? I think waxes and protectants fall into the same category as does argument as to which is better, Ford, Chevy.
Attached Thumbnails
bts.gif  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
After spending much time reading on the Casita Forums, I decided to go with BTS (Bow to Stern). I bought a quart and a Gallon for refills for the Casita. I just put the first application on the 21' last week after getting 5000 miles worth of bugs off. Goes on nice and also seems to melt off the last of the petrified bug juice better than the bug and tar removers. BTS makes many of the same claims as 303. Since I still have a gallon I guess I will be going with that for quite a while. I am also using it to get petrified bugs off the front of the Silverado that bug and tar remover does not seem to touch. Anyone out there using that on their Escapes? I think waxes and protectants fall into the same category as does argument as to which is better, Ford, Chevy.
Bow to Stern does have similar UV protection to 303. It was developed for the boating industry, while 303 was developed for the aviation industry. Their UV blocking properties are slightly different, but the jury's out as to which works better. I've seen good results with both.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:52 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
We just had to sweep up the next million Asian Lady Beetle carcasses out of the shed. Another wonderful imported species!
Yeah those things are nasty. My mom has to deal with cleaning them out of every nook and cranny after a season in central Illinois.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yeah those things are nasty. My mom has to deal with cleaning them out of every nook and cranny after a season in central Illinois.
Every time they harvest a soybean field near us, I can watch clouds of them descent upon us. Tell your mom about Buggslayer relatively non-toxic (to mammals anyway) and kills them before they make it into the house. Menards sells it.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Every time they harvest a soybean field near us, I can watch clouds of them descent upon us. Tell your mom about Buggslayer relatively non-toxic (to mammals anyway) and kills them before they make it into the house. Menards sells it.
Thanks for the tip. She's not in a house, but in a massive 40+ foot 5th wheel. She is a full timer who runs an RV park in Rantoul from March to the end of October. I suppose she could spray down the RV though.