AGM Batteries - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Group 31 Agm

Bought one last year from Canadian Tire, used it south this year while dry camping and connected to a 40 watt solar panel. Ran a heater at night charged my cell phones and tablet between 10-2 pm. Used the water pump liberally as well. It never left good reading on my monitor. Was charging and tracking the sun high charging rate was 13.7 v.

Very happy with mine so far.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Jim, I have been using one for ten years now and like it. Not vented and am still alive.
Aside from the cost which is scary, you don't need to touch it, will not self-discharge as much as wet cells etc.

The catch is that it requires a different charging curve and that means a charger that can be switched to AGM mode or you will wreck the battery. Other than that its a good option just get the correct charger with AGM mode.
Jim

I bought an AGM last year as killed my normal flooded battery by letting it get too low. The battery box (at least in my old 2007) is a pain to open, so decided to go the AGM route. Found a good deal online picked up in South Dakota. Has been problem free. It is still vented, just feel better about that.

Only issue was initial charge which my mechanic did on his charger which he said needed only for initial charge then any charger will do, i.e. don't need one with AGM mode. I haven't changed any settings on the Escape charger either.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:24 PM   #23

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Jim, a senior moment here. I mis-spoke on AGM charging.
AGM charging profile is close enough to wet cell batteries, should not be an issue.

I have been using a GEL battery past ten years and like it very much except for the fickle charging profile I mentioned.

As with any deep draw battery, using the top 50% capacity is ideal if you want it to last.
With our 21 ft on order, my 12/120v electric refrigerator's battery bank, inside the cabin, will be either GEL or AGM. My charger can handle all three modes. The calculated running refrigerator running time is based on using 50% battery capacity.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
My Experience with Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts

Jim,

I used Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts (105 AH) in my truck camper from 2002 until today. I even turned the largest Lance dealer in SoCal onto them circa 2003 after he had a disagreement with Optima. Lifelines are pricy though, somewhere around $350 US now, whereas I think I might be able to get six volt deep cycles for $100 US. Unfortunately I killed three of my AGMs early by twice not catching the frig switching over to 12V behind my back. Ouch!

ETI's price of $250 Ca for two six volts was too good to pass up to start off our 5.0TA when we picked it up in October 2015. When it comes time to replace I will look closely at the Lifelines, although they don't fit the footprint of the battery box for the two ETI six volts. Also access to the batteries under the back bench is decent enough to check the water levels as necessary, so access is not the issue it was for me in the truck camper.

Every time I have researched AGMs the Lifelines have appeared to me to be best value, the last time being in 2013. Also, AM Solar in Oregon, probably our best RV integrator/installer in the US has always used Lifelines. Also, I just noticed while doing a quick Google search that Lifeline has come up with the GPL 31XT 12V, 125AH battery in the same three dimensional configuration as GPL 31T. Sounds intriguing at 74 lbs., versus 64 lbs. for the 31T. Pricy though at $390 US each before tax and shipping.

Finally, even in heavily populated SoCal I have always had to go out of my way to obtain Linelines, the last time preordering and then picking up at Batteries Plus, 20 miles from me. Six volts are easier to come by.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks so much to all than have replied. It has very much helped to ground all the myriad of thoughts bouncing through my head after doing a bunch of researching. Just what I was looking for.

Quote:
Jim, I have been using one for ten years now and like it. Not vented and am still alive.
Aside from the cost which is scary, you don't need to touch it, will not self-discharge as much as wet cells etc.

The catch is that it requires a different charging curve and that means a charger that can be switched to AGM mode or you will wreck the battery. Other than that its a good option just get the correct charger with AGM mode.
Glad to hear you are still with us, Santiago. This gives me good confidence in my planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I really like AGMs Jim for applications where venting is impractical. The lithium ones are crazy expensive, and the AGM seems a more reasonable alternative to flooded.

As Santiago points out, the charging profile must be changed, but I believe that's a simple dip switch setting on the chargers installed by ETI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Samlex SCC-30AB has settings for AGM batteries as well. The default dip switch settings (off-off-off) that they ship with are actually the correct settings for an AGM battery according to the manual.
I will confirm settings when going this route, thanks for this input.
Quote:
With our 21 ft on order, my 12/120v electric refrigerator's battery bank, inside the cabin, will be either GEL or AGM. My charger can handle all three modes. The calculated running refrigerator running time is based on using 50% battery capacity.
Are you getting and exchanging the Escape supplied fridge, or going without one and supplying your own 12V/120V one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTHKR View Post
Jim,

I used Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts (105 AH) in my truck camper from 2002 until today. I even turned the largest Lance dealer in SoCal onto them circa 2003 after he had a disagreement with Optima. Lifelines are pricy though, somewhere around $350 US now, whereas I think I might be able to get six volt deep cycles for $100 US. Unfortunately I killed three of my AGMs early by twice not catching the frig switching over to 12V behind my back. Ouch!

ETI's price of $250 Ca for two six volts was too good to pass up to start off our 5.0TA when we picked it up in October 2015. When it comes time to replace I will look closely at the Lifelines, although they don't fit the footprint of the battery box for the two ETI six volts. Also access to the batteries under the back bench is decent enough to check the water levels as necessary, so access is not the issue it was for me in the truck camper.

Every time I have researched AGMs the Lifelines have appeared to me to be best value, the last time being in 2013. Also, AM Solar in Oregon, probably our best RV integrator/installer in the US has always used Lifelines. Also, I just noticed while doing a quick Google search that Lifeline has come up with the GPL 31XT 12V, 125AH battery in the same three dimensional configuration as GPL 31T. Sounds intriguing at 74 lbs., versus 64 lbs. for the 31T. Pricy though at $390 US each before tax and shipping.

Finally, even in heavily populated SoCal I have always had to go out of my way to obtain Linelines, the last time preordering and then picking up at Batteries Plus, 20 miles from me. Six volts are easier to come by.

Cliff
Thanks for this. I have had the Lifeline brand come up a couple times in my researching. They also seem to have quite a wide selection.

Just curious, but is there a reason you are looking at 12V instead of 6V? Their GPL-4CT seems to come up as one for sale that can be shipped here. There does not seem to be a dealer handling them near me. Amazon for $400 each, and $336 for shipping...ouch.
I did find them cheaper at this place, though not sure of the shipping.
https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...tml#pageErrors
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #26

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Jim, going without the propane refrigerator, shell cutouts and roof vent. Will supply my own electric one that yes will go through the 21 classic door. It's just a little wood working the power top tap will be there. Leveling and day long cool down will be thing of the past.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Jim, going without the propane refrigerator, shell cutouts and roof vent. Will supply my own electric one that yes will go through the 21 classic door. It's just a little wood working the power top tap will be there. Leveling and day long cool down will be thing of the past.
Is your reason for going with this fridge because of the lack of options to fit through that door, with the poorer hot weather performance of them, or just because you would prefer the electric only fridge performance?

If you had the capacity to get a better 3-way fridge, like Escape is using in the 2017 models, would you have gone that way?

What model fridge to you plan to use, and what battery capacity?

Maybe a subject for another thread, but I am curious and interested in hearing all options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Originally posted by Jim Bennett:

"Thanks for this. I have had the Lifeline brand come up a couple times in my researching. They also seem to have quite a wide selection.

Just curious, but is there a reason you are looking at 12V instead of 6V? Their GPL-4CT seems to come up as one for sale that can be shipped here. There does not seem to be a dealer handling them near me. Amazon for $400 each, and $336 for shipping...ouch.
I did find them cheaper at this place, though not sure of the shipping.
https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...tml#pageErrors"

Jim,

Only reason I talk in terms of 12V is in 2003 I initially had room for just one battery in my truck camper. Later I moved my Lifeline GPL 31T literally to under the kitchen sink and put a new traditional 12V lead acid from Costco in the one-battery outside compartment. Too frugal (cheap) to buy a second new Lifeline. I knew you are not supposed to mix battery types and ages, but it worked just fine with solar for about three years until I killed them both when the frig switched over to 12V without my knowledge . If I were replacing my ETI six volt batteries today, I might very well go with the GPL-4CT. From memory I believe I learned 6V batteries provide a little more power and/or last a little longer, pound for pound, than 12Vs. I think I just found an online price of $309 each US with free shipping (and maybe no sales tax) for a GPL-4CT. It looks like competition has finally caught up with Lifeline because years ago it was like they were almost "fair traded" and you couldn't find them online, but only at authorized dealers.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:29 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
Using AGM's for 15 years

Hi
I've been using AGM's for many years as I am solar powered. Yes they do cost more, but last twice or 3x's as long. They are also extremely resistant to vibration. You can buy them "cheap" online as they do not ship as hazardous. Aircraft, sailboats, etc. use them extensively. I wouldn't buy any other type battery for solar. Jupiter makes excellent batteries at a decent price....free shipping...and dancing girls deliver them.
Hope this helps.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #30

Free shipping...dancing girls delivering...sign me up.

Will check them out, and see if they even ship to Canada
Old 04-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by algonquin50 View Post
... They are also extremely resistant to vibration.
Aircraft, sailboats, etc. use them extensively.
They are also popular with off-road vehicles due to the vibration resistance and the fact that they can be tilted to any angle without damage.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0TA
.......not to mention that dancing girls deliver them.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:00 PM   #33

Is your reason for going with this fridge because of the lack of options to fit through that door, with the poorer hot weather performance of them, or just because you would prefer the electric only fridge performance?

If you had the capacity to get a better 3-way fridge, like Escape is using in the 2017 models, would you have gone that way?

What model fridge to you plan to use, and what battery capacity?

Maybe a subject for another thread, but I am curious and interested in hearing all options.

Hi Jim, just returned from house rebuilding. It's our retirement home we work on weekends only as Kim and I still work, December we retire. We gutted it and are rebuilding everything !

As to why we are buying out 21 classic without the shell cut outs and absorption fridge, we are not fond of what seems like 99% of RVs use. The boating crowd got it right they are ahead of the RV industry. I appreciate absorption refrigeration's benefits like long supply of energy for boon docking, just refill the propane bottles. That is the only benefit I see and will miss that. The absorption technology cooling performance is no match for the Dan Flos compressor units, cools quickly even when not level on a hill or some steep driveways, that's one of my problems when loading at home.

Nova Kool is the vendor I chose, they are Canadian as I recall. Because of the 21 classic's limited door width and to not disturb the existing fridge cabinet too much, I might have to settle for a 2 door 6- 6.8 cf unit. If I can remove a couple of flanges I would like the 7.3 cf unit. In the new 2017 21 ft, that should not be a problem as it has wider door.

With solar you can boon dock a lot more without having a large battery set up. If you mostly plug in, then electric is a no brainer.

I will say this, electric fridge in larger RVs is not common as there is a price penalty due to batteries. I think the units themselves are comparable in price with absorption units. Still its not for everyone.

You can look up Fish Taco who replaced his absorption unit with a Nova Kool on his 19 ft. He seemed pleased with the performance and not that difficult to install. Unfortunately he still has the shell and roof cut outs. I am going to avoid that.

I need to dig up my calcs for different scenarios but as I recall I was considering 2 Lifeline 12v 255 AH Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Battery - GPL-8DA - about US$650 each. Can you see why absorption refrigerators sell so well. Only die hards will pay. These two 12 v produce 510 amp-hr drawing down only 50% you are back to 225 ah available. I calculated that the model I was interested needed 63 ah daily. So in theory 225 ah / 63 = 3.6 days of use. This are rough estimates, your mileage will vary. I will dedicate these two batteries to the fridge and have another house battery.

If you have external amp supply like solar, auto charging while driving, camp generator or charger when plugged in at a campground, you can get unlimited use.

I am dead set on bringing my trailer home without the fridge, will use ice cooler till I get the electric one installed. We have the tools and know how.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #34

Hi Jim, just returned from house rebuilding. It's our retirement home we work on weekends only as Kim and I still work, December we retire. We gutted it and are rebuilding everything !

As to why we are buying our 21 classic without the shell cut outs and absorption fridge, we are not fond of what it seems 99% of RVs use today. The boating crowd got it right they are ahead of the RV industry. I appreciate absorption refrigeration's benefits like long supply of energy for boon docking, just refill the propane bottles. That is the only benefit I see and will miss that. The absorption technology cooling performance is no match for the Dan Flos compressor units, cools quickly even when not level on a hill or some steep driveways, that's one of my problems when loading at home.

Nova Kool is the vendor I chose, they are Canadian as I recall. Because of the 21 classic's limited door width and to not disturb the existing fridge cabinet too much, I might have to settle for a 2 door 6- 6.8 cf unit. If I can remove a couple of flanges to just get it through the door, I would like the 7.3 cf unit instead. In the new 2017 21 ft that should not be a problem as it has a wider door.

With solar you can boon dock a lot more without having a large battery set up. If you mostly plug in, then electric is a no brainer.

I will say this, electric fridge in larger RVs is not common as there is a price penalty due to the batteries. I think the units themselves are comparable in price with absorption units. Still its not for everyone.

You can look up the Fish Taco posts who replaced his absorption unit with a Nova Kool on his 19 ft. He seemed pleased with the performance and was not that difficult to install. Unfortunately he still has the shell and roof cut outs. I am going to avoid that.

I need to dig up my calcs for different scenarios but as I recall I was considering 2 Lifeline 12v 255 AH Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Battery - GPL-8DA - about US$650 each. Can you see why absorption refrigerators sell so well. Only die hards will pay as much for the batteries as the refrigerator! These two 12 v AGM batteries produce 510 amp-hr drawing down only 50% you are back to 225 ah available. I calculated that the model I was interested needed 63 ah daily. So in theory 225 ah / 63 = 3.6 days of use. This are rough estimates, your mileage will vary. I will dedicate these two batteries to the fridge and have another house battery.

If you have external ampere supply like solar, tow charging while driving, camp generator or charger when plugged in at a campground, you can get unlimited use.

I am dead set on bringing my trailer home without the fridge, will use ice cooler till I get the electric one installed. We have the tools and know how.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:01 AM   #35

Quote:
... I was considering 2 Lifeline 12v 255 AH Deep Cycle Sealed AGM Battery - GPL-8DA ...

If you have external amp supply like solar, auto charging while driving, camp generator or charger when plugged in at a campground, you can get unlimited use.
I would use the GPL-8DL: it appears that the only difference is the terminals, and the -8DL has more suitable lugs to bolt ring terminals to, rather than the automotive style posts of the -8DA. (I assume that the "L" or "A" simply describes the terminals.)

Two 8D batteries - that's 312 pounds (or 142 kg). They should work well, but I hope they're mounted close to the axle rather than under the rear of the dinette.

If you want to get significant charging while driving, I suggest seriously looking at a DC-to-DC charger, rather than expecting the voltage that happens to result from the tug's charging system operation to be suitable. It should be no problem to pump 30 amps into the trailer's batteries with a suitable charger, but just a wire to the tug's battery won't do that.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #36

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I would use the GPL-8DL: it appears that the only difference is the terminals, and the -8DL has more suitable lugs to bolt ring terminals to, rather than the automotive style posts of the -8DA. (I assume that the "L" or "A" simply describes the terminals.)

Two 8D batteries - that's 312 pounds (or 142 kg). They should work well, but I hope they're mounted close to the axle rather than under the rear of the dinette.

If you want to get significant charging while driving, I suggest seriously looking at a DC-to-DC charger, rather than expecting the voltage that happens to result from the tug's charging system operation to be suitable. It should be no problem to pump 30 amps into the trailer's batteries with a suitable charger, but just a wire to the tug's battery won't do that.
Hi Brian .... I'm very interested in your last paragraphs statement .... DC to DC charging and a wire not being enough.

Could you please elaborate on that? I have run a 10 guage wire from my alternator to my trailer electrical connection ... 7 pin. In looking further into voltage drop issues I have been thinking about changing that out for an 8 guage wire. Not sure at this time what ETI installs from the 7 pin back to the battery charger. I have a 17A with the batteries and charger in the very rear and the distance is great enough to pay attention to voltage drop. I think my 90 amp tow alternator should be able to add significantly to my trailer battery charge while traveling. Can you offer some advice?

Thank you,

Tom

I'm off to learn more about DC to DC charging.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #37

Hi Brian,

Yes the L, A and a few others I think are the terminals, automotive lugs are non-starter.
The suckers are heavy and after measuring the 21 at ETI last September I think that after a little "persuasion", cutting and pasting I can fit one on each side over the axle to keep the rig in balance.

On the truck charging, I am thinking of inverting the truck's battery/alternator 12vDC to 120 vAC, sending 20amps ( wired for 30amps in case it can ) over to the truck's hitch. It will bypass the 7 pin trailer connector for obvious reason as well as safety. From there to the trailer's True Charge 40 I already have and will install in the 21ft.

Unlike wet cells, AGM can take high charging rates. The True Charge can service wet, AGM and GEL and also distribute them over three channels that can not exceed 40 amps.

Will have details after I get my hands on the trailer some time this year.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:33 AM   #38

One more thing, for safety, AC wiring running from inverter to trailer's charger will be inside rigid and flex pvc conduit.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
Hi Brian .... I'm very interested in your last paragraphs statement .... DC to DC charging and a wire not being enough.

Could you please elaborate on that? I have run a 10 guage wire from my alternator to my trailer electrical connection ... 7 pin. In looking further into voltage drop issues I have been thinking about changing that out for an 8 guage wire. Not sure at this time what ETI installs from the 7 pin back to the battery charger. I have a 17A with the batteries and charger in the very rear and the distance is great enough to pay attention to voltage drop. I think my 90 amp tow alternator should be able to add significantly to my trailer battery charge while traveling.
The 10-gauge wire it common; heavier wire will help. Yes, the problem is voltage drop: the charging system puts out what the tow vehicle's battery needs (roughly) and the trailer battery gets less than that due to voltage loss in the wire... which might not be enough to be very useful.

The current output capacity of the tow vehicle's alternator is nearly irrelevant: you could have a 200-amp alternator (a common feature of police cars and option on commercial vehicles) and it won't help any, because it is still regulated to put out a voltage which won't be ideal for the trailer.

A DC-to-DC charger takes in DC power (roughly 12 volts from the tug in this case) and puts out DC power - whatever voltage is needed by the trailer battery in this case, following the usual battery charger logic. As the trailer battery gets charged that means that the charger will be boosting the voltage (and thus the input current is higher than the output current). They're really expensive, because they are very rarely used; almost everyone just settles for whatever the trailer happens to get. I don't have one - I never have never relied on getting a lot of charge into the trailer battery while driving.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #40

Quote:
On the truck charging, I am thinking of inverting the truck's battery/alternator 12vDC to 120 vAC, sending 20amps ( wired for 30amps in case it can ) over to the truck's hitch. It will bypass the 7 pin trailer connector for obvious reason as well as safety. From there to the trailer's True Charge 40 I already have and will install in the 21ft.
Although somewhat indirect (12 V DC to 120 V AC to 12 V DC), this would certainly work well... if you find a suitably effective and safe 120 V AC connection between the vehicles. You certainly don't need 20 or 30 amps @ 120 V, unless you want 200 amps of DC charging and are willing to run a 2.4 kW inverter in the tug to support it. Maybe a 40 amp @ 14 V DC charger output, and so 5 amps @ 120 V AC of power from a 600 watt inverter and 15 amps of AC wiring capacity?