AGM Batteries - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-01-2016, 08:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17b
Group 31 Agm

Bought one last year from Canadian Tire, used it south this year while dry camping and connected to a 40 watt solar panel. Ran a heater at night charged my cell phones and tablet between 10-2 pm. Used the water pump liberally as well. It never left good reading on my monitor. Was charging and tracking the sun high charging rate was 13.7 v.

Very happy with mine so far.

grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
Jim, I have been using one for ten years now and like it. Not vented and am still alive.
Aside from the cost which is scary, you don't need to touch it, will not self-discharge as much as wet cells etc.

The catch is that it requires a different charging curve and that means a charger that can be switched to AGM mode or you will wreck the battery. Other than that its a good option just get the correct charger with AGM mode.
Jim

I bought an AGM last year as killed my normal flooded battery by letting it get too low. The battery box (at least in my old 2007) is a pain to open, so decided to go the AGM route. Found a good deal online picked up in South Dakota. Has been problem free. It is still vented, just feel better about that.

Only issue was initial charge which my mechanic did on his charger which he said needed only for initial charge then any charger will do, i.e. don't need one with AGM mode. I haven't changed any settings on the Escape charger either.

Adrian

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #23

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Jim, a senior moment here. I mis-spoke on AGM charging.
AGM charging profile is close enough to wet cell batteries, should not be an issue.

I have been using a GEL battery past ten years and like it very much except for the fickle charging profile I mentioned.

As with any deep draw battery, using the top 50% capacity is ideal if you want it to last.
With our 21 ft on order, my 12/120v electric refrigerator's battery bank, inside the cabin, will be either GEL or AGM. My charger can handle all three modes. The calculated running refrigerator running time is based on using 50% battery capacity.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
My Experience with Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts

Jim,

I used Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts (105 AH) in my truck camper from 2002 until today. I even turned the largest Lance dealer in SoCal onto them circa 2003 after he had a disagreement with Optima. Lifelines are pricy though, somewhere around $350 US now, whereas I think I might be able to get six volt deep cycles for $100 US. Unfortunately I killed three of my AGMs early by twice not catching the frig switching over to 12V behind my back. Ouch!

ETI's price of $250 Ca for two six volts was too good to pass up to start off our 5.0TA when we picked it up in October 2015. When it comes time to replace I will look closely at the Lifelines, although they don't fit the footprint of the battery box for the two ETI six volts. Also access to the batteries under the back bench is decent enough to check the water levels as necessary, so access is not the issue it was for me in the truck camper.

Every time I have researched AGMs the Lifelines have appeared to me to be best value, the last time being in 2013. Also, AM Solar in Oregon, probably our best RV integrator/installer in the US has always used Lifelines. Also, I just noticed while doing a quick Google search that Lifeline has come up with the GPL 31XT 12V, 125AH battery in the same three dimensional configuration as GPL 31T. Sounds intriguing at 74 lbs., versus 64 lbs. for the 31T. Pricy though at $390 US each before tax and shipping.

Finally, even in heavily populated SoCal I have always had to go out of my way to obtain Linelines, the last time preordering and then picking up at Batteries Plus, 20 miles from me. Six volts are easier to come by.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Thanks so much to all than have replied. It has very much helped to ground all the myriad of thoughts bouncing through my head after doing a bunch of researching. Just what I was looking for.

Quote:
Jim, I have been using one for ten years now and like it. Not vented and am still alive.
Aside from the cost which is scary, you don't need to touch it, will not self-discharge as much as wet cells etc.

The catch is that it requires a different charging curve and that means a charger that can be switched to AGM mode or you will wreck the battery. Other than that its a good option just get the correct charger with AGM mode.
Glad to hear you are still with us, Santiago. This gives me good confidence in my planning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I really like AGMs Jim for applications where venting is impractical. The lithium ones are crazy expensive, and the AGM seems a more reasonable alternative to flooded.

As Santiago points out, the charging profile must be changed, but I believe that's a simple dip switch setting on the chargers installed by ETI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The Samlex SCC-30AB has settings for AGM batteries as well. The default dip switch settings (off-off-off) that they ship with are actually the correct settings for an AGM battery according to the manual.
I will confirm settings when going this route, thanks for this input.
Quote:
With our 21 ft on order, my 12/120v electric refrigerator's battery bank, inside the cabin, will be either GEL or AGM. My charger can handle all three modes. The calculated running refrigerator running time is based on using 50% battery capacity.
Are you getting and exchanging the Escape supplied fridge, or going without one and supplying your own 12V/120V one?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMTHKR View Post
Jim,

I used Lifeline 12V GPL 31Ts (105 AH) in my truck camper from 2002 until today. I even turned the largest Lance dealer in SoCal onto them circa 2003 after he had a disagreement with Optima. Lifelines are pricy though, somewhere around $350 US now, whereas I think I might be able to get six volt deep cycles for $100 US. Unfortunately I killed three of my AGMs early by twice not catching the frig switching over to 12V behind my back. Ouch!

ETI's price of $250 Ca for two six volts was too good to pass up to start off our 5.0TA when we picked it up in October 2015. When it comes time to replace I will look closely at the Lifelines, although they don't fit the footprint of the battery box for the two ETI six volts. Also access to the batteries under the back bench is decent enough to check the water levels as necessary, so access is not the issue it was for me in the truck camper.

Every time I have researched AGMs the Lifelines have appeared to me to be best value, the last time being in 2013. Also, AM Solar in Oregon, probably our best RV integrator/installer in the US has always used Lifelines. Also, I just noticed while doing a quick Google search that Lifeline has come up with the GPL 31XT 12V, 125AH battery in the same three dimensional configuration as GPL 31T. Sounds intriguing at 74 lbs., versus 64 lbs. for the 31T. Pricy though at $390 US each before tax and shipping.

Finally, even in heavily populated SoCal I have always had to go out of my way to obtain Linelines, the last time preordering and then picking up at Batteries Plus, 20 miles from me. Six volts are easier to come by.

Cliff
Thanks for this. I have had the Lifeline brand come up a couple times in my researching. They also seem to have quite a wide selection.

Just curious, but is there a reason you are looking at 12V instead of 6V? Their GPL-4CT seems to come up as one for sale that can be shipped here. There does not seem to be a dealer handling them near me. Amazon for $400 each, and $336 for shipping...ouch.
I did find them cheaper at this place, though not sure of the shipping.
https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...tml#pageErrors
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #26

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - 2016 Ram 1500 Up for Sale Soon 19k mi
Jim, going without the propane refrigerator, shell cutouts and roof vent. Will supply my own electric one that yes will go through the 21 classic door. It's just a little wood working the power top tap will be there. Leveling and day long cool down will be thing of the past.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #27

Quote:
Jim, going without the propane refrigerator, shell cutouts and roof vent. Will supply my own electric one that yes will go through the 21 classic door. It's just a little wood working the power top tap will be there. Leveling and day long cool down will be thing of the past.
Is your reason for going with this fridge because of the lack of options to fit through that door, with the poorer hot weather performance of them, or just because you would prefer the electric only fridge performance?

If you had the capacity to get a better 3-way fridge, like Escape is using in the 2017 models, would you have gone that way?

What model fridge to you plan to use, and what battery capacity?

Maybe a subject for another thread, but I am curious and interested in hearing all options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-02-2016, 10:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Originally posted by Jim Bennett:

"Thanks for this. I have had the Lifeline brand come up a couple times in my researching. They also seem to have quite a wide selection.

Just curious, but is there a reason you are looking at 12V instead of 6V? Their GPL-4CT seems to come up as one for sale that can be shipped here. There does not seem to be a dealer handling them near me. Amazon for $400 each, and $336 for shipping...ouch.
I did find them cheaper at this place, though not sure of the shipping.
https://www.batterystuff.com/batteri...tml#pageErrors"

Jim,

Only reason I talk in terms of 12V is in 2003 I initially had room for just one battery in my truck camper. Later I moved my Lifeline GPL 31T literally to under the kitchen sink and put a new traditional 12V lead acid from Costco in the one-battery outside compartment. Too frugal (cheap) to buy a second new Lifeline. I knew you are not supposed to mix battery types and ages, but it worked just fine with solar for about three years until I killed them both when the frig switched over to 12V without my knowledge . If I were replacing my ETI six volt batteries today, I might very well go with the GPL-4CT. From memory I believe I learned 6V batteries provide a little more power and/or last a little longer, pound for pound, than 12Vs. I think I just found an online price of $309 each US with free shipping (and maybe no sales tax) for a GPL-4CT. It looks like competition has finally caught up with Lifeline because years ago it was like they were almost "fair traded" and you couldn't find them online, but only at authorized dealers.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 R-Pod
Using AGM's for 15 years

Hi
I've been using AGM's for many years as I am solar powered. Yes they do cost more, but last twice or 3x's as long. They are also extremely resistant to vibration. You can buy them "cheap" online as they do not ship as hazardous. Aircraft, sailboats, etc. use them extensively. I wouldn't buy any other type battery for solar. Jupiter makes excellent batteries at a decent price....free shipping...and dancing girls deliver them.
Hope this helps.
algonquin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 01:16 PM   #30

Free shipping...dancing girls delivering...sign me up.

Will check them out, and see if they even ship to Canada