Almost went Scamp 16', now considering Escape 15' - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Almost went Scamp 16', now considering Escape 15'

Hi All,

The subject line sums it up. We were about to put in an order for a Scamp 16' standard, but then I ran across the Escape website, and, well ... I'm hooked in.

I'd love to hear from people who've "Scamped" -- and now have Escapes. Or vice versa. What are the pros of the Escape, from your perspective? The cons? How does the usable, livable space compare in the Escape 15' to the Scamp 16'? How do the towing experiences compare?

Is the Escape 15' worth more $$? It's about a $3,700 difference between what we'd been thinking about in the Scamp 16'.

One info tidbit ... we'd settled on the standard Scamp 16' mainly because of weight (and I just posted about this on your towing forum) -- we are concerned that our 2005 Subaru would be at its max with the 16' Scamp standard, and a Scamp Deluxe, which we preferred for the interior, was out of the question. The 15' Escape seems -- at least according to Tammy -- like it might be a whole lot more feasible for our vehicle. Considerably lighter. If you have thoughts on this, you can answer here or hop over to the tow forum ... gratzi.

Finally ... anyone got good pics of a 15' up -- of the interior? I saw lots of great ones of larger models here, but no 15's. I know they're new this year, but I figure there are some of you out there ...

Best and thanks,

Elizabeth
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Re: Almost went Scamp 16', now considering Escape 15'

Elizabeth - welcome to the Forum!

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #3

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

There are some members who are recent converts from Scamps to Escapes (not necessarily to 15's though). In fact there is a currently active thread entitled "Escaped from Scamp" which you might find helpful. http://escapeforum.org/index.php?top...sg5687#msg5687

I'd suggest taking some time using the search function located at the top right of each page and you'll likely find a plethora of useful information and potentially answers to a lot (although not all) of your questions.

You'll find that overall, the members of this forum tend to be satisfied customers that are very happy with their trailers and pleased with their experiences in dealing with Reace & Tammy who are truly wonderful people.

Welcome to the forum & good luck in your decision making.

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape

Welcome, Elizabeth!

The Escape web site has some nice interior photos of the 15'.

http://www.escapetrailer.com/Products/15FootEscape.aspx

Just click on "Floor Plan A" or "Floor Plan B" and then click on the little camera.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora...And WELCOME I can't answer as a 15' owner but I do know that the 15' Escape has a larger bed than the 17' Escape. Tammy said so!!! It all has to do with the floorplan!!! You would have to go to a Deluxe Scamp for a comparable interior... but the differences in trailers are tremendous. The quality of the Escape out shines all others. That's my unbiased opinion. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
against the wall.jpg   phpEiQG2CPM.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 06:16 AM   #6

As one who has converted from a 16' Scamp to a 17' Escape I can attest to the previous comments. The fact that Scamp has an exposed wood (OSB) floor; that it has a few dozen revits through the body (all potential leaks) is enough for me to convert. It is best built, best designed, well thought out.....just better than Casita, Scamp and others......and the people you deal with at Escape are very accommodating.

Jerry
Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #7

Wow, thanks for all your enthusiastic responses. Assuming we can confirm our Subaru (which is the lower powered one) would be okay with the 15', I think we're in the right place ... We hope to have a convo w/Tammy or Rease about this today.

A few questions for you guys. First, has anyone compared the 15' Escape with the 16' Scamp, in terms of spaciousness/room? It appears that the interior of the 15' Escape is about 1 foot 8 inches shorter than the 16' Scamp, and I'm wondering if you really feel that difference inside. The photos I've seen on Tammy and Rease's site suggest that the storage/etc is so much smarter that we'd make that up, but I'd love to hear from someone who's actually been in both and can make a comparison. I'm hearing that the bed is bigger in the 15' Escape, so I'm also wondering how that translates in terms of floor room.

The main issue for us is that we have two large dogs -- 70+ pound Golden Retriever mixes whose "job" is to greet and hang out with their people. A good thing, natch, but not so great when we considered the 13' Scamp and realized we would probably kill each other trying to prep breakfast, etc. We can certainly allow them on the bed, etc, but we don't want to be in a position where we're all having to move in tandem in order to operate.

This actually brings me to another question -- do people use the screen room with dogs? How does that go? It seems awfully appealing to us to be able to "let the pups out" if we can ... not sure how big that enclosed space is though. Our pups are not diggers and generally respect screens, so I don't think we'd have to worry too much about them escaping if we could pin down the edges somewhat.

The external shower is interesting to us as a shower -- but also as a way to clean off the pups after a jaunt. Is that hookup inside the area that contains the screen room?

Finally, per the cabinets that I'm seeing around the top of the Escape's interior -- are these generally big enough to be useful? We've been trying to "cut back on crap" but I do know that intelligent storage options are going to be important. We're also buying this primarily for work -- we are radio journalists who do lots of work in smaller and rural communities -- and we travel with a certain amount of equipment that we would want to store. Not a huge amount, but enough that we'd want to think about where we'd put it all.

Thanks,

~e
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Elizabeth, I cannot speak on the 15' Escape v. 16' Scamp interior space as I have not spent enough time in the 15' - only briefly when we picked ours up. But I do know that the 17B Escape feels much much more spacious than the 16' Scamp. We have both sat in amazement that the 17B is only 1' longer than the Scamp 16 when it seems far larger inside. That is due to a better floorplan in my opinion. The 17B has the bathroom on the side where the Scamp had it in the front. From the pictures of the 15A that you are talking about - it looks to me as if it has at least as much useable space as we had in our 16' Deluxe Side Dinette Scamp. Not getting a bathroom means a lot more other space.

The very best thing would be if you could get into both the spaces yourself if you can work that out. I can say though that with 2 large dogs I think you might feel somewhat cramped in any egg - even a 19'. But we all get used to the space that we have to work with.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

The exterior shower on the 17B is on the driver side, the awning and screen room on the passenger side. I presume it would be the same on the 15.

baglo
Old 08-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: medora...The screen room is about the same dimentions as the awning. The panels slide into a groove in the awning tube and then dome snap to the side of the trailer by the awning arms. There is a skirt that attaches below the door of the trailer. This is another option that's best built with the trailer. We have one!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:32 PM   #11

We are the owners of a 15B. Our main reason for going for this trailer was the bed size. It is 54 inches wide which is 5 or 6 wider than the 17B or 13 ft, which doesn't seem like much, but does make a difference. We previously owned a 15' Trillium and so were familiar with the size, but we were looking for a bathroom, especially for those night time visits. The 15B is a great little trailer. Lots of cupboard space for our needs, shower and toilet work great, water capacities are awesome for such a small trailer. We like everything about it. Retractable screen door, a/c which shuts off completely when not cooling, heater which is not overly noisey, water heater which comes on with the flick of a switch, outside storage entry, outside 110 outlet, bike rack, rock guard, sewer hose storage and hookup. Compared to our friends RV's it also uses very little propane for the heater and fridge. Loaded weight is about 2000 pounds which pulls very well behind our Chevrolet Colorado (Chev small truck version), with mileage running around 18 to 20 mpg depending on how hilling the roads are.
donwesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:13 PM   #12

I'd love to see photos of your 15B if you're willing to share. Did you do any modifications?

Thanks,

Elizabeth