aluminum wheel specs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2017, 11:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
In answer to Moaboy, I have no experience one way or another with the Carlisle tires. I was just not impressed with the internet babble about them, or the speed rating, or the fact that I could only get them in C load rating. My other half and I may do some long isolated trips on gravel roads while we own the 21, and I want the toughest tires I can put on the rig. I would have gone with an E rating if I could get it in the 205/75 size.

Anyway, our rims are here, as are the Goodyear Endurance tires, and they will be mounted and balanced next week, all thanks to the incredibly helpful efforts of Corey at the local Canadian Tire store. As a matter of interest, Corey had not seen the Endurance tires before, and his unsolicited comment when they came in was that he has never seen D rated trailer tires with that stiff a sidewall. I am glad that we decided to go with them, they appear to be a very strong tire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Carlisles serve many people well, but I just preferred the extra bit of confidence that I will have in the heavier tires.
Based on the reviews you should be very happy with the Goodyear Endurance. Worth it just for some extra peace of mind when towing long distances and gravel roads. Nice to options.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Based on the reviews you should be very happy with the Goodyear Endurance.
Not knocking the tires, but can one rely on reviews of a 'new to the market' product like these tires? What will the reviews be five years from now?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
No complaints here. Stock Carlisle’s and have had no issues or any excessive wear in over two years.
Didn't give stock tire a thought until they keep loosing air and getting a flat . Used them 3 1/2 years and switched to Maxis 8008 . Much heavier rubber more like Michelins that we always buy . Never lose air anymore and feel more confident. Didn't want to chance Goodyear until they have been out there for awhile . Someone else can try them first . I will say though the Carlisles Escape uses are a lot better then other manufacturers .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Not knocking the tires, but can one rely on reviews of a 'new to the market' product like these tires? What will the reviews be five years from now?
You have a point about the new design. On the other hand, I am reasonably sure that Goodyear has figured out how to make tires by now. That aside, the speed rating alone is a strong hint. N rated tires are a different animal than most of the other trailer tires out there. The construction of the tires also speaks for itself - 2 polyester plies, 2 steel belts, and most importantly, 2 nylon plies on top of the steel belts in the tread area. All considered, I will be a happy guinea pig on this one.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:56 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
You have a point about the new design. On the other hand, I am reasonably sure that Goodyear has figured out how to make tires by now. That aside, the speed rating alone is a strong hint. N rated tires are a different animal than most of the other trailer tires out there. The construction of the tires also speaks for itself - 2 polyester plies, 2 steel belts, and most importantly, 2 nylon plies on top of the steel belts in the tread area. All considered, I will be a happy guinea pig on this one.
Point taken, but in my opinion it doesn’t take 5 years to start to make a judgement on the tires. Besides the superior construction pointed out above, many owners already have thousands of miles on the Endurance and are reporting even wear, reduced sway, smooth ride and better gas mileage.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
My understanding is that one reason Michelin tires r respected is the quality of their rubber. In tests I saw years ago their tires held up over time better than other brands because of the composition of their rubber, that it aged “better” and why they on occasion offer longer warranties. Having said that, I’m sure there are other good tires out there.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Roll them skins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
My understanding is that one reason Michelin tires r respected is the quality of their rubber. In tests I saw years ago their tires held up over time better than other brands because of the composition of their rubber, that it aged “better” and why they on occasion offer longer warranties. Having said that, I’m sure there are other good tires out there.
We have about 10,000 miles on the Endurance tires under the 21 since August. In 5 years these tires will be retired to my utility trailer for runs to the landfill. . Travel Trailer Tires don’t age out on us, they wear out. I also like my Michelin Defenders bought last December just after Thanksgiving. They have about 25,000 miles on them. Rotate at 5,000 miles. The Highlander is a 2012 and has 173,000 miles on it. Might buy a 2018 just because. I like to drive.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
In tests I saw years ago their tires held up over time better than other brands because of the composition of their rubber
And, the composition of the rubber would depend on the intended use. Winter ( snow ) tires have a composition that stays pliable at low temps. They also wear more rapidly. All Season tires are not good on snow and ice.
I just replaced my RAV4 tires with Nokian All Weather ( not all season ). They are good on snow and ice, but not as good as dedicated snow tires and they wear more rapidly than summer tires. Everything is a compromise. I chose All Weather because I do low mileage and don't want to spend money on winter rims or swapping them out twice a year.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:51 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
+1 on the Michelins - I have used numerous sets, and they were all exceptional. If they made a D rated trailer tire in the right size, I would likely have installed them for the 21. But since they don't, the Endurance will do nicely.
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote