aluminum wheel specs - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2017, 09:19 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21, July 2018 delivery
aluminum wheel specs

Hi gang, I am not getting anywhere quickly finding out detailed wheel specs from ETI. Does anyone know what the offset, hub hole size, and width are for the standard alloy rims ETI provides? Better yet, does anyone know the acceptable ranges for wheel offset with the standard 205/75r15 tires? Rim selection up here in BC seems a tad sparse. I don't like the tires they supply, so am trying to sort out a way of getting acceptable rims with tires mounted to them before trailer production. Has anyone just showed up at orientation with a replacement set, and if so, did ETI switch them for you and give you the $80/wheel credit?
AllanEdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You would best ask ETI those questions.
I'd hate to show up with four tires on rims that don't fit because you got the wrong info here. And, I wouldn't expect ETI to give you credit for supplying your own resin either.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
These are the ones that came with my 19. 15x6, 5 lug on 4.5, with a 3" back spacing. I don't think they've changed:

http://recstuff.com/trailer-wheels/a...trailer-wheel/

You can use either a 225/75-15 or a 205/75-15 tire. Is it just the tires (Carlisle) you don't like or the wheels too?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanEdie View Post
Does anyone know what the offset, hub hole size, and width are for the standard alloy rims ETI provides?
Ignoring the specific wheels provided by Escape, what's important is that they fit the hubs, which are Dexter 3500-pound 545-group components as standard on the Torflex #10 axle. That means near-zero offset (zero to 1/2"), 5 bolts on 4.5" bolt circle diameter, and 1/2" studs. It's unlikely that you can buy a wheel sold for trailers which doesn't have a large enough centre bore diameter, and they don't hub-centre so the centre bore can be as large as you want.

Quote:
I don't like the tires they supply, so am trying to sort out a way of getting acceptable rims with tires mounted to them before trailer production. Has anyone just showed up at orientation with a replacement set, and if so, did ETI switch them for you and give you the $80/wheel credit?
I assume that you should order the "Delete tires/wheels, install CX provided" option in advance. I'm sure that Escape is not set up to dismount or mount tires, and they buy them as mounted sets, so tires and wheels go together... as you're planning.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #5

It's mostly the tires I don't like, the alloy wheels would be ok, if not my highest preference. I want to put the toughest tires that will fit on the rig, and I am not impressed with the average opinion of the Carlisles. The hassle for me is getting the tires changed on the ETI rims. It seems the only way to do it is pay ETI to shuffle them back and forth with a local tire shop, which I am not sure I trust to turn out well.

Regarding the 225/75R15 tires, ETI told me that they would not fit. I originally hoped to use them so that I could use E rated tires. I will be ordering the high lift axle, if that makes any difference, but absent persuasion, I will likely stick to the 205/75's.

I had a look at the torflex information, but did not see any specifics about wheel fit. As to the offset and wheel width issues, those will be affected by the wheel well clearances, so ETI could overide what might otherwise be ok for the axles. If someone here actually has the 225/75's mounted, and if we are certain that the 2018 21's have not changed the axle spacing, I might re-consider going with the heavier tires.

Decisions, Decisions. Good thing the build sheet doesn't have to be sorted until May.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:32 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I suspect ETI says larger tires won't fit due to the space between the two wheels, that is, the distance between the axles. And I would bet the 2018 is no different as there is no report ETI has made new molds.

With the stock 205 tires, there is only about 3 inches of space between the tires at the midpoint. You add an inch to each tire diameter, now you are down to an inch of space.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
I suspect ETI says larger tires won't fit due to the space between the two wheels, that is, the distance between the axles. And I would bet the 2018 is no different as there is no report ETI has made new molds.

With the stock 205 tires, there is only about 3 inches of space between the tires at the midpoint. You add an inch to each tire diameter, now you are down to an inch of space.
That's correct. The limitation is the axle spacing and the wheel well clearance, not the wheel itself.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:

That is correct and the Goodyear Endurance are closer together than the Marathons were. Our 21 was previously owned by an experienced trailer puller who paid for the upgrade from Carlyle’s to Marathons at pickup time. The Marathons went 4 years and a lot of miles. The installation of the Endurance tires necessitated trimming a little more Plastic off the Anderson Levelers ( curved double chok type). The Goodyear Endurance are load range D. You can tow as fast as you’ll probably ever want to go and each tire is weight rated for almost enough to carry one half the weight of a loaded 21. I like ours and have about 10,000 miles on them since the first of August. Showing very little wear, no squirm, good in the rain. Have not been in snow with them. (Yet). Not to be flip about it but in my opinion you can overthink this. Just like tires on a tow rig, I will run the originals till I know for sure I don’t like or trust them and then go on the hunt for a replacement that suits me better and spend the bucks. YMMV “Donna”
Iowa Dave
Old 12-19-2017, 12:09 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
It's mostly the tires I don't like, the alloy wheels would be ok
Maybe the easiest way would be take Escape trailer with stock wheels and tires. No worries if the wheels or tires will fit since ETI ordered them. When you get home you can change to what ever you want and sell the steel wheels and tires on Craigslist.

Keep in mind if you take wheels with you for ETI to install make sure you also take proper quantity, type and size lug nuts for wheels you are taking. Lug nuts for steel wheels should not be used on Aluminum wheels and vice versa.

Cheers!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Maybe the easiest way would be take Escape trailer with stock wheels and tires. No worries if the wheels or tires will fit since ETI ordered them. When you get home you can change to what ever you want and sell the steel wheels and tires on Craigslist.

Keep in mind if you take wheels with you for ETI to install make sure you also take proper quantity, type and size lug nuts for wheels you are taking. Lug nuts for steel wheels should not be used on Aluminum wheels and vice versa.

Cheers!
I like that idea Kent. I don't see anything wrong with the Carlisle tires, but the OP definitely does. If it's a must that the Carlisle tires be replaced, going with stock would probably be the least expensive way to go. Replace them with whatever you like once you're home.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Going from a 205/75 to 225/75 adds an inch to the tire diameter so only half of this should be considered on each wheel. This puts the tires only an inch closer together, not 2. Maybe enough? I guess I'm not completely convinced that 225/75 won't fit, but one should probably trust ETI as the pictures of the new 21's show the tires pretty close together to start.

This is the only verbiage I could find from Dexter about tandem axle spacing:
"Axles should be spaced to allow at least one (1) inch of clearance between the tires under any loading condition.To determine the proper spacing, find the manufacturers maximum diameter for the tire and add one inch or more. The result will be the axle center to center dimension. If tire chain clearance is desired, additional clearance may be necessary."
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I like that idea Kent. I don't see anything wrong with the Carlisle tires, but the OP definitely does. If it's a must that the Carlisle tires be replaced, going with stock would probably be the least expensive way to go. Replace them with whatever you like once you're home.
I too have had good luck with Carlisle ST tires at least when compared to Goodyear Marathons
but the OP evidently has a different opinion and it's there choice.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Going from a 205/75 to 225/75 adds an inch to the tire diameter so only half of this should be considered on each wheel. This puts the tires only an inch closer together, not 2. Maybe enough? I guess I'm not completely convinced that 225/75 won't fit, but one should probably trust ETI as the pictures of the new 21's show the tires pretty close together to start.
225/75's "might" provide enough clearance from the wheel wells on my 19, but I certainly wouldn't be able to use my X-Chocks with them. Pretty tight as it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Andersen Levelers.jpg  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #14

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The local Canadian Tire store gave me a great price on a set of Goodyear Endurance tires, so I ordered them. I stuck with the 205/75's in D rating.

Still working on the rims, but it looks as though Canadian Tire will be able to order a set of alloys that will work.

I decided against going with the stock wheels and/or tires - I do not want to try to sell either myself - more hassle than it is worth, especially given the small market for them, if any, where I live. By providing my own wheels and tires, I get a $400 credit, which will make a reasonable dent in the cost of the heavier tires, and not spending $475 on the alloy package will go most of the way for an alternate rim set.

Once the rim source is confirmed, the wheels are sorted. On to the solar mount...
Old 12-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts everyone. The local Canadian Tire store gave me a great price on a set of Goodyear Endurance tires, so I ordered them. I stuck with the 205/75's in D rating.

Still working on the rims, but it looks as though Canadian Tire will be able to order a set of alloys that will work.

I decided against going with the stock wheels and/or tires - I do not want to try to sell either myself - more hassle than it is worth, especially given the small market for them, if any, where I live. By providing my own wheels and tires, I get a $400 credit, which will make a reasonable dent in the cost of the heavier tires, and not spending $475 on the alloy package will go most of the way for an alternate rim set.

Once the rim source is confirmed, the wheels are sorted. On to the solar mount...
Just make sure you get 5 wheels and tires and they are balanced, it saves you $$ down the road when replacing or if you have a flat.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:

I really believe you will be happy with your decision. Robert is correct
in his assessment of a pretty close fit on the bal x chocks but they will work. Not mentioned on this tire go round is the possibility of a large stone or a limb, piece of cribbing, firewood or
Whatever getting wedged between the tires. I’ve experienced this in another life and it can get wedged pretty tight in the right conditions. Easy does it
Iowa Dave
Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
What has the experience been in recent years with the tires Escape uses?
I picked up my Escape in May, went to Alaska, returned to NC and did not have a problem.
I understand tires r a very personal choice and some people have strong opinions and preferences,but the stock tires seem decent to me.
I guess only time will tell?
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
What has the experience been in recent years with the tires Escape uses?
I picked up my Escape in May, went to Alaska, returned to NC and did not have a problem.
I understand tires r a very personal choice and some people have strong opinions and preferences,but the stock tires seem decent to me.
I guess only time will tell?
Mine have worn very little and seem to hold their pressure too. I've only had to add air maybe 3 times in 3 years. The rubber compound seems to hold up, with no signs of sidewall cracking or other issues. There are lots of threads with folks talking about replacing the stock tires, but honestly I don't know what the fuss is about. When it's time to replace them, I'll probably go with the Carlisles again or perhaps Goodyear Endurance - whichever is easier to get locally.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
No complaints here. Stock Carlisle’s and have had no issues or any excessive wear in over two years.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #20

In answer to Moaboy, I have no experience one way or another with the Carlisle tires. I was just not impressed with the internet babble about them, or the speed rating, or the fact that I could only get them in C load rating. My other half and I may do some long isolated trips on gravel roads while we own the 21, and I want the toughest tires I can put on the rig. I would have gone with an E rating if I could get it in the 205/75 size.

Anyway, our rims are here, as are the Goodyear Endurance tires, and they will be mounted and balanced next week, all thanks to the incredibly helpful efforts of Corey at the local Canadian Tire store. As a matter of interest, Corey had not seen the Endurance tires before, and his unsolicited comment when they came in was that he has never seen D rated trailer tires with that stiff a sidewall. I am glad that we decided to go with them, they appear to be a very strong tire.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Carlisles serve many people well, but I just preferred the extra bit of confidence that I will have in the heavier tires.