Aluminum wheels - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2019, 10:23 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
I agree the wheels look bad, but it is interesting to me that I can't find any reports on the RV forums of a Hi-Spec Wheel actually failing. Seems like if this is a structural problem there would be at least one report out there of "my rim cracked and I am mad as hell". My recollection is that Thoer got some new rims when he replaced the tires on his 17' Escape.

Has anyone identified any alloy replacement rims? Also interesting to note is that Hi-Spec's web site says they are known as "The Safety Wheel"
Old 06-26-2019, 10:26 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Anyone got wheels that look worse than this? The other three are just as bad. Showed them to detailers and they wouldn't touch them.
Try a custom chrome shop, they can strip, buff and polish them. Of course the tires have to be removed and by the time you get done may be pretty costly. I’ve also seen some custom wheel that where powder coated that looker pretty nice , again not cheap. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I agree the wheels look bad, but it is interesting to me that I can't find any reports on the RV forums of a Hi-Spec Wheel actually failing. Seems like if this is a structural problem there would be at least one report out there of "my rim cracked and I am mad as hell". My recollection is that Thoer got some new rims when he replaced the tires on his 17' Escape.

Has anyone identified any alloy replacement rims? Also interesting to note is that Hi-Spec's web site says they are known as "The Safety Wheel"
Did the same looking you did, there have been some recalls on aluminum spoked wheels which have cracked but the Escape style is definitely not a spoked style. Hard for me to imagine wheels failing without some kind of media coverage. And any company seeking to hide a catastrophic failure of its product which could cause loss of life is hard for me to imagine. 🤔 But then again Boeing comes to mind.....
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:42 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
As I said before several detailers passed on trying to make the wheels look good again. I stripped them and tried several methods myself before giving up. And one could powder coat, yet that would cost about the same as a new wheel.

Am looking at Lionsgate Lynx model. Saw it on etrailer at $82, made in Indiana. My local America's Tire is checking to see if they can get it. They have Sendel wheels and the T-02 looks good too. No HiSpec
Old 06-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Paint 'em white.
Old 06-26-2019, 11:12 AM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Paint 'em white.
Worked for me on my car wheels. Painted them in 2009 and they still look the same. Paint has held up well. They looked pretty grotty before I painted them.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
05-11-2009 3-47-44 PM_0016_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #47

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just scrubbed off some red stuff and some "rust". It was dirt.
Attached Thumbnails
hub2.jpg  
Old 06-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanzan View Post
To the OP: Can I ask if the lug nuts were torqued regularly to the 95ft/lbs as recommended? I can see this occurring if the lug nuts were either over or under tightened.

Absolutely, religiously, with a professional quality click-type torque wrench. The rust streaks and hairline cracks are around the large holes as well, not just the lug nut holes, but good question about torquing.
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:43 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
I too had a detail shop look at the wheels to see if they could clean/polish them. They said they "could" but they refused because of liability ... because of the unknown cause of the rust on these aluminum wheels, and because of their view that there was a question about damage to the wheels because of hairline cracks.

By sharing information here, I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything. I'm just sharing information. By his own words, Reace admitted that he already knew about these problems, and he refunded my money. I expect he would do the same for other folks.
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #50

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaAnn View Post
Absolutely, religiously, with a professional quality click-type torque wrench. The rust streaks and hairline cracks are around the large holes as well, not just the lug nut holes, but good question about torquing.
I'm a little curious about the rust streaks indicating stress cracks. At first blush it seems very much like a magnafluxing situation. However magnafluxing doesn't work on aluminum. A dye is used instead to indicate stress cracks. Has anyone actually confirmed that these are stress cracks?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Anyone got wheels that look worse than this? The other three are just as bad. Showed them to detailers and they wouldn't touch them.

Wow! Yuch! They look like you've been driving through the surf at Oceano, Ross!!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Many years ago I refinished some VW alloy wheels which had been badly neglected by a PO, i put the car up on jack stands, took off all 4 wheels, brought them to a tire shop to have the (worn) tires removed and disgarded (they charged me but credited me this when I brought them back for new tires), and then brougth the wheels to a local sandblaster shop who stripped the finish, I then painted them with several coats of Wurth Silber from rattle cans, with a day of curing in the sun between each coat. Wurth Silber (silver) is what the german alloy wheels were painted with at he factory. I finished with a Wurth clear coat (also meant specifically for wheels). they came out looking like new. I waited a week for the paint to fully cure before bringing them back to the tire store for new tires, and mounting. had that car another 4-5 years, they still looked good.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #53

Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17. Looking for something else.
You can buy dye to check aluminum or alloy wheels if you have concerns about your wheels. Google-"crack detection dye for aluminum" and you will see numerous options.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Wow! Yuch! They look like you've been driving through the surf at Oceano, Ross!!
Right? Ok so here is what I finally bought: Raceline 810S Stylus. $90/each @ Discount Tire. Spent way too much time looking, however it got down to durability and these wheels are painted silver then clear coated which is the most durable finish. The outside of the rim and face of the spokes are a machine finish with clear coat. Many luxury cars now have painted alloys such as Lexus. Hope they last better than the originals! I did get metal valve stems so the TPMS monitor won't mar the rim as happened with rubber valve stems. Lastly, bought four Gorilla HC200 center hub cover for $3/each as I didn't want the EZ lube opening and didn't want the Raceline logo on the removable cap.
Attached Thumbnails
20190703_154619.jpg   20190703_144316.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Nice wheels, Ross. Sounds like they're a winner!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:20 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
From the manufacturer's site:
"Steel Inserts – steel sleeves are pressed into the lug holes of all our wheels. This allows the steel surface of the lug nut to come into contact with the steel surface of the insert providing the opportunity to achieve a greater torque. It also prevents the aluminum surface yielding to the steel surface on the lug nut."
They have additional information available at the link and elsewhere on their website.

http://www.hispecwheel.com/files/Alu...ilerWheels.pdf
Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #57

Had shopped etrailer and they recommended Lionshead Lynx- a painted wheel too. When I mentioned my concern about oxidation due to proximity to the Pacific they said probably not due to the steel inserts. Otherwise I liked them and they too are made in the USA. If I lived in the heartland I very well may have bought them.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #58

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
From the manufacturer's site:
"Steel Inserts – steel sleeves are pressed into the lug holes of all our wheels. This allows the steel surface of the lug nut to come into contact with the steel surface of the insert providing the opportunity to achieve a greater torque. It also prevents the aluminum surface yielding to the steel surface on the lug nut."
They have additional information available at the link and elsewhere on their website.

http://www.hispecwheel.com/files/Alu...ilerWheels.pdf

Thanks for this. I had the HISpec wheels on my 2013 19’ that were in great shape 6 years later when I sold the trailer. They are also on my 2 month old 5.0 TA. Perhaps because I wash my rig after every trip and each week on longer trips, corrosion may not have a chance to set in. I don’t know. Regardless, with this thread I will keep a closer eye on corrosion issues. But unless issues show up, I’m not going to fret about them. (Note: this in no way is meant to minimize the OP’s experience.)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #59

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
If our aluminum wheels start having corrosion issues I think I would have them power coated. I personally prefer the look of powder coated wheels. Also if the wheels have steel inserts for the lug nuts that are rusting a coat of anti seize will solve that.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #60

Quote:
Right? Ok so here is what I finally bought: Raceline 810S Stylus. $90/each @ Discount Tire. Spent way too much time looking, however it got down to durability and these wheels are painted silver then clear coated which is the most durable finish. The outside of the rim and face of the spokes are a machine finish with clear coat. Many luxury cars now have painted alloys such as Lexus. Hope they last better than the originals! I did get metal valve stems so the TPMS monitor won't mar the rim as happened with rubber valve stems. Lastly, bought four Gorilla HC200 center hub cover for $3/each as I didn't want the EZ lube opening and didn't want the Raceline logo on the removable cap.
Here I am barely six months later and can see the clear coat on the machined surface starting to deteriorate- especially those facing the ocean. America's Tire(Discount Tire) is taking care of me though and am going to get an all powder coated wheel. Hopefully that will hold up better. Below is the replacement called Raceline 15X5 944B Outlander.
Attached Thumbnails
outlander wheel.jpg