Andersen hitch - nut size? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #31

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
Electric tounge jack is really nice for this

dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:28 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
If Dennis has only done two Andersons, then ours must have been #1. He suggested 7 turns, we now find we use 4/5 max and the chains are super tight. Yes, side to side as otherwise the triangle gets skewed. Has anyone found getting the trailer to unhitch from the ball an issue with all the raising and lowering on the jack? Seems to me that a lot of pressure is placed on that piece of metal clamping the ball while doing this and I have wondered if that is factored into its design loads and whether in time it will weaken the clamp.

bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:12 AM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
It is no different than using conventional w/d set up and hopefully it is designed for some pressure. Either way, I just loosen the nuts without using the jack, the old fashion way.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:18 AM   #34

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
If Dennis has only done two Andersons, then ours must have been #1.
Didn't say that Dennis has only installed two. Ours was the second one he installed as of June 2013 when we picked up our Escape. I'm sure he's installed a bunch of them by now.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Yes, I am sure he has, we picked up in Nov/2013. Still a unique hitch as in our month of various campgrounds around southern Vancouver Island, we didn't see another Andersen setup. After watching someone with the standard bar type struggle, I am sure glad we went with it.
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Has anyone found getting the trailer to unhitch from the ball an issue with all the raising and lowering on the jack? Seems to me that a lot of pressure is placed on that piece of metal clamping the ball while doing this and I have wondered if that is factored into its design loads and whether in time it will weaken the clamp.
Yes, the Andersen No-Sway design puts a huge load on the back of the ball (and thus on the coupler latch of most coupler designs) whether or not you are jacking it up. This is why Andersen advises not to use it with one particular Atwood coupler design (which has failed for some people using the Andersen WDH), and why at least one member here has reported wear on the back of the ball.

A conventional bending-bar WDH adds downward force on the ball, rather than forward force on the ball.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Yes, I am sure he has, we picked up in Nov/2013. Still a unique hitch as in our month of various campgrounds around southern Vancouver Island, we didn't see another Andersen setup. After watching someone with the standard bar type struggle, I am sure glad we went with it.
I think you'll like it. I'm likely the one who reported wear on the ball, but that's after 9,000 miles, and it's really not significant. Regarding difficulty unhitching sometimes, I think that's a characteristic of the hitch coupler that ETI uses. It sort of hooks over the front side of the ball, maybe more than some others, so I sometimes have to back up just a tiny bit to get some clearance on the front side of the ball before I can get the coupler lifted clear. This can be a little tedious if stopped on non-level spot.

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote