Andersen or equalizer? - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-05-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Posts: 21
Andersen or equalizer?

Just ordered a 17B and would like to know your opinion on if a Andersen hitch is worth the extra cost. Going to be towing with a 2008 RAV4 V6 with the trailer package. Thanks
__________________

bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Posts: 7,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
Just ordered a 17B and would like to know your opinion on if a Andersen hitch is worth the extra cost. Going to be towing with a 2008 RAV4 V6 with the trailer package. Thanks
First question is do you need weight distribution. If you tow with a front wheel drive V6, the answer is generally yes, but not always.

Second question is how does each of the wdh's available perform. You will get alot of opinions but again, generally, the conventional "bar" type wdh's do a great job of weight distribution and an adequate job of sway control. The Andersen does a great job of sway control and an adequate job of weight distribution.

The Andersen can't distribute all the weight needed to get 100% distribution when towing a very heavy trailer, but this is irrelevant in the case of an Escape, since they're very light.

Lots of forum members are happy with both of them. "Is it worth it" is too hard for me to quantify. If it were me, I'd get the Andersen, but that is purely subjective. I like things that work in an unconventional way - or at least LOOK like they do
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:58 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
Just ordered a 17B and would like to know your opinion on if a Andersen hitch is worth the extra cost. Going to be towing with a 2008 RAV4 V6 with the trailer package. Thanks
I would go equalizer with reece cam locks.

but then i dont know much about the anderson.

i do know the cam locks really work for sway control.

Ken
__________________
2015 5.0TA, 2015 Silverado 5.3
TRAILER NAME: " SUNBIRDS EGSK8P "
16 to 18 MPG CDN Towing
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
dfandrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Ventura County, California
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Posts: 1,345
Here's what you are comparing:
-The Anderson


-the current equalizer (not the brand, just the type) hitch
ETI's hitch, as of the e-mail I received this morning:


Our Equalizer hitch is a Reese Pro Series 600 and comes with a 2” ball.

__________________
Don & Teresa
2015 17A: 2011 Honda Pilot
RLTW
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
First question is do you need weight distribution. If you tow with a front wheel drive V6, the answer is generally yes, but not always.

Second question is how does each of the wdh's available perform. You will get alot of opinions but again, generally, the conventional "bar" type wdh's do a great job of weight distribution and an adequate job of sway control. The Andersen does a great job of sway control and an adequate job of weight distribution.

The Andersen can't distribute all the weight needed to get 100% distribution when towing a very heavy trailer, but this is irrelevant in the case of an Escape, since they're very light.

Lots of forum members are happy with both of them. "Is it worth it" is too hard for me to quantify. If it were me, I'd get the Andersen, but that is purely subjective. I like things that work in an unconventional way - or at least LOOK like they do
Judging from the few times I've towed my 17B without the WDH connected, YOU DO need a WDH for the combination of the RAV4 & the Escape trailer.

As to which, I'd look for someone who has used both. I have the Equalizer type, and have been pleased with it (with no additional sway control). It is a bit of a pain to connect & disconnect, but you get used to it.
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,732
You will want the WDH to restore the vehicle to level and for a comfortable and secure ride.
I have the Pro from ETI and it works well. It is heavier than Anderson ( apparently ). I'm not willing to spend an extra $200 for Anderson for ( to me ) no perceptible advantage.
I don't have sway bars. I just load the trailer properly ( 320 ish tongue weight ).
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
-the current equalizer (not the brand, just the type) hitch
ETI's hitch, as of the e-mail I received this morning:
Our Equalizer hitch is a Reese Pro Series 600 and comes with a 2” ball.
Excellent point: Equal-i-zer® is a trademark; the general type of hitch which includes both the Reese Pro Series 600 and the Andersen No-Sway (and the Equal-i-zer®) is a weight-distributing hitch.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
... if a Andersen hitch is worth the extra cost.
Do you mean the extra cost of the Andersen hitch over the Reese hitch sold by ETI, or do you mean the extra cost of the Andersen hitch compared to not using any kind of weight-distribution system?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
You will want the WDH to restore the vehicle to level ...
There is no need for any kind of WDH to get either the tug or the trailer level. The trailer can be leveled by adjusting the ball height, and the tug can be leveled with help springs (such as air bags).
I'm not questioning those RAV4 owners who have assessed a WDH as required, or that use of a WDH helps level the tug - it's just that leveling doesn't require WDH.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,732
So, what's the advantage of spending money on some other method of leveling the vehicle?
__________________

__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
andersen, equalizer, hitch

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.