Anderson 5th wheel hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2019, 01:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Anderson 5th wheel hitch

I’ve never removed my Anderson hitch from the bed of my truck how do you do that do you need a socket wrench?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:28 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Do you have rails?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I’ve never removed my Anderson hitch from the bed of my truck how do you do that do you need a socket wrench?
With tracks you remove the pins holding it down and with a gooseneck you loosen the three 15/16 books and remove the pin. Anderson has a video about it somewhere, and it is described in your manual too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes its a ball attachment. We loosened the big bolts their were 4 (i think) two on top and two on side then removed the pin. We used a big wrench but it seems a socket wrench would be easier just wondered which tool you use we just tightened them till they seemed tight when putting it back on.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'd use an 18" long 1/2" drive torque wrench with the correct size socket, that way you can set them to the correct torque.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I'd use an 18" long 1/2" drive torque wrench with the correct size socket, that way you can set them to the correct torque.
Agreed.
For the Andersen Goosneck both the top bolt and side bolts should be tightened to 60 Ft/lbs. Tighten the top bolt first, then the side bolts. They take 15/16th “ socket.

Also I suggest you use a tape measure to ensure the rails are square to the front wall of the truck.

The installation manual is here: https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...17+8+pg+sm.pdf
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:16 AM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I think it's important to read and follow, or at least understand, the directions for safety-critical equipment. The less someone understands about how something works, the more important it is to follow the instructions written by the people who do understand it.

The "gooseneck" mounting version of the Andersen Ultimate uses a square tube which is pinned to the bed-mounted ball, then the hitch frame is clamped down with the top bolt, which pulls the tube up into the frame, then two more bolts on the side lock the parts together. If the correct order is not followed, the hitch will not be secure.

Just about any 15/16" open-ended, box-end, or socket wrench will work; of course a ratcheting socket or ratcheting box-end wrench would be most convenient. Some people can judge 60 lb-ft accurately enough to just use an ordinary wrench, but a torque wrench would be better for final tightening; since that means using a socket, it would make sense to use a ratcheting handle with the same socket to loosen bolts and for initial tightening.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
That's for the version for a gooseneck trailer, rather than the fifth-wheel conversion, but the base portion is the same, so the procedure for the base installation is nearly the same. Here's the right guide:
https://help.andersenhitches.com/s/Ultimate-U5-GN-Installation-10-2018-Low-Res.pdf
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 01:02 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's for the version for a gooseneck trailer, rather than the fifth-wheel conversion, but the base portion is the same, so the procedure for the base installation is nearly the same. Here's the right guide:
https://help.andersenhitches.com/s/U...18-Low-Res.pdf
Oops! Thanks for the correction.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Think you’re absolutely right, from previous posts I gathered Fox Hunt was a small person and the extra leverage supplied would definitely help insure proper torque. In this application that would seem important. Glad I went with the rail version, pull 4 pins, out and just a visual inspection necessary to confirm a proper install.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote