Anderson Hitch Camper Leveler - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
We probably have half of our front box full of plastic blocks and we use them. We also use rubber chocks because plastic can slide just as someone is saying that the levelers can slide. So can wood. We have some boards also but rarely use them, when we are out of the others. Don't know if the plastic blocks can slide but we are backing them up with the rubber chocks.

Haven't tried them on the onions yet, but we have so many blocks, might as well.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
and for dicing onions.

I use the plastic Camco ones for "small" lifts, one block thick and the wood for higher lifts.

Never had either move on me but the plastic ones are starting to crack and chip. Using them on gravel seems to be hard on them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thank you for all the input. In the end we found a neighbor who will be able to trim it for us AND help us level it. Everyone is pretty excited to see the new trailer so it wasn't too hard to find help!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I bet your whole neighborhood is going to want to see it

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #45

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thank you for all the input. In the end we found a neighbor who will be able to trim it for us AND help us level it. Everyone is pretty excited to see the new trailer so it wasn't too hard to find help!
For anyone else following this thread, the Andersen levelers are trimmed nicely with a circular saw set at a 45 degree angle.
Taking off about an inch seems about right.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:51 AM   #46

Grant, Adventure RV Repair in Chilliwack has them or can get them in. They are the repair shop for BCRV Sales. Talk to Kevin, the owner. He may be able to knock a few bucks off. 1 (866) 999-4560. I almost bought a set last year, but opted for the stacking blocks ETI sells.
Bob K (also Surrey)
Bobbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have been through the whole gamut of levellers. Used treated 2x6 and plywood for many, many years. A couple years back I changed to the ugly neon orange Lynx levellers, and carried two packs of them. Even though not great to look at, they do work great, store well and are light. I recently bought a couple Anderson levellers to use with the upcoming 5.0TA. They certainly are the heaviest of the three solutions, and will not be as good to stow, but I do look forward to using them. The thing is, I will likely still want to carry at least one pack of Lynx levellers for stabilizers, or even under the Anderson's, on bad slopes.

Will have to wait a while to give my thoughts on them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:17 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Last year we had a cedar shade arbor built at the house. I saved all the 2x8 and 2x10 scraps. The cedar was expensive and I wasn't going to let the contractor throw them away. Many have now been repurposed as leveling blocks. They are light weight (lighter than pine) and won't rot.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #49

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Last year we had a cedar shade arbor built at the house. I saved all the 2x8 and 2x10 scraps. The cedar was expensive and I wasn't going to let the contractor throw them away. Many have now been repurposed as leveling blocks. They are light weight (lighter than pine) and won't rot.
Thanks JStelly ! Do you ship free?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
They are so light they would almost be free in shipping. [emoji4]. Alas, the last remaining scraps went to my father who built bird houses out of them.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 PM   #51

We ended up using the Anderson leveler while parked on our driveway. We had to cut more than an inch off in order to get it to fit. And once on the leveler we were reluctant to pull too far forward so did not get the full 4" lift it could deliver.

In the end, we got 2 2"x12" 6ft boards and drove up onto that instead of the levelers. It was so much easier, the boards didn't shift as I feared they would. So now we have a 12" wide surface for the tires and several feet to move backwards or forwards and not feel the trailer could fall off as we moved it. Now too, we have a full 4" of lift so the trailer is much more level.

OF course we'll still need the Anderson levelers when camping, but for now on our driveway the simple board solution is the best!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #52

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I also got a 2x10, cut it to the lengths I needed and then put a 45 degree bevel on each end. The trailer goes right up on it with no shifting and the boards fit in the front storage box. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 07:06 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
2x6 is plenty wide for the tires, and saves storage space, though it used in the driveway and left at home, it doesn't really matter. I used 12" 2x6s for many, many years. I had cut a 1" bevel on each end which reduced the slippage of the block a lot. I finally gave in to the light and tight storing, though ugly, Lynx blocks, but do look forward to trying my new Anderson levellers once I have a trailer again.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 AM   #54

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We just use the Camco leveling blocks. Simple no problem with fitting and have always worked great. Also nice to have for landing pads under the tongue and stabilizers when the surface is wierd.
I switched to the Anderson levelers from Camco blocks. Must be human error, but on asphalt, they just slide back and wouldn't go under the tire. The last time, I gave up after about 40 minutes of trying and found a guy a couple spaces down that used the same blocks to lift about 5 inches. Grrrr.....
Old 01-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #55

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
From a mechanics standpoint I would try unhooking the trailer brakes if that happened to me and see if the Anderson levelers wouldn't slide then. I could see where the trailer tires may lock up when backing and drag the levelers. Next time that happens just try unplugging the trailer and see what happens. Just a thought.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote