Another Refrigerator Solution - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The markings on the replacement are: Marshall Excelsior
Marshall is probably the biggest name in propane fittings and regulators for RVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I used a Camco 59005 Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator as the replacement part. There was no research on my part in selecting this item. It seems quite popular based on the number of reviews.
I think Camco is popular simply because it's available. While I'm sure there are differences in both design details and quality, I have no idea which brand (if any) is better than the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Based on what I know now I would continue to install different brands and models because they all seem to have a certain quantity that are flaky.
I agree. The hardware is probably all comparable, none of it is great, and enough use handling propane with water and oil in it - especially in low temperatures - will eventually make any of these RV regulators stop working. Sometimes they can be thawed out (if frozen), drained (of accumulated oil), left to dry (of water), and will work well again... but maybe not. I consider regulators to be essentially consumable, unfortunately.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 19' Escape - 2023 JGC-L Summit
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I picked up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H regulator and swapped out the stock one yesterday. The stock one measured just under 11" WC with my Dwyer Manometer. The new one measured 13" WC. Remains to be seen if that results in better fridge performance, but the pressure is definitely higher. It definitely solved my 'low flame' issues with the Spitfire Grill running off the QC.
Any concerns with using the higher pressure regulator as both the RM8551 refrigerator and furnace specify an 11" WC?
DonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonF View Post
Any concerns with using the higher pressure regulator as both the RM8551 refrigerator and furnace specify an 11" WC?
Hi: DonF... Probably the reason behind the 11" WC spec is the number of RV fridge fires. All mfg's of RV fridges have had their fare share of them lately. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
I picked up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H regulator and swapped out the stock one yesterday. The stock one measured just under 11" WC with my Dwyer Manometer. The new one measured 13" WC. Remains to be seen if that results in better fridge performance, but the pressure is definitely higher. It definitely solved my 'low flame' issues with the Spitfire Grill running off the QC.
I ordered this same one from Amazon to carry as a spare. I'd be interested to know how it performs. If it's really better, I'll replace it now and carry the original as the spare. Thanks.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #25

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Does anyone understand the difference between the 253H and the 253?
Attached Thumbnails
gas regulator.jpg  
Old 06-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Does anyone understand the difference between the 253H and the 253?

The H just means higher BTU capacity. It's overkill in my application. The higher capacity regulator could provide low pressure fuel on the primary tank to a device (or devices)that consume up to 350,000 BTU per hour. Every propane device in the trailer running full blast along with the propane quick connect would not come close to that.

The output pressure is the same regardless - 11 wc. Mine measured almost 13 when installed before adjusting. The stock one was under 11.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
The H just means higher BTU capacity. It's overkill in my application. The higher capacity regulator could provide low pressure fuel on the primary tank to a device (or devices)that consume up to 350,000 BTU per hour. Every propane device in the trailer running full blast along with the propane quick connect would not come close to that.

The output pressure is the same regardless - 11 wc. Mine measured almost 13 when installed before adjusting. The stock one was under 11.
Question if you get the merge-253h do you have to adjust down to 11 or ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:55 AM   #28
Site Team

It should be set at 11 wc by the factory. Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2016, 12:03 PM   #29

Quote:
It should be set at 11 wc by the factory. Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.

Robert on the high capacity one ,what is on the side some sort of fitting , that is not on the regular MEGR -253 ? Do you know ? Pat
Old 06-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
.. Probably the reason behind the 11" WC spec is the number of RV fridge fires. All mfg's of RV fridges have had their fare share of them lately.
11 inches of water column is the traditional operating pressure for low-pressure propane supply, and has been for a very long time (decades); it isn't reduced from some higher pressure due to safety concerns.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #31

Quote:
I agree, but that flow spec is at 100 psi input pressure, which corresponds to about 19 C or 70 F; lower the temperature to freezing (0 C 32 F) and the input pressure is half as much... and output pressure will drop a bit.

Quote:
Yes, the target is the same, but reality interferes. No regulator can maintain an absolutely constant pressure regardless of conditions. I noticed in the information sheet that came with one of my regulators that the manufacturer publishes a graph showing the acceptable output pressure as a function of flow, and that pressure is expected to drop slightly as flow increases through the design range. That means that the regulator with higher flow capacity can be expected to have slightly higher output pressure at low flow.

The 11"WC pressure spec is a target, and part of a range of acceptable values.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Question if you get the merge-253h do you have to adjust down to 11 or ?
Quote:
It should be set at 11 wc by the factory.
Right - these are not intended to be user-adjustable, and are all (whether high-flow model or not) supposed to be at the same target pressure setting when you get them.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Mine was a little high. Would not have known that without a manometer. But, would also not have known that the stock one was a little low.
I agree that few of us know how far off of the intended pressure any of our regulators are running. The only thing that is certain is that if any of them put out exactly 11"WC at any moment it would be accidental.
Old 06-12-2016, 01:36 PM   #33

Quote:
... on the high capacity one ,what is on the side some sort of fitting , that is not on the regular MEGR -253 ?
The three versions of the MEGR regulator look externally identical; the difference is in internal dimensions. There is a gauge test port on the side of the (larger diameter) second stage in each version... I don't recall this on earlier similar regulators from Marshall (only an input-side gauge port).

MEGR -253L (low flow rate - olive colour on second stage cover)
MEGR -253 (regular flow rate)
MEGR -253H (high flow rate - blue colour on second stage cover)
Old 06-12-2016, 05:10 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The three versions of the MEGR regulator look externally identical; the difference is in internal dimensions. There is a gauge test port on the side of the (larger diameter) second stage in each version... I don't recall this on earlier similar regulators from Marshall (only an input-side gauge port).

MEGR -253L (low flow rate - olive colour on second stage cover)
MEGR -253 (regular flow rate)
MEGR -253H (high flow rate - blue colour on second stage cover)
Brian on the Amazon site the MEGR -253H is olive color and has some kind of fitting on the side . The MEGR they sell is just the metal color . Don't know if there is a difference in what they sell you in Canada or United States . We don't have and other hookups except for heater , oven , water heater for the propane . For barbucue carry seperate bottles so we wouldn't need the H propane regulator ? Pat
Old 06-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #35

Quote:
Brian on the Amazon site the MEGR -253H is olive color and has some kind of fitting on the side . The MEGR they sell is just the metal color .
Sorry - I accidentally reversed the low and high capacity colours! I should have noticed, as green indicates high flow in QCC connectors as well. Yes, the regular one is entirely raw metal colour, not having a colour code.

The fitting (which is on all of them) is a place to connect a test gauge, according to the description.

Quote:
We don't have and other hookups except for heater , oven , water heater for the propane . For barbucue carry seperate bottles so we wouldn't need the H propane regulator ?
As Robert mentioned, the high-flow version should not be required for any Escape, particularly if the standard regulator maintains flow at lower input pressure. I assume that they exist primarily for large RVs that have one or two large furnaces, and possibly an on-demand water heater.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 PM   #36

Quote:
Sorry - I accidentally reversed the low and high capacity colours! I should have noticed, as green indicates high flow in QCC connectors as well. Yes, the regular one is entirely raw metal colour, not having a colour code.

The fitting (which is on all of them) is a place to connect a test gauge, according to the description.

As Robert mentioned, the high-flow version should not be required for any Escape, particularly if the standard regulator maintains flow at lower input pressure. I assume that they exist primarily for large RVs that have one or two large furnaces, and possibly an on-demand water heater.
Brian good to know . I never noticed regulators had different colors until I started looking them up . Nor did I know there was high capacity and the regular . The regular one is $5.00 cheaper .money in our pockets ! Pat
Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 AM   #37

Quote:

Even though the HP is not needed, it should still work fine and not cause any problems? I've already ordered one and will keep it, if it will indeed work.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Even though the HP is not needed, it should still work fine and not cause any problems? I've already ordered one and will keep it, if it will indeed work.

Not HP, which would mean high pressure, but HC, or high capacity. It doesn't matter whether you use a higher capacity regulator or not - it will supply the required pressure.

Old 06-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Not HP, which would mean high pressure, but HC, or high capacity. It doesn't matter whether you use a higher capacity regulator or not - it will supply the required pressure.

My error, you're correct, its HC. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:07 PM   #40

Quote:
I agree - I've never seen a minimum flow rate for a propane regulator, and I believe that the intention is that any of these regulators should provide an acceptable output pressure at even the lowest flow you might need.