Another Refrigerator Solution - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2016, 02:27 PM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Any RV shop can adjust a regulator for you. You can adjust it yourself, but only if you possess the proper tools like a manometer, which is very easy to make. In fact it is a good idea to get it tested every once in a while to ensure it is operating at the correct pressure.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:57 PM   #42

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Any RV shop can adjust a regulator for you. You can adjust it yourself, but only if you possess the proper tools like a manometer, which is very easy to make. In fact it is a good idea to get it tested every once in a while to ensure it is operating at the correct pressure.
So Jim ... how do you make a Man-O-Meter anyways? I could use one of those as my column inches seems to be set too high.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:09 PM   #43

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
On a more serious note ...that charred baffel above someones refer really concerned me. I realize now that I need to learn more about propane installations.

Anyone know of a good reference for further reading? I don't want to go to propane school .... just need to be better informed.

Do our refers / furnaces / water heaters have an overheat shut off sensors / valves?

Tom
Old 06-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #44
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
The water heater has a high pressure relief valve in case of water getting too hot.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
So Jim ... how do you make a Man-O-Meter anyways? I could use one of those as my column inches seems to be set too high.
Hi: StarvingHyena... Depends on your "Altitude"!!! LoL Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:47 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
On a more serious note ...that charred baffel above someones refer really concerned me. I realize now that I need to learn more about propane installations.

Anyone know of a good reference for further reading? I don't want to go to propane school .... just need to be better informed.

Do our refers / furnaces / water heaters have an overheat shut off sensors / valves?

Tom
The hot exhaust gases from the furnace and water heater exhaust directly to the exterior. The hot exhaust gas on the fridge is dumped out behind the fridge near the plywood baffle. This may be typical for North American installations but it isn't typical for the rest of the world. Dometic does make a flue kit that exhausts the hot gases directly to the exterior. For some reason it's not available in North America. I think the direct vent is good for two reasons; one, it keeps the hot exhaust away from the back of the fridge probably increasing the fridge performance and secondly, most obviously, keeps the hot exhaust away from the plywood baffle.

I tried to buy one from Dometic Australia when I had my fridge out but it wouldn't have reached me soon enough. So I designed my aluminum baffle to have a channel for the hot exhaust gas to flow up and out without heating up the back of the fridge.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dometic flue vent.jpg (24.0 KB, 113 views)
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
A pattern we're noticing with our fridge is that it can be squirrelly on the temps for about 24-36 hrs, then it seems to settle in and stay rock solid regardless of the outside temps. When we have a trip planned now, we start the fridge up a good day or two ahead in storage and it seems to operate better once it clears that first day.
Right now it has been running for over a week, isn't fluctuating much at all, is well within acceptable ranges and it has been mostly empty this week.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:35 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
We've noticed similar Greg. Once I figured out that it took a good day or two for the temps to stabilize, I stopped monitoring it and worrying about it altogether. Works for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-13-2016, 06:41 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Once I figured out that it took a good day or two for the temps to stabilize, I stopped monitoring it and worrying about it altogether.
This applies to the big home refers, too. I recently had real issues with both refrigerators (home and cabin) and stewed and stewed over the temps after the issues were resolved. It is amazing how even with the bigger refers, holding the door open trying to decide what to eat can drive up the ambient temp in there; recovery time can be longer than one might think. And putting in half-warm food in a big refer really changes things. So I, too, have stopped worrying about it. If my milk is cold, I'm good.
Bellingham, Washington
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #50

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I've wondered if the fridge in my old trailer was any better. Thing was I never paid it any attention, as far as I knew it was fine. The RMD would probably be too, if I hadn't put in that thermometer.