Another Refrigerator Solution - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Another Refrigerator Solution

For the past two years we have been plagued with a refrigerator issue. Our unit refused to keep things cold while driving. Since Wisconsin is not known for hot temperatures we never had a good test of behavior over 90 degrees F, so that other refrigerator foible did not affect us.

We tried everything posted here on the site. I remember the dollar bill test, filling gaps in the door, fiddling with the thermistor, the list goes on. Our local RV dealer installed a flame guard provided by Dometic around the burner and we tried sealing the outside vent with a piece of closed cell foam. Oh, I might add playing with the rooftop vent and having a gas line pressure test. It appears that the flame would go out when driving, but who would know for sure. We even resorted to having the new double door unit installed under the warranty program.

We were out of ideas.

Well the solution has been found. A two day drive covering 800 miles and our refrigerator performed admirably. We can monitor temperatures while driving and have a new monitoring system that graphs the temperatures, it was easy to see how the temperatures were remaining steady.

The solution was a new pressure regulator on the propane tanks. We never had an iota of problems with the regulator but after reading about the number of issues others were having with lock ups, failure to transfer between tanks and how many people were carrying a spare,; it was time for a change. It worked.

So, if you are having related refrigerator issues, evaluate making a change to that regulator.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
We've had similar issues, however this last trip we saw temps up to 45 degrees when starting out in mid 80's outside temps. Hearing occasional screeching from under the propane cover and seeing somewhat yellowish flame on the stove I thought I would use my spare regulator and new hoses. Although I saw the stove flame be almost all blue it didn't work miracles for the fridge and we still saw 42 temps.

We arrived at Escape two weeks later for a service appt. and mentioned the above to Reace and asked that they better seal the top of the fridge as I could see through a 1/8" gap into the compartment and see daylight. He said they would have to pull the unit to do so. Imagine my surprise when later that afternoon he showed me a picture of the rear baffle with a sizable black scorch mark because the baffle wasn't adjusted to allow for the slightly larger RMD8555. The top seal at the rear of the fridge also hadn't been reinstalled potentially allowing exhaust gases into the cabin. After that the fridge seemed to cool better- 40, then we noticed some frozen lettuce. For the next three weeks it was 38-40 and that we can live with. On sunny days we run it on DC while traveling- we have solar.

These fridges are finicky we all know, and believe that as with a lot of problems it may be a combination of things that are often responsible. Glad it was simple for you Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
fridge.jpg  
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, I wonder if a fiberglass liner would not be a better substitute and safer??
Old 06-10-2016, 11:27 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Somehow that makes me even happier that I replaced the wood baffle with an aluminum one.

Good to know about the regulator. Ours, with the modified venting etc., works well in all situations except in cross winds blowing directly at the fridge side. I don't think the flame is extinguished but a strong cool wind directly at the grill seems to be enough to lower the efficiency of the amount of heat generated.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0297_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Paul & Janet,

We agree with your experience. We installed a new Marshall Excelsior regulator and new lines. The frig is definitely running better. Very glad we did that.

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Paul, what did you use for a new regulator, brand, model?
Old 06-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
If you are under warranty still and have the regulator that has the flag window they seem to have water in them quite often. Ours had water in it when we left the factory and it prevented changeover. I've also noticed pics here of that model where you can see water in it. Even if you're out of warranty if there is visible water in the flag window you'll definitely need to replace it.
Reace sent me a different type with the round indicator on top and it has been solid.
This could definitely affect all propane appliance performance as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
If you are under warranty still and have the regulator that has the flag window they seem to have water in them quite often. Ours had water in it when we left the factory and it prevented changeover. I've also noticed pics here of that model where you can see water in it. Even if you're out of warranty if there is visible water in the flag window you'll definitely need to replace it.
Reace sent me a different type with the round indicator on top and it has been solid.
This could definitely affect all propane appliance performance as well.
Gregg
for future any info ,on the replaced regulator , pics or name . Inquiring minds want to know . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Here ya go, Pat.
This is the replacement ETI sent. Much beefier with the round indicator on top. The old one had a round window in front with red and green markers in a circle. You could see the water drops in the window.
The markings on the replacement are: Marshall Excelsior
Attached Thumbnails
20160610_124352.jpg  
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Imagine my surprise when later that afternoon he showed me a picture of the rear baffle with a sizable black scorch mark because the baffle wasn't adjusted to allow for the slightly larger RMD8555. The top seal at the rear of the fridge also hadn't been reinstalled potentially allowing exhaust gases into the cabin.
Woah! That is a wee bit (after the fact) scary. Glad nothing happened, and they were able to correct it, and leave you with a fridge that performs better.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I used a Camco 59005 Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator as the replacement part. There was no research on my part in selecting this item. It seems quite popular based on the number of reviews. Based on what I know now I would continue to install different brands and models because they all seem to have a certain quantity that are flaky.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Here ya go, Pat.
This is the replacement ETI sent. Much beefier with the round indicator on top. The old one had a round window in front with red and green markers in a circle. You could see the water drops in the window.
The markings on the replacement are: Marshall Excelsior
Thanks Gregg . Pat
Old 06-10-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Woah! That is a wee bit (after the fact) scary. Glad nothing happened, and they were able to correct it, and leave you with a fridge that performs better.
Appreciate the sentiment Jim; Susan was a little shook up about it. I'm just glad it was found, especially as it was a "while you're at it with the other things could you fix this gap at the top?"

Reace & Nigel took very good care of us
Old 06-10-2016, 07:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Appreciate the sentiment Jim; Susan was a little shook up about it. I'm just glad it was found, especially as it was a "while you're at it with the other things could you fix this gap at the top?"

Glad you got your frig got looked at . And so good the dangerous situation was found . Pat
Old 06-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:

Ross, did ETI do the original swap on the fridge? Overall I am pretty happy with the new fridge, but thinking a bit more insulation might help.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:00 PM   #16

Hi Leon- a local RV shop did the swap. Wish I had waited and had Escape do it like you did.
Old 06-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Since this is the current fridge thread I'll put this data point here. Right now my trailer is connected to shore power. It is 90F degrees outside, 95F inside the trailer. The roof vent is open but the Maxx fan is off. The trailer's fridge is turned on to 120V and reads 40F in the fridge compartment, 8F in the freezer. That's pretty good if you ask me. I have the dual door model that ETI swapped in for me last year.

I hooked up the trailer to outside power yesterday when I had a plumbing failure in my house that resulted in my having no water this weekend. Meaning no bathroom. So the trailer is serving as a "lifeboat". Yesterday I had the trailer's A/C on so I could cook in it, but today I turned the A/C off. I turned the fridge on yesterday just to fool with it, but it took a long time to cool down.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Since this is the current fridge thread I'll put this data point here. Right now my trailer is connected to shore power. It is 90F degrees outside, 95F inside the trailer. The roof vent is open but the Maxx fan is off. The trailer's fridge is turned on to 120V and reads 40F in the fridge compartment, 8F in the freezer. That's pretty good if you ask me. I have the dual door model that ETI swapped in for me last year.

I hooked up the trailer to outside power yesterday when I had a plumbing failure in my house that resulted in my having no water this weekend. Meaning no bathroom. So the trailer is serving as a "lifeboat". Yesterday I had the trailer's A/C on so I could cook in it, but today I turned the A/C off. I turned the fridge on yesterday just to fool with it, but it took a long time to cool down.
Hi: Mike Lewis... We too are using our trailers "Umbilical" cord connection. We have no kitchen in the house. It's gutted to the studs and sub flooring. We cook and eat in the trailer and the contractor wired the new breaker panel with a 30 amp RV plug. The RML8555 is down to 35*F. Seems it does a lot better with a stiff wind blowing. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:48 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I used a Camco 59005 Propane Double-Stage Auto-Changeover Regulator as the replacement part. There was no research on my part in selecting this item. It seems quite popular based on the number of reviews. Based on what I know now I would continue to install different brands and models because they all seem to have a certain quantity that are flaky.
I don't know about the regulators, but I do think Camco makes a lot of quality RV products so you may have be on the right track. Good luck with that...
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:28 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I picked up a Marshall Excelsior MEGR-253H regulator and swapped out the stock one yesterday. The stock one measured just under 11" WC with my Dwyer Manometer. The new one measured 13" WC. Remains to be seen if that results in better fridge performance, but the pressure is definitely higher. It definitely solved my 'low flame' issues with the Spitfire Grill running off the QC.