Another Window Lesson - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 03:37 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
Another Window Lesson

Here’s another lesson we learned about the new style windows. Every hundred miles or so, pull over and snug them down. Driving down the road tends to make them loose. Having loose windows while traveling down the highway can’t be good.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #2

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post
Here’s another lesson we learned about the new style windows. Every hundred miles or so, pull over and snug them down. Driving down the road tends to make them loose. Having loose windows while traveling down the highway can’t be good.

We just traveled from Florida to BC and back with various detours and none of ours loosened.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
We just traveled from Florida to BC and back with various detours and none of ours loosened.
We too have never had this happen, but I have heard from one other member that this happened to on at least one window.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We too have never had this happen, but I have heard from one other member that this happened to on at least one window.
From their other thread it sounds like they had an issue with the escape hatch window. Not sure if the latch mechanism opened or the window failed. I am leery of the latch mechanism on that window. We check it to make sure it is latched before we leave.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
I have also had windows open on the road. For example, I found the small bath window open during a stop. And I do not recall even using it all during our stay and would think that during my pre-departure walkaround I would have noticed it. So, the only explanation is that it came open during travel.

Hmm...so just how “tight” does it have to be? If it can work itself loose, it seems that perhaps relying on “tightness” is not enough? As in, no matter how tight you crank down on the knob, it could still work loose?

So, then maybe it needs some kind of locking pin to physically prevent knob rotation? Or is there some other cause such as the mechanism allows the window to open without the knob actually turning? Seems more likely that the travel wind force is working it loose and it actually rotates the knob.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 19'
We had a window opened while towing once, I think it's because I did not "tighten" it enough when closing... and it slowly worked itself open during the drive...

That said, I had problem with window sticking to the trailer when not used for a long time.. the other day I was trying to open the back windows and both were stuck and when I turned the knob hard enough they made a unstick/peeling sound.. as if the seals are glued to the trailer..
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My bathroom and kitchen window works its way open sometimes I know I closed it tightly not sure why they open
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Try cleaning the rubber gasket around the window interior with 303 protectorate or similar product. It will keep the seal pliable, and less sticky, also on the MaxxFan gasket it helps. As far as tightening the window, I'd check with Hehr, as some have had the window separate. Since it appears that only VHB tape holds the mechanism together, I'd tighten gingerly.....
Old 06-11-2018, 07:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddoster View Post
We had a window opened while towing once, I think it's because I did not "tighten" it enough when closing... and it slowly worked itself open during the drive...

That said, I had problem with window sticking to the trailer when not used for a long time.. the other day I was trying to open the back windows and both were stuck and when I turned the knob hard enough they made a unstick/peeling sound.. as if the seals are glued to the trailer..

Open the windows and treat the rubber surfaces with 303 UV Protectant Spray. I do it mainly to lessen sunlight damage but noticed it stopped the glass and seal from sticking .
Old 06-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Open the windows and treat the rubber surfaces with 303 UV Protectant Spray. I do it mainly to lessen sunlight damage but noticed it stopped the glass and seal from sticking .
+1 on the preventative step.

The Airstream folks like the following tool to gently open stuck windows, its a cheap tool for the toolbox.

https://www.amazon.com/BDF-Equalizer...dp/B010EJ1GPE/
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 E19
I am starting to feel really leery of these frameless wiindows!!
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I am starting to feel really leery of these frameless wiindows!!

Mike,

As of today, we have full-timed 510 days in our 2017 Escape 21 and traveled over 30,000. We have not had any issues with the frameless windows. I would certainly buy them again.

Thanks,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Get that Fred; yet as with cars its not the miles as much as the age. The amount of issues with framless windows reported here vs.Gen 1 sliders seem significant. Crank windows by theselves are another wear item it would seem.

For a while Escape offered both styles, however Reace told me that Hehr told them they had to choose a style and form has weighed over function to this point.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Get that Fred; yet as with cars its not the miles as much as the age. The amount of issues with framless windows reported here vs.Gen 1 sliders seem significant. Crank windows by theselves are another wear item it would seem.

For a while Escape offered both styles, however Reace told me that Hehr told them they had to choose a style and form has weighed over function to this point.

I guess the point I was trying to convey was that, as full-timers, we have opened and closed our windows every day since we picked up our trailer and have not had any concerns.

Regards,

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fred brings up a good point with everyday use vs occasional use and has traveled many miles, again without issue. I'm of the opinion that tightening down too much or lack of securing the window can attribute to some of the failures.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Does anyone know what the formulation difference is (if any) between the 303 brand Aerospace UV Protectant and their Automotive UV Protectant? The descriptions sound more or less the same.

Has anyone used both/compared them? Thanks.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote