Antenna Mast - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Jim,
We were going to put ours in a cabinet as well, mostly because it's secure & nobody would know. (Now, every one knows!) But, we also have ended up with a plethora of devices that need USB 5V. for charging, and a place to set them. So, we decided to have the shelf above the passenger (foot) end of the bed, with enough room to put phones, 2-way radios, cameras, etc. I had ETI run 12V DC to all the overhead cabinets, so we had power there. (I think that should be a std. feature in Escapes!)
The 4x USB (has internal voltage reg. circuit to output regulated 5.0VDC) is an Amazon purchase. They also had a 1x12V + 2xUSB one-gang device as well. We may add one of those somewhere else in the trailer.
Makes sense, so many things use USB chargers now. I too had Escape run some 12V drops.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You might be able to hang another sewer hose tube under the trailer for storage. I haven't looked to see if there is room.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You might be able to hang another sewer hose tube under the trailer for storage. I haven't looked to see if there is room.
I have considered that too, Bob. With a telescoping one I could easily use something a bit smaller, or even make a fabric sleeve to protect it while in there. If I go with the PCV route, I would need something larger if they didn't fit inside each other.

I was also interested to see what folks considered a reasonable, but effective height. Obviously it will work if it just clears the trailer a bit, but would there be an advantage to go another 10' up. In considering a telescoping pole, I had been thinking of at least 20' (from the ground), with the capability of only extending what is needed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have considered that too, Bob. With a telescoping one I could easily use something a bit smaller, or even make a fabric sleeve to protect it while in there. If I go with the PCV route, I would need something larger if they didn't fit inside each other.

I was also interested to see what folks considered a reasonable, but effective height. Obviously it will work if it just clears the trailer a bit, but would there be an advantage to go another 10' up. In considering a telescoping pole, I had been thinking of at least 20' (from the ground), with the capability of only extending what is needed.
I wonder how high you need to go? Mine takes the antenna itself to just above the trailer roof, because that's how long my PVC remnant happened to be. (I'm of the "Myron school" of cheap, effective solutions). It's always line-of-sight", so if we can see the source wifi transmitter, then the only obstacles are rocks, trees, buildings and RV's. If you expect to camp in lower areas (i.e. like the premium spots by the river), or where the mongo-oversized stickbuilts are in the way, then that 20 footer may be called for.
I've thought about maybe adding another 4-5 foot section of 1¼" PVC. I think it would be rigid enough using the SxS coupler along with the 1" internal sleeve. The problem is, I got the 20 ft. cable from JefaTech, and it was just long enough for what I have now. I'd have to get a longer cable from them.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
The problem is, I got the 20 ft. cable from JefaTech, and it was just long enough for what I have now. I'd have to get a longer cable from them.
One of the reasons I am waiting to order.

If your exterior connector is near the mast, a 20ft cable should reach up at least 20ft, no?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:16 PM   #26

Quote:
One of the reasons I am waiting to order.

If your exterior connector is near the mast, a 20ft cable should reach up at least 20ft, no?
Jim,
Our 20 ft. cable connects to the back of the wifi Amp., then runs along the overhead cabinet to the front corner, down (behind the corner trim) to under the bed, then forward from the trailer into the front storage box. From the storage box, it's out through the slot to the top of the mast base. I just went out and measured: I have 7'-1" of cable available from the top of the mast Base to the antenna base threaded connection at the top of the mast.
I did it this way so I didn't have to unscrew any coax connection in the system.
We'll be at the gathering in Osoyoos if you want to look at it. (Wow, it's only four weeks from right now that we should be in the line of Escapes in Oroville waiting to cross into Canada).
Old 04-27-2017, 01:47 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
We have an Escape 19 and we watch TV, compute, etc in the front dinette. When we had the trailer built, we had an electronic port put in the front of the trailer which opens into the space below the driver site dinette seat. I wanted a way to put up and take down a mast that was easily storable and that minimized change to the trailer. I ended up using a two foot long piece of velcro attached vertically near the front of the driver side dinette window. I attached a matching piece to a 5 foot long piece of 1" PVC pipe, easy to store in the back under the rear bed. I use the mast for attaching a directional WiFi antenna that I purchased from C Crane along with a router. When I want to have a TV antenna, I attach a flat directional antenna to a 1/2" piece of PVC pipe which slips inside the 1" mast so I can rotate it independently of the WiFI antenna. I also have a Wilson WeBoost cell booster with a whip antenna which I mount magnetically to an 8" square piece of sheet metal that I duct taped to the roof of the trailer. The cell booster antenna requires a ground plane as well as a magnetic place to put the antenna. I include a photo of all three antennas attached.

I have used two of the three antennas at the same time with good results except when the RV park has poor WiFi as most of them do. I have often used the cell booster for Verizon access to WiFi as it is more reliable than campground WiFi.

I use the front mount because I know that the small diameter coax cable used with these devices is high loss so minimizing length is important. No cable is more than 15 feet long.

I am a new ham radio operator and I want to have both HF (40 meter) and VHF (2 meter) operation. I have a DBJ-1 J-pole 2 Meter antenna which can be mounted instead of the TV antenna, or on a telescoping tripod that extends 15 feet. I also have a BuddiPole antenna which I mount on the tripod so it can be more easily tuned and rotated as needed. I haven't used the ham radio gear yet other than a handi talkie so I will see this summer how this all works together.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0576.jpg   IMG_0579.jpg   IMG_0575.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 PM   #28

I just talked to JEFA Tech support, and got some great insight. She said that while the Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs is a great unit, and easy to keep updated, she suggested I look at ther JEFA Tech WiFi Repeater System XR as it uses newer technologies.

The main difference in the two is the former uses the antenna for receiving the signal, and transmitting to devices on your network. With the new one, the antenna only receives and amplifies the signal, and the indoor access point transmits the amplified signal. The antenna is way smaller than with the RV Repeater, and has a longer range than the larger one. She said users have claimed to get signals over two miles away, of course dependant on the strength of that signal.

The RV uses coax, while the XR uses shielded Cat5.

I asked about recommended height, and she said to place it the lowest you can, while still getting a clear sight line, this will provide a stronger signal that raising it up high.
Old 04-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #29

Quote:
I did it this way so I didn't have to unscrew any coax connection in the system.
We'll be at the gathering in Osoyoos if you want to look at it. (Wow, it's only four weeks from right now that we should be in the line of Escapes in Oroville waiting to cross into Canada).
One advantage of the Cat5 cable, is it is much easier to connect, no screwing.

And sure, put the pressure on me to get my trailer finished. 4 weeks, I can do it. I look forward to seeing you at the rally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
We have an Escape 19 and we watch TV, compute, etc in the front dinette. When we had the trailer built, we had an electronic port put in the front of the trailer which opens into the space below the driver site dinette seat. I wanted a way to put up and take down a mast that was easily storable and that minimized change to the trailer. I ended up using a two foot long piece of velcro attached vertically near the front of the driver side dinette window. I attached a matching piece to a 5 foot long piece of 1" PVC pipe, easy to store in the back under the rear bed. I use the mast for attaching a directional WiFi antenna that I purchased from C Crane along with a router. When I want to have a TV antenna, I attach a flat directional antenna to a 1/2" piece of PVC pipe which slips inside the 1" mast so I can rotate it independently of the WiFI antenna. I also have a Wilson WeBoost cell booster with a whip antenna which I mount magnetically to an 8" square piece of sheet metal that I duct taped to the roof of the trailer. The cell booster antenna requires a ground plane as well as a magnetic place to put the antenna. I include a photo of all three antennas attached.

I have used two of the three antennas at the same time with good results except when the RV park has poor WiFi as most of them do. I have often used the cell booster for Verizon access to WiFi as it is more reliable than campground WiFi.

I use the front mount because I know that the small diameter coax cable used with these devices is high loss so minimizing length is important. No cable is more than 15 feet long.

I am a new ham radio operator and I want to have both HF (40 meter) and VHF (2 meter) operation. I have a DBJ-1 J-pole 2 Meter antenna which can be mounted instead of the TV antenna, or on a telescoping tripod that extends 15 feet. I also have a BuddiPole antenna which I mount on the tripod so it can be more easily tuned and rotated as needed. I haven't used the ham radio gear yet other than a handi talkie so I will see this summer how this all works together.
Thanks for sharing your setup, it seems you have covered all the bases that I am looking too. I like how you mounted your mast holder, though not sure it is something one could do with the new windows.

I don't see ever getting into ham radio myself, though must admit I do not really understand what it is about. To what use is a ham radio employed?
Old 04-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim, get this all figured out so that when you come to the Mississippi Rally next year and stop at my house beforehand to drink up all my homebrews, you can install it in mine too!!! That JEFA Tech WiFi Repeater System XR looks pretty slick. From what they are telling you, with line of sight, there would be little to no advantage to getting it higher once you get above the roof? Unless you are parked in a place with tall landwhales on either side of you I suppose....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I am using a 5 section flag pole I got from harbor freight. It worked well for the first year and then the locking mechanisms all locked up. so I took it apart removed the locking apparatus. Put it back together with hose clamps to keep it from collapsing when extended. Works well. About 5 feet collapsed and up to 20 extended. It came with a short piece of PVC for ground installation which I clamped to the back bumper behind the bike rack. The antenna slides into that and rests on a jar cap I peg into the ground to keep the wind from pushing it over. Never had a problem.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #32

Quote:
One advantage of the Cat5 cable, is it is much easier to connect, no screwing.

And sure, put the pressure on me to get my trailer finished. 4 weeks, I can do it. I look forward to seeing you at the rally.......... To what use is a ham radio employed?
I either didn't notice the product, or it has come out since I obtained my amp earlier this year. Seems like the go-to choice now.
Cat5 is good as well; on the exterior though, it would be as long as there are screwed terminal or other secure/weather-able connections. I wouldn't rely on the RJ-45 connection outside.

Pressure: didn't intend that, but now that you mention it: "We'll see your new rig and its outstanding performance when we get there.

Let's see, what else: ham radio employment: how 'bout "communication".
Old 04-27-2017, 03:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
This lead me to another thought, would there be any issue with lightning if more in the open.
I have a telescoping aluminum antenna mast. I leave it attached to the trailer's rear bumper via a mount I had a welder make for me. When extended it is about 18 feet off the ground. I am concerned about lightning, so I bought a lightning detector from Amazon for about $25. When it beeps I lower the mast.

I have more than one antenna on the mast, and yes they do interfere with each other, but not a lot. The King Jack TV antenna will act as a weather vane and unscrew the fittings holding the mast up, making it collapse a section or two. It took me a while to figure this out. At some point I intend to buy a second aluminum mast to put my cellular antenna on, as the mast has problems staying extended with three antennas and their associated cabling, and I need the cellular antenna infrequently anyway.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:39 PM   #34

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
Quote:
I don't see ever getting into ham radio myself, though must admit I do not really understand what it is about. To what use is a ham radio employed?
To use a ham, or amateur, radio, you must be licensed by the FCC or your country's equivalent agency. I am licensed as KM6BYD.

Once licensed, you can use an amateur radio to communicate with other radio hams. The principal uses of amateur radio are emergency communications, public service (such as support for foot and bicycle races where there is no cell coverage), and general communications with other radio amateurs around the world or across the town. You are not dependent on any infrastructure such as the Internet or cell phone system. Why do you care? What if there were a disaster like an earthquake, hurricane, or a major event where everyone tries to use their cell phones at the same time? Radio always gets through. For example, at the Women's March on Washington, cell systems were overwhelmed so that even 911 did not work, and radio amateurs dispatched life saving services and passed messages to support the March organizers.

I plan to use it while camping in several ways: APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) can be used to report your position wherever you are as long as you are near a repeater system. For example, on a vacation last year, I shared my APRS info with my family so they would know where I was at any time while I traveled from California to Washington to Montana to Wyoming and back. I include a map generated by APRS of my travel. You can use APRS to share the equivalent of text messages or emails while you are off the grid. I also plan to use the WinLink capability to send and receive emails while I am in national parks. Winlink is used a lot by marine users who are truly off the grid. I also know I can use it while I am traveling to communicate with fellow radio amateurs about local needs should I have them.

Other uses include communication with satellites and the International Space Station. And there are other experimental uses like amateur television and SOTA, or summits on the air, where they try to communicate with other radio amateurs from the top of mountains.

It's a hobby but one with emergency and public service uses as well as hobby uses.
Attached Thumbnails
APRS2016-07,8.jpg  
Old 04-27-2017, 05:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I just talked to JEFA Tech support, and got some great insight. She said that while the Long Range WiFi Repeater Kit for RVs is a great unit, and easy to keep updated, she suggested I look at ther JEFA Tech WiFi Repeater System XR as it uses newer technologies.
Wierd, that looks like stock Ubiquiti Pico AP and Ubiquiti Airgateway AP plus a Cat 6 cable. Wonder whether they are just building them for Jefa with their label or there is something different. I use the Ubiquiti gear all the time for client installations and it will save a good bit of money just to buy the pieces on your own.
It is very good equipment and will work well in this application.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is one circuitous route there....
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
To use a ham, or amateur, radio, you must be licensed by the FCC or your country's equivalent agency. I am licensed as KM6BYD.

Once licensed, you can use an amateur radio to communicate with other radio hams. The principal uses of amateur radio are emergency communications, public service (such as support for foot and bicycle races where there is no cell coverage), and general communications with other radio amateurs around the world or across the town. You are not dependent on any infrastructure such as the Internet or cell phone system. Why do you care? What if there were a disaster like an earthquake, hurricane, or a major event where everyone tries to use their cell phones at the same time? Radio always gets through. For example, at the Women's March on Washington, cell systems were overwhelmed so that even 911 did not work, and radio amateurs dispatched life saving services and passed messages to support the March organizers.

I plan to use it while camping in several ways: APRS (Automatic Packet Reporting System) can be used to report your position wherever you are as long as you are near a repeater system. For example, on a vacation last year, I shared my APRS info with my family so they would know where I was at any time while I traveled from California to Washington to Montana to Wyoming and back. I include a map generated by APRS of my travel. You can use APRS to share the equivalent of text messages or emails while you are off the grid. I also plan to use the WinLink capability to send and receive emails while I am in national parks. Winlink is used a lot by marine users who are truly off the grid. I also know I can use it while I am traveling to communicate with fellow radio amateurs about local needs should I have them.

Other uses include communication with satellites and the International Space Station. And there are other experimental uses like amateur television and SOTA, or summits on the air, where they try to communicate with other radio amateurs from the top of mountains.

It's a hobby but one with emergency and public service uses as well as hobby uses.
Thanks for the great response. I knew it was communication, but did not realize the capabilities of it. It does sounds like an interesting hobby, and one easily taken on the road. I had thought it more like CB radios.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wierd, that looks like stock Ubiquiti Pico AP and Ubiquiti Airgateway AP plus a Cat 6 cable. Wonder whether they are just building them for Jefa with their label or there is something different. I use the Ubiquiti gear all the time for client installations and it will save a good bit of money just to buy the pieces on your own.
It is very good equipment and will work well in this application.
It certainly does look to be the same stuff. Looking at the Ubiquiti site, there seems to be a few options for gear. Would you recommend just picking up their stuff as opposed to the JEFA Tech kit. If so, what all components does one need, it looks a bit confusing from my newbie frame of mind.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Another source for fiberglass telescoping poles:

https://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-pus...tm#telescoping

I'm lusting after the MK-4-HD

--
Alan (KE5JL)
Attached Thumbnails
mast.jpg  
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Another source for fiberglass telescoping poles:

https://www.mgs4u.com/fiberglass-pus...tm#telescoping

I'm lusting after the MK-4-HD

--
Alan (KE5JL)
They've got super neat stuff. Could lead to a whole new sub-hobby of "antenna masting"!
Old 04-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
It certainly does look to be the same stuff. Looking at the Ubiquiti site, there seems to be a few options for gear. Would you recommend just picking up their stuff as opposed to the JEFA Tech kit. If so, what all components does one need, it looks a bit confusing from my newbie frame of mind.
Good question for the Jefa folks would be if this is just repackaged UBiquiti gear or if they add something proprietary to it.
You could use either Ubiquiti's Picostation or the Nano stations. Many of the RV bloggers use and highly recommend the Nano stations. The Pico allows external antenna which allows more choices, but the antenna they come with would probably work fine. Both of these units have very good range. The UBiquiti stations require POE (Power Over Ethernet) which is normally included with them. That piece plugs in inside your trailer and the cat cable comes inside and plugs into the POE adapter. Then another short cat cable goes from the POE adapter to your wifi router.
Inside the trailer, you could use any wifi router you wanted to. No great advantage to using the Airgateway over say a Linksys, Netgear, etc.
You do need to have some familiarity with how to use the Interface on Access points in order to hook it up,each time to the different campground WiFi source but it's not too difficult once you learn the particulars of how the Access Point interface works.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote